Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare, u still need Private Insurance ?

Medicare, u still need Private Insurance ?

Old Jan 24th 2009, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice
Lightbulb Medicare, u still need Private Insurance ?

Hi,

This juz cross my mind, with Medicare do one still need a Private Medical Insurance ? what type of medical coverage does Medicare provide to an individual (either Australia Citizen or PR) ?
Old Jan 24th 2009, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Noocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to all
Default Re: Medicare, u still need Private Insurance ?

Originally Posted by sram466
Hi,

This juz cross my mind, with Medicare do one still need a Private Medical Insurance ? what type of medical coverage does Medicare provide to an individual (either Australia Citizen or PR) ?
You don't need private hospital insurance. The public hospital system here us first rate and very similar to the NHS. If you need treatment, you are served by the excellent doctors and nurses, and you don't pay a cent.

The only benefit from having private hospital insurance is that waiting lists for treatment are shorter and you are more likely to get a private room. In saying that, there are no waiting lists in the public system if you need immediate treatment. Waiting lists are only in effect for electable surgery and non-urgent problems, just like the NHS.

Frankly, private hospital insurance is a waste of money and for every person who takes out private cover, the government pulls money out of the public system, so the whole system ends up weaker as a result.

However, it is recommended to get private extras cover. Unfortunately, Medicare does not cover dental, so you can save yourself some money taking out extras cover, which provides for dental treatment, as well as natural therapies, optical, etc.

I have lived in Australia almost all my life and I have never had private hospital insurance, nor has my family, despite requiring occasional hospital visits for accidents and illness.

You're a fool if you take out private hospital insurance - you'll just be giving your money away to company profit - unless for some reason you won't be covered by Medicare.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Our family has had the best of care and we do not have health insurance.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Count me amongst the fools. We have had private insurance since forever and there have been a couple of times where the wait for a minor procedure which, whilst minor in their eyes, had a major impact in my life, was shortened by between 1 and 2 YEARS (we have/had really bad waitlists).

Yes it is expensive and for life threatening conditions public medicine will do very well but for other things you can be waiting in considerable pain for an awfully long time.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

I would also recommend ambulance cover (would probably be included in an extras package) as these trips can be very costly and the cover for a family of 4 is pretty cheap ($80 a year)
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

It costs us less to have the cheapest private hospital cover than it is to pay the extra 1% Medicare Levy - so I guess we're fools too .
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:41 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We're fools too, I guess. The extras cover is worth it to us. Both my husband and I wear glasses and we visit the dentist at least twice a year. I'm also going to need a knee replacement in a couple of years and will be very pleased to choose my own surgeon rather than luck of the draw at the public hospital. (Not that the public surgeons aren't top of the heap, just I want the choice of surgeon and to know that my care will all be by the same team).
Old Jan 25th 2009, 6:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You also avoid Lifetime Health Care loading if you take out health insurance in good time.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:26 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I'm also going to need a knee replacement in a couple of years and will be very pleased to choose my own surgeon rather than luck of the draw at the public hospital. (Not that the public surgeons aren't top of the heap, just I want the choice of surgeon and to know that my care will all be by the same team).

At least you won't be on the "long" waiting list for elective surgery. People can apparently suffer for years waiting.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice
Smile Re: Medicare, u still need Private Insurance ?

Interesting discussion and inputs on Medicare.

How about Dental Care Coverage ?
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, we are amongst the fools too. Our trips to the physio and massage therapist this year and our dental cover more than justifies the cost to us. Added to that the fact we don't have to pay the 1% Medicare loading.

Rudi
Old Jan 26th 2009, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sram466
Hi,

In my humble opinion you DO need private insurance. Dental costs are seriously expensive as are all the other extras. I had a bad run or luck last year and my total medical costs not covered by public were in the region of $20,000. I got $4,000 back from the insurers and $4,000 on tax so a shortfall of $12,000. The insurer also paid out for other stuff as did medicare. The problem was dental - a complicated problem with an old bridge and a tiny mole near my eye. There is a also a levy for those above a certain income level and it is easier to take out insurance when you first arrive even if you are older. Well that is my two pence worth. Sue
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by suebrennan
In my humble opinion you DO need private insurance. Dental costs are seriously expensive as are all the other extras. I had a bad run or luck last year and my total medical costs not covered by public were in the region of $20,000. I got $4,000 back from the insurers and $4,000 on tax so a shortfall of $12,000. The insurer also paid out for other stuff as did medicare. The problem was dental - a complicated problem with an old bridge and a tiny mole near my eye. There is a also a levy for those above a certain income level and it is easier to take out insurance when you first arrive even if you are older. Well that is my two pence worth. Sue
Hi Sue,

Any ideal what the cost of a basic Medical and Dental Insurance for a family of 4 - 3 Adults and 1 child, age 10 ?

Thanks alot.