Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

medicare - is this right???

medicare - is this right???

Old Jan 7th 2005, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about
Default medicare - is this right???

went to medicare in whitfords this morning where i was told i could not get a medicare card/register with them on the visa i'm currently holding (prospective marriage/T300(?)).
i would be entitled to emergency care and if i had to visit a doctor i'd have to go in to medicare and they'd sort out the bill for me under some sort of reciprical (???) health care agreement.

i was told i'd have to wait till i got married to the man to register for medicare - surely this cant be right - especially as i'll be on a temp visa for another two years from then and being on a temp visa seemed to be the reason i couldnt register now...

help!

thanks, tanja
Old Jan 7th 2005, 1:38 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: medicare - is this right???

Originally Posted by sunny side up
went to medicare in whitfords this morning where i was told i could not get a medicare card/register with them on the visa i'm currently holding (prospective marriage/T300(?)).
i would be entitled to emergency care and if i had to visit a doctor i'd have to go in to medicare and they'd sort out the bill for me under some sort of reciprical (???) health care agreement.

i was told i'd have to wait till i got married to the man to register for medicare - surely this cant be right - especially as i'll be on a temp visa for another two years from then and being on a temp visa seemed to be the reason i couldnt register now...

help!

thanks, tanja

Can't see why it would be right, I got a medicare card on my WHV and 2 yr de facto. Having said that the UK has reciprocal rights with Australia - have you checked to see if the Netherlands has? Only reason I can think of!

[edit]
Just re-read your post, seems like they've already acknowledged you have reciprocal rights. Never heard of anyone with a visa more than an ETA being refused before Perhaps someone in the know will be able to help!

Last edited by mlbonner; Jan 7th 2005 at 1:41 am.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about

yep - the netherlands have them too!

so its reciprocal and not reciprical - thanks!

tanja
Old Jan 7th 2005, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

rancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant future

im in the exact same position they told me the same thing its wierd how you get it if your a traveller and not a temp resident! i think its wrong somewhere............... let me know your progress!
Old Jan 7th 2005, 1:55 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by rancid
im in the exact same position they told me the same thing its wierd how you get it if your a traveller and not a temp resident! i think its wrong somewhere............... let me know your progress!

Well, I'm a temp resident & I have it. I can't think of anyone I know on a temp. visa (spouse or 457) that doesn't have it!
Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:01 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i thought the 457 visa conditions stipulated the employer *had* to provide private medical cover, therefore removes the need for entitlement to medicare.

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Well, I'm a temp resident & I have it. I can't think of anyone I know on a temp. visa (spouse or 457) that doesn't have it!
Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:08 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by brisnick
i thought the 457 visa conditions stipulated the employer *had* to provide private medical cover, therefore removes the need for entitlement to medicare.

You could be right. Just know that all my temp. visa friends have healthcare. Probably for the 457 it was my pressumption that meant medicare.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I came in on a Prospective Spouse Visa, and was given a temporary card which entitled me to Reciprocal Care - just as if I was on Medicare. I did use Medicare while on that visa - it wasn't bulk-billing so I had to pay, but got half the cost back. Also showed the card when I got a prescription and that kept the cost down there. Maybe soemthing to do with different rules on the scheme between Oz and the Netherlands as opposed to Oz and the UK?

Had to get a new card after I got the Temp Res visa.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:29 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Maybe soemthing to do with different rules on the scheme between Oz and the Netherlands as opposed to Oz and the UK?

Had to get a new card after I got the Temp Res visa.

I thought this, just checked Reciprocal Agreement and it seems the Netherlands has the same agreement as the UK.

It does actually say here that you're not eligible for medicare while on a temp (pros marriage) visa until your PR is lodged. Don't know how I managed to get one while on a WHV then. I pressume that because my visa leads to PR now there was no probs with me getting medicare.

The good news is that following the first link, you'll still get all the benefits of medicare, just without a card.

The plot thickens!

Last edited by mlbonner; Jan 7th 2005 at 2:33 am.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:34 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought this, just checked Reciprocal Agreement and it seems the Netherlands has the same agreement as the UK.

It does actually say here that you're not eligible for medicare while on a temp visa until your PR is lodged. Don't know how I managed to get one while on a WHV then. I pressume that because my visa leads to PR now there was no probs with me getting medicare.

The good news is that following the first link, you'll still get all the benefits of medicare, just without a card.

The plot thickens!
You are eligible for medicare if you have an application for a permanent visa. 309ers have a permanent visa application in place. Not sure about a fiancee visa holder. Back in 97 as a WHVer I had a medicare card but regulations or practise may have changed.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:42 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by bondipom
Back in 97 as a WHVer I had a medicare card but regulations or practise may have changed.

I had one in 2003!
Old Jan 7th 2005, 4:11 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

I am on a 457 temp and NOT entitled to Medicare.
However, UK has a reciprocal arrangement so that should have entitled me!
BUT despite having a British passport, becuase I lived in Ireland for the last 8 years, Medicare considers me "not" a UK resident and therefore NOT entitled to any reciproical arrangement as Ireland doesn't have one!
Becuase of this, my employer HAD to take out private health insurance for me and my family (he thought I would get Medicare too so he was just as miffed!)

Andrew
Old Jan 7th 2005, 5:17 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

The answer to your question is that you can NOT get a medicare card on a finace visa. Once you have married and then apply for the spouse visa and once that has been accepted, THEN you can go and get a medicare card. You still will be a temp for 2 years but you will be covered. So down the JP's office.

We have just (yesterday) handed in our spouse application and await for DIMIA to rubber stamp it.

So far no one has been sick, but I feel my luck is just about to run out.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 5:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren
The answer to your question is that you can NOT get a medicare card on a finace visa. Once you have married and then apply for the spouse visa and once that has been accepted, THEN you can go and get a medicare card. You still will be a temp for 2 years but you will be covered. So down the JP's office.

We have just (yesterday) handed in our spouse application and await for DIMIA to rubber stamp it.

So far no one has been sick, but I feel my luck is just about to run out.
Not arguing with you at all Siren, but I honestly did have one, and used it. Guess it proves some offices interpret the rules different from others?
Old Jan 7th 2005, 5:58 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

yeah, i had one in 2001 - though they wanted to see my uk medical card to prove i was eligible (trust me to try and get it in the backwaters of port augusta) - but i managed to blag one anyway by showing my uk driving license proved i was a resident as the date on it was only 4 months previous.

Originally Posted by bondipom
Back in 97 as a WHVer I had a medicare card but regulations or practise may have changed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.