Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare question on tax return

Medicare question on tax return

Old Jul 7th 2010, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

ginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Medicare question on tax return

Quick tax return question.
My daughter is here on a working visa and is just about to get issued her 457.

I am trying to help her fill out her tax return. Its pretty simple as she has income earned and basically nothing else.

There is a question relating to Medicare and the Levy that i dont understand.

It asks if she is in an exempt categorie.

She is a UK citizen so i think i type that she is exempt as she is not an Australian citizen.

Is that correct?
Old Jul 7th 2010, 4:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare question on tax return

She needs an exemption letter from Medicare to claim exemption from the levy, as far as I know (check the ATO website).

Entitlement to reciprocal Medicare is not based on nationality.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

ginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the rough

Appreciate the quick reply.

I think you are right.

Rereading it i dont think she is exempt.

I was a bit confused as it mentioned Australian citizens etc but i think as she has reciprocal benefits from Uk she is not exempt from levy.
Thanks
Old Jul 7th 2010, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Does she consider herself a foreign resident?

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/29089.htm
Old Jul 7th 2010, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
Does she consider herself a foreign resident?

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/29089.htm
She is filling as a resident as its much more beneficial to her. As a non res her tax rate is 30% plus but as a res she is way below that.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:45 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

She is not exempt from standard Medicare levy in her circumstances.

Exemption from Medicare levy surcharge is based on private medical cover but only kicks in on much higher incomes so do not think this should be an issue for you.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sandra
She is not exempt from standard Medicare levy in her circumstances.

Exemption from Medicare levy surcharge is based on private medical cover but only kicks in on much higher incomes so do not think this should be an issue for you.
Sandra

Much appreciated. Fully understood.

Thanks for the reply.