Reload this Page >

Medicare, uk or nz on 457

Medicare, uk or nz on 457

Old Apr 21st 2012, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

walshy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicare, uk or nz on 457

Hey guys,

Quick one. We are UK citizens, but having been in NZ for the last 3 years we are now NZ residents also.We are arriving in Perth in 6 weeks on 457 visa.

Both have the reciprocal agreement with regards to medicare but both seem to have subtle differences and im really not sure whether we should be aiming for medicare as uk citizens or nz residents, does anyone know if one is more beneficial?

Also, $130 for a years ambo cover on 457 visa, does this sound ok? does to me..

Cheers guys
Old Apr 21st 2012, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare, uk or nz on 457

Originally Posted by walshy
Hey guys,

Quick one. We are UK citizens, but having been in NZ for the last 3 years we are now NZ residents also.We are arriving in Perth in 6 weeks on 457 visa.

Both have the reciprocal agreement with regards to medicare but both seem to have subtle differences and im really not sure whether we should be aiming for medicare as uk citizens or nz residents, does anyone know if one is more beneficial?

Cheers guys
If you can prove residency in the UK (which might be tricky), then you can do the UK reciprocal agreement. A British passport does not necessarily entitle you to it. It is the residency status that does AFAIK. However, depending on the Medicare officer you have to deal with, it might be just a case of showing your passport and no proof of residency. I have heard that the agreement with NZ is not as comprehensive as the UK one but I have no proof of that and too lazy to do a search sorry If the entitlements are the same however, go with whatever is easier.

When we first arrived, they questioned my entitlement to Medicare because I had a French passport. I had to dig out the government literature where it clearly states that you can get Medicare under the RHA if you are resident in the UK. I had to show them that plus evidence that I lived in the UK and had been for 5 years before they agreed to sign me on. That was 10 years ago mind you so maybe they are more knowledgeable these days

Can't help with the ambulance cover as we get it as part of our private health insurance and I think in some states it is included in your utilities bills (QLD?)
Old Apr 21st 2012, 2:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
Can't help with the ambulance cover as we get it as part of our private health insurance and I think in some states it is included in your utilities bills (QLD?)
We get it free now, no longer on the leccy.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

Cheers guys
It doesn't look like you would qualify for the reciprocal arrangements with UK as you have not been living there for last three year. The arrangement is not applied on basis of citizenship.

Those from the United Kingdom, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Belgium and the Netherlands:
  • Receive a Reciprocal Medicare Card for the duration of their stay in Australia, from a Medicare office. Eligibility is determined by Medicare - they must have come directly from their home country to Australia i.e. have been paying tax recently in their home country. (Take proof of your country of citizenship/residence i.e. your passport)
http://www.austhealth.com/reciprocal-agreements.php
Old Apr 21st 2012, 4:12 am
Just Joined

Skipppy85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I found the medicare system quite confusing - I have a kiwi passport as I was born there but grew up in the UK. When I came over, I entered on my kiwi passport, getting the special visa stamp but all my paperwork was from the UK (eg travel document, proof of job, income etc). I was told on a couple of occasions that I was not eligible for medicare as I didnt have a UK visa or residency paperwork from NZ. Eventually I put on the waterworks and a girl felt sorry for me and sorted it out! I dont know how it works on a 457 visa, sorry.
As far as I am aware, medicare for kiwis is the same as aus citizens, but dont quote me on that!
Old Apr 21st 2012, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skipppy85
As far as I am aware, medicare for kiwis is the same as aus citizens, but dont quote me on that!
My link covers what medicare is available for NZ residents, it does not look like it is same as Australian citizens.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Hey guys, could get confusing then, as we have our home still rented out in uk so still get all my uk mail, including stuff from NHS for the kids etc so could prove uk residency, also only actually been out in NZ a year and a half of this second stint of 3 and a half years, so quite confusing.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It doesn't look like you would qualify for the reciprocal arrangements with UK as you have not been living there for last three year. The arrangement is not applied on basis of citizenship.

http://www.austhealth.com/reciprocal-agreements.php
Good link by the way, thanks for that. It seems it is much of a muchness really.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hey guys, could get confusing then, as we have our home still rented out in uk so still get all my uk mail, including stuff from NHS for the kids etc so could prove uk residency, also only actually been out in NZ a year and a half of this second stint of 3 and a half years, so quite confusing.
It really isn't at all confusing, you couldn't prove residency, the only thing you could do is fake it. Having a house and some post sent to you in the UK does not mean residency, not even close.

The NZ reciprocal cover also appears to cover all medically necessary treatment.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 9:21 am

Lily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really nice

i thought a 457 visa requires you to have adequate medical insurance???
Old Apr 21st 2012, 9:26 am

Lily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really nice

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-h...isa-holder.htm

still abit confused though what is covered...
Old Apr 21st 2012, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Over the last four years I was on a student visa for two years, a bridging visa for a year and a half, and am now on an 18 month 485 visa.
We have had Medicare cards all that time (which we had to get new ones every 3-4 months while on the bridging visa) and have NEVER been asked for any more than our passports.
Don't mention nz, you will be fine.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of

When we entered on a 457 in April 2008 you didn't have to have medical insurance but I believe it changed that same year so that it became compulsory.

NHS paperwork still being sent to your home?? Hedging your bets?
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lily77cat
i thought a 457 visa requires you to have adequate medical insurance???
You will have to get it before the visa is granted, but there is no condition that says you need to maintain it. So some people will just cancel when they get here.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 4:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skipppy85
I found the medicare system quite confusing - I have a kiwi passport as I was born there but grew up in the UK. When I came over, I entered on my kiwi passport, getting the special visa stamp but all my paperwork was from the UK (eg travel document, proof of job, income etc). I was told on a couple of occasions that I was not eligible for medicare as I didnt have a UK visa or residency paperwork from NZ. Eventually I put on the waterworks and a girl felt sorry for me and sorted it out! I dont know how it works on a 457 visa, sorry.
As far as I am aware, medicare for kiwis is the same as aus citizens, but dont quote me on that
Situation for New Zealand citizens is very different. Once an NZ citizen establishes residence in Australia, he or she can enrol for Medicare on the same basis as any Australian. The NZ reciprocal agreement only applies to visitors from New Zealand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.