Medicines

Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

kronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant future
Default Medicines

Hi

I know all about declaring any medication that you're carrying but what I'm trying to find out is how much you are allowed to carry? I have read somewhere that you can carry three months medication with you when you travel and that you could also ship similar quantities out with the rest of your belongings.

As I'll have to pay for my meds when I'm out in Oz, would be helpful if a) don't have to pay for my meds for 6mths if I'm allowed to carry that much and b) extra thing I don't have to worry about when I first arrive.

Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicines

Depends on the meds- I took 6 month's supply of HRT with me as that is the amount that is normally prescribed at a time. As it is only a small packet and I declared it, I had no problems- they weren't interested in counting the tablets.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Depends on the meds- I took 6 month's supply of HRT with me as that is the amount that is normally prescribed at a time. As it is only a small packet and I declared it, I had no problems- they weren't interested in counting the tablets.
I agree, would depend on the medication. If you have a chronic condition such as diabetes etc then I think you would be ok especially if you got a letter from your doc explaining this.

Jo
Old Oct 28th 2009, 5:04 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
I agree, would depend on the medication. If you have a chronic condition such as diabetes etc then I think you would be ok especially if you got a letter from your doc explaining this.

Jo
It's always a good idea to get a letter from your doctor if you are on regular medication for an ongoing condition before you travel anyway, in case of emergencies. My husband is epileptic and before he came to the UK for a months holiday, he got a letter from the doctor detailing his medication - he took enough to cover the trip, but unfortunately, the dozy pillock lost some of it in transit. Having the letter from his doctor made it a lot easier to sort out help when we got to the UK.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

It just depends on how much they will prescribe for you at a time.
Be careful what you say because I said i was moving over here and asked for an extra prescription of vital meds to cover me and they said basically tough - it is not the NHS's duty to provide you with additional meds for when you are no longer living in the country.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Ms_Fi will become famous soon enough

My OH is on some seriously hefty medication and the GP is prescribing her 3months supply of everything - he's more than happy to do this as he says that'll give her enough time to get over, get registered with a doctor and get the new scripts sorted without running out.

Also, from what he's said 3 months is the most he can prescribe at any one time.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
It's always a good idea to get a letter from your doctor if you are on regular medication for an ongoing condition before you travel anyway, in case of emergencies. My husband is epileptic and before he came to the UK for a months holiday, he got a letter from the doctor detailing his medication - he took enough to cover the trip, but unfortunately, the dozy pillock lost some of it in transit. Having the letter from his doctor made it a lot easier to sort out help when we got to the UK.

I ran out on Xmas day in Oz (long story) so had to go to hospital for more. I had to go to the casualty department and he gave me 4 tablets to get me through (that was nearly their entire stock apparently, as they are so expensive) but that I would have to see a GP. I did so, and with the cost of the appointment, script and medication I ended up forking out $90 for a one month supply! Ouch. I don't blame them really but I have gotten so used to getting everything for free on the NHS that it stops meaning anything. We all have a bit of a moan about the NHS, but I think it's pretty good actually. By the way, the treatment I got at the hospital and docs was very good too.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 12:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
It just depends on how much they will prescribe for you at a time.
Be careful what you say because I said i was moving over here and asked for an extra prescription of vital meds to cover me and they said basically tough - it is not the NHS's duty to provide you with additional meds for when you are no longer living in the country.
Tell them its a working holiday or something, not that you are emigrating, they may be inclined to give you a larger supply then
Old Oct 28th 2009, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

kronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Tell them its a working holiday or something, not that you are emigrating, they may be inclined to give you a larger supply then
I was thinking about doing that, saying that I'm going out for a long trip so I could get a bigger supply. Thanks for everyones comments, its useful to know that I can take up to 3mths out there.