Medication

Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

chelsea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medication

Hi

My son has ADHD and is on controlled drugs. Has anyone moved to oz who is on controlled drugs and what procedure did they have to take to carry these drugs on the plane through dubai and finally into oz.

Chelsea
Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:44 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Default Re: Medication

Originally Posted by chelsea
Hi

My son has ADHD and is on controlled drugs. Has anyone moved to oz who is on controlled drugs and what procedure did they have to take to carry these drugs on the plane through dubai and finally into oz.

Chelsea
Hi Chelsea,

DO NOT TRANSIT THROUGH DUBAI IF YOU HAVE DRUGS - EVEN CODEINE which is a prohibited substance here.

You will be jailed first and asked questions later. The minimum jail time is 4 years with a AED 10,000 fine.

My advise to you would be to contact the UAE Embassy in the UK by phone and ask if the drugs are prohibited in the UAE, if they are ask if there any allowance made for this kind of situation. Back it all up with doctor's letters & documentation and get a letter fron the Embassy all duly stamped. MAKE SURE ALL DOCUMENTATION HAS AN OFFICIAL STAMP ON IT. No documentation is accepted here without official stamps - otherwise it is deemed to be a forgery.

Please do not try to just travel and hope for the best.

Good luck.

Last edited by ray2gill; Jan 25th 2008 at 8:49 am.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:13 am
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Hi Chelsea,

DO NOT TRANSIT THROUGH DUBAI IF YOU HAVE DRUGS - EVEN CODEINE which is a prohibited substance here.

You will be jailed first and asked questions later. The minimum jail time is 4 years with a AED 10,000 fine.

My advise to you would be to contact the UAE Embassy in the UK by phone and ask if the drugs are prohibited in the UAE, if they are ask if there any allowance made for this kind of situation. Back it all up with doctor's letters & documentation and get a letter fron the Embassy all duly stamped. MAKE SURE ALL DOCUMENTATION HAS AN OFFICIAL STAMP ON IT. No documentation is accepted here without official stamps - otherwise it is deemed to be a forgery.

Good luck.
Hi,does this include over the counter drugs, ie painkillers.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Call me AL
Well he did say even Codeine so I guess so, that's quite scary. I think we're going via Dubai on a trip back. Some homework needs doing
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:31 am
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Well he did say even Codeine so I guess so, that's quite scary. I think we're going via Dubai on a trip back. Some homework needs doing
We transit Dubai four times a year and always have paracetemol and codeine tabs.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Hi Chelsea,

Good luck.
Hi
Oh my god. isn't a letter from my docter and all my doctors records enough, because i fly on the 29th. When we went on holiday feww years ago i carried them through without a secound thought.
HELP!!!!

CHELSEA
Old Jan 25th 2008, 11:34 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes take syndol if I get a migraine/period pain as I cant take anything stronger nor can I take nurofen/asprin and paracetomol on its own doesnt work.

With that being codeine based, Im wondering if I will have a problem going through Singapore as I know in Japan codeine is illegal, but what about Singapore, does anyone know?
Old Jan 25th 2008, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I travelled through Singapore with a lot of different drugs. As have two kids with serious medical conditions. Nobody in Singapore batted and eyelid.

However I did make sure I had doctors letters detailing all drugs just in case.

The meds were in my hand luggage. To give you an example son was on about20 tablets per day! So I had several types just for him.

Only thing I got stopped for was epi pens.

GEMS
Old Jan 25th 2008, 11:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Codiene is also illegal in America.

You should always carry a doctor's letter if you are carrying drugs.

There was a case a couple of years ago of a woman being imprisoned in Dubai because she was in posession of valium (Diazepam).

G
Old Jan 25th 2008, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grayling
Codiene is also illegal in America.

You should always carry a doctor's letter if you are carrying drugs.

There was a case a couple of years ago of a woman being imprisoned in Dubai because she was in posession of valium (Diazepam).

G
hI

jUST BEEN IN TOUCH WITH EMIRATES ABOUT TAKING MY DRUGS, AND THE LADY CONSULTED THE MEDICAL TEAM AND BOTH SAID THAT AS LONG AS I HAVE A LETTER EXPLAINING WHAT THE DRUGS ARE FOR AND I ONLY CARRY ENOUGH FOR USE ON THE PLANE IT WILL BE ALRIGHT. BUT ON ALL THE WEBSITES THAT I HAVE BEEN ON IT SAYS CARRY ALL MEDICATION IN HAND LUGGAGE, SO WHAT I AM GOING TO DO IS CARRY IT HAND LUGGAGE TILL I GET TO CHECK IN DESK AND ASK THEM WHERE THE EXTRA MEDICATION SHOULD GO HAND OR SUITCASE. ALSO WENT ON EMBASSY WEBSITE THEY SAID THE SAME AS THE LADY FROM EMIRATES SO FINGERS CROSSED I WILL BE OK.

chelsea
Old Jan 25th 2008, 11:59 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
I travelled through Singapore with a lot of different drugs. As have two kids with serious medical conditions. Nobody in Singapore batted and eyelid.

However I did make sure I had doctors letters detailing all drugs just in case.

The meds were in my hand luggage. To give you an example son was on about20 tablets per day! So I had several types just for him.

Only thing I got stopped for was epi pens.

GEMS
Trouble is, as Syndol are an over the counter painkiller, my GP wont write a note for it - Ive checked.

I wonder if a pharmacy label on it would work - if I can persuade the chemist to put one on it.

Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chelsea
hI

jUST BEEN IN TOUCH WITH EMIRATES ABOUT TAKING MY DRUGS, AND THE LADY CONSULTED THE MEDICAL TEAM AND BOTH SAID THAT AS LONG AS I HAVE A LETTER EXPLAINING WHAT THE DRUGS ARE FOR AND I ONLY CARRY ENOUGH FOR USE ON THE PLANE IT WILL BE ALRIGHT. BUT ON ALL THE WEBSITES THAT I HAVE BEEN ON IT SAYS CARRY ALL MEDICATION IN HAND LUGGAGE, SO WHAT I AM GOING TO DO IS CARRY IT HAND LUGGAGE TILL I GET TO CHECK IN DESK AND ASK THEM WHERE THE EXTRA MEDICATION SHOULD GO HAND OR SUITCASE. ALSO WENT ON EMBASSY WEBSITE THEY SAID THE SAME AS THE LADY FROM EMIRATES SO FINGERS CROSSED I WILL BE OK.

chelsea
If they say to put the bulk of it in your case - i'd suggest keeping an extra day or so's in your handluggage -not just enough for the journey...
you never know what might happen and there's always the possibility of luggage going astray for a day or so....it does happen!
but at least then you'd have enough to last till you got more from another doctor/pharmacy in Oz...
Old Jan 26th 2008, 3:49 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Call me AL
Over the counter where? The drugs you can get over the counter in one country may not be the same in another. For instance we can buy antibiotics and The Pill here over the counter but you can't in the UK. Codeine is a prohitited substance here, there are many drugs which are in normal daily use in the UK but are not in the UAE. If you remember there was a lady thrown in jail a couple of years ago for having Codeine in her luggage.

If you must take Codeine and there is no other substitute I suggest you tell your Dr. that it is a prohibited sustance in the UAE and get a letter from him/her duly stamped.

Please remember all your luggage is x-ray'd here in Dubai even transit luggage. That is how so many people have been caught over the last 12 months.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 6:59 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

PP - Is Syndol the brand name? Can you give me any alternatives, generic name, etc? I have a friend who works here as a chemist in GSK and I will ask him if it's sold here and get back to you.

He may also know about Dubai as I think the topic came up on my forum a while back and he answered. I'll see what I can learn.

JFYI, nurofen is now sold here in Sg (has been for a couple of years).

I take a lot of meds (although mostly natural/herbal), travel in and out of Sg a lot and always keep the meds in their original packaging with the information leaflets. I carry them in my hand luggage.

Last edited by Kooky.; Jan 26th 2008 at 7:05 am. Reason: Got my wires crossed
Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nice

Well one of my sons meds (for epilepsy) is on the UAE restricted medication list (http://uae.usembassy.gov/restricted_medication_.html) so looks like he wont be going back any time soon via there (we'd just stick with the Singapore route.

We came via Singapore and they were not bothered, we even bought 1 litre of liquid medication last year when we came here on holiday (cause he was on a weird dose) and they weren't even bothered about that (no-one was really but we did have a letter from the Docs just in case).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.