Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare - Registration Problems

Wikiposts

Medicare - Registration Problems

Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare - Registration Problems

[QUOTE=Swerv-o]
Originally Posted by NickyP

Oh no, she was the most stunning Doctor I had ever met - it was hard not to hang on her every word, drooling like an imbecile...

S
I have only ever seen stunningly gorgeous doctors when in embarrassing positions. Why is it that the gynaecologists that you see when hugely pregnant and flat on your back in a hospital are gorgeous Life can be so cruel
Nicky
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:08 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Go for it
Hmm. I have a plan. How about if I don't touch alcohol all week, then drink furiously at the weekend to make up for it...

Oh, hold on...

I'll end up on the front page of the daily mail...

S
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Hmm. I have a plan. How about if I don't touch alcohol all week, then drink furiously at the weekend to make up for it...

It works for me
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:10 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=NickyP]
I have only ever seen stunningly gorgeous doctors when in embarrassing positions. Why is it that the gynaecologists that you see when hugely pregnant and flat on your back in a hospital are gorgeous Life can be so cruel
Nicky
I agree. The Dr that did my meds was gorgeous too. It all got a bit hairy when it came to the hold and cough part... :scared:

S
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Swerv-o]
Originally Posted by NickyP

I agree. The Dr that did my meds was gorgeous too. It all got a bit hairy when it came to the hold and cough part... :scared:

S
PMSL
Nicky
Old Oct 10th 2006, 10:55 pm
mjj
Forum Regular

mjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura about

I registered with Medicare yesterday and it took 15 minutes. I took in my passport, employment contract and a letter from our removal company that proved we are shipping all of our possessions over. Apparently they need to see evidence that you are serious about permanently settling in Australia.

Remember that this country is obsessed with ID. I had an absolute nightmare here just buying a car because I had to produce loads of ID.

mjj

Hi all,

I though I'd share with you the problems I am experiencing in registering with Medicare, just so that you may be forewarned.

I went in this morning to try and register and was told that the documents I had 'were not the right ones'. I took my passport with my visa, my contract from my job, my TFN advice letter and my local bank cards, as it suggests on the Medicare web site.

The (unhelpful) bloke behind the desk said that I needed more ID to prove that I was actually living here. Now, as I am in a shared house, and have only been here 10 weeks, I don't have any bills with my name and address on. I havn't received any bank statements yet and my credit card hasn't been approved yet.

So at the mnoment I'm really struggling with this. Has anybody else found this?

They gave me a really 'useful' sheet, and they are asking for things like letters form my previous employer stating that I have left, evidence of the sale of my UK property, customs documents relating to importing my possessions or evidence of closure of UK banking facilities. They also suggested that I could get a letter from the British High Commission stating that I have left the UK! I can imagine how easy that will be to get hold of...

Part of the problem is that I opened my bank account before I arrived, so don't have any documentation of having opened one after arrival. It seems that the system is heavily loaded against the independent traveller who comes with a couple of suitcases, then stays in shared accommodation.

Problem is that I could really do with going to see the Doctor, as I have had strange stomacg pains for the last 2 weeks, and they don't show any signs of going away...

Any suggestions?

S
Old Oct 10th 2006, 11:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mjj
I registered with Medicare yesterday and it took 15 minutes. I took in my passport, employment contract and a letter from our removal company that proved we are shipping all of our possessions over. Apparently they need to see evidence that you are serious about permanently settling in Australia.

Remember that this country is obsessed with ID. I had an absolute nightmare here just buying a car because I had to produce loads of ID.

mjj
As Jeremy said earlier, all they really need is the passport and visa. If they insist on anything else you have a right to ask to speak to the supervisor. the only time there is likely to be a problem is within the first week after you land, because it takes a few days for the DIMA computer (which knows you have arrived) to link up with the Medicare one.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 11:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As Jeremy said earlier, all they really need is the passport and visa. If they insist on anything else you have a right to ask to speak to the supervisor. the only time there is likely to be a problem is within the first week after you land, because it takes a few days for the DIMA computer (which knows you have arrived) to link up with the Medicare one.
If you are an Australian citizen returning from overseas, or a newly arrived New Zealander, then they normally do need to see proof you're living in Australia - not just visiting.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 12:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you are an Australian citizen returning from overseas, or a newly arrived New Zealander, then they normally do need to see proof you're living in Australia - not just visiting.
Fair enough, I assumed the poster was a new migrant.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

when we first registered, we just showed our passports.

When we got our PR visas, a woman told me I had to complete a long form and provide various bits of paper.

I ended up going to another office, they checked PR visa, and took my temp Medicare card....deed was done.

It seems there is little consistency between offices. Ones in city centre are most used to new migrant arrivals.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. I have a plan. How about if I don't touch alcohol all week, then drink furiously at the weekend to make up for it.

S
Weekend in Tas starts monday morning, ends sunday 23.59.

your proposed plan works for us !
Old Oct 11th 2006, 4:26 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Our medicare card was a bit tricky because hubby decided it was going in his name - him being the "man of the house" and the Aussie citizen. Unfortunately for him they wouldn't do it because he couldn't prove where he lived and that he would be here permanently and they didn't have him on their computer. After the guy behind the desk trying all manner of permutations, I suggested it went in my name as I have a visa - done in five minutes
Old Oct 11th 2006, 4:53 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

We had problems getting a full medicare card when we applied for PR while being in Australia on a 457. I went in with printouts from Medicare's own website that said we were entitled to it etc but the person at the office - smack back in Sydney's CBD - refused to help us. We insisted on seeing a manager, who wouldn't see us but admitted we may be correct and they then agreed to send our details off to the head office who would make a decision about it.

Luck of the draw with Medicare offices...
Old Oct 11th 2006, 5:00 pm
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by chels
We had problems getting a full medicare card when we applied for PR while being in Australia on a 457. I went in with printouts from Medicare's own website that said we were entitled to it etc but the person at the office - smack back in Sydney's CBD - refused to help us. We insisted on seeing a manager, who wouldn't see us but admitted we may be correct and they then agreed to send our details off to the head office who would make a decision about it.

Luck of the draw with Medicare offices...
What a lottery.

Well, I've been to see the quack now, and I have a months worth of pills. They sorted me out using the reciprocal agreement, so I only paid the Medicare price, not the full price.

And it's just as well that I have a months worth, as the bank said that I would receive the statement with my address on in TEN working days time!

Sense of urgency? Hmm...

S
Old Oct 11th 2006, 5:13 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

What a lottery.

Well, I've been to see the quack now, and I have a months worth of pills. They sorted me out using the reciprocal agreement, so I only paid the Medicare price, not the full price.

And it's just as well that I have a months worth, as the bank said that I would receive the statement with my address on in TEN working days time!

Sense of urgency? Hmm...

S
How much was the prescription? Am I right in thinking that there isn't a standard prescription charge in Australia and it differs according to the medicine? or I have got that wrong?? Not needed any drugs yet thankfully

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.