Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare on a WHV or 457

Medicare on a WHV or 457

Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

amt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really nice
Default Medicare on a WHV or 457

Hi,

Heading over initially on a WHV for a 3 month trial period in 2 weeks after which if all goes to plan I'll be sponsored on a 457 thereafter....

I got the impression the UK had a reciprocal agreement with Australia regarding free medicare... just want to confirm this is the case and also whether there are any restrictions or foreseeable problems if I don't opt for private health insurance?

Cheers! Amy
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Medicare on a WHV or 457

The reciprocal agreement covers "immediate and necessary treatment". Not sure if it covers ambulance transport but I wouldn't have thought so as normal medicare doesn't. On a 457 there is a requirement that you hold adequate private medical insurance. Some companies will pay for this, some will make it clear to you that you have to have it but it is your responsibility to sort/pay for it (and as a 457 holder you have limited options and they are more expensive than if you had PR). You need to be aware of this and negotiate it with any future employer. There are loads of threads around this subject with more information if you search.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
we are on 457, and use medicare card from UK aggreement.

I have probably used it more than most people as have kids with medical conditions. Got an exciting 4day trip to Princess Margaret Kids Hospital on Monday

Anyway I have found it has covered just about everything. Medicare does not cover ambulance or dental.
So far we have used it for A&E,GP visits, Hospital consultansts rural and Perth,Tests, Overnight sleep study, Hospital Stay etc. They even got permission to import a drug from Europe for my son (not available here)
All using medicare UK agreement card.

Have to say I have been very pleased with standard of care.

Gems
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 12:20 am
Just Joined

amt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really nice

I think I am/was under the impression that pretty much most things were covered, however can anyone confirm (or not) the requirement described above to have private insurance on a 457.. I hadn't heard anything about this!?
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Sorry if I misled. The people I know here on 457s have it written into their contracts that they have to hold private insurance - I thought it was standard.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

We do not have private health care on a 457 visa.
It was mentioned we should get it by employer, but nothing further was ever mentioned. I know several people here who do not bother with private covers except dental and ambulance.

For us we would have to use State health care anyway, and premiums would be extremly high for my kids. Premiums are also higher for temp visa holder.

Gems
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
We do not have private health care on a 457 visa.
It was mentioned we should get it by employer, but nothing further was ever mentioned. I know several people here who do not bother with private covers except dental and ambulance.

For us we would have to use State health care anyway, and premiums would be extremly high for my kids. Premiums are also higher for temp visa holder.

Gems
We are the same. No private insurance on 457 and use Medicare with no charge no problem.