Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare and private health ins.

Medicare and private health ins.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough
Default Medicare and private health ins.

hi we have registered with medicare and recieved our cards, we have been quoted for private health HBF at $150 for every 2 weeks for a family of 4....do we actually need private cover or is medicare quite sufficient?

Keith & family
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:51 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medicare and private health ins.

Originally Posted by Madhouse!
hi we have registered with medicare and recieved our cards, we have been quoted for private health HBF at $150 for every 2 weeks for a family of 4....do we actually need private cover or is medicare quite sufficient?

Keith & family
we dont have private insurance yet......we have been to the docs a couple of times, u always pay for ur meds...and if u go to a bulk billing place then al u pay is the "gap" fee which is around $20 me thinks.

If u r in the high earning bracket then it is worth getting private health insurance, cos if u dont then u have to pay an additional medicare levy, which can be a lot more than the private health care subs, so I have been informed
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:53 am
ABCDiamond

Keith & family
Medicare can be quite sufficient, but... as with all insurances, Private cover could be useful one day.

I've spent 14 years here now, and do not have private cover. So I must have saved about $30,000 in premiums so far ?

This year has been my most expensive for medical costs, having spent about $600 on dental so far, but only about half of that would have been covered under insurance anyway.

But, if I need a hip replaced, or something like that, I may be in trouble.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:01 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by biggy
we dont have private insurance yet......we have been to the docs a couple of times, u always pay for ur meds...and if u go to a bulk billing place then al u pay is the "gap" fee which is around $20 me thinks.

If u r in the high earning bracket then it is worth getting private health insurance, cos if u dont then u have to pay an additional medicare levy, which can be a lot more than the private health care subs, so I have been informed
With bulk billing doctors you don't pay anything

Good point about the Extra medicare levy. It's an extra 1% of your income paid to the tax office, if your income is over a certain figue, and you DON'T have private cover.

The income threshold for a single person is $50,000

Family threshold table is:
0-1 dependent children - Income threshold of $100,000
2 - $101,500
3 - $103,000
4 - $104,500
More than 4 dependent children - $104,500 plus $1,500 for each additional dependent child

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co....htm&page=3&H3

So if the OP pays $3,900pa in insurance, they can save the 1% extra surcharge. ie On $100,000 that would be $1,000

Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:09 am
Ev'n'John

Keith & family
If you and/or your partner are over 31 and you are thinking of taking out private medical insurance, you may want to do it sooner rather than later.

The government's "Lifetime Health Cover" policy means your premiums will be loaded by 2% for every year you are aged over 30 when you first take out your policy (up to a maximum of +70%). You get a grace period when you first arrive during which they will allow your "theoretical" age to be 30 but if you delay beyond that and then take out a policy, the age loading will then apply. We never fully uderstood the caclulation of the "grace period". But it worked out as a little over a year for us.

We ended up taking out medical insurance earlier than we would have liked because of this.

(By the way - $150 a fortnight sounds very expensive? We pay a similar amount per month for a family of four).

Ev.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:10 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Good point about the Extra medicare levy. It's an extra 1% of your income paid to the tax office, if your income is over a certain figue, and you DON'T have private cover.

2 - $101,500
3 - $103,000
4 - $104,500
More than 4 dependent children - $104,500 plus $1,500 for each additional dependent child

So if the OP pays $3,900pa in insurance, they can save the 1% extra surcharge. ie On $100,000 that would be $1,000
I just have to give you some karma again. The more I see of your posts the more it reminds me what this place was likely designed for. You get a few having laughs or moans but basically it is meant to hopefully be helpful to others, and on that score you excel.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:11 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
I just have to give you some karma again. The more I see of your posts the more it reminds me what this place was likely designed for. You get a few having laughs or moans but basically it is meant to hopefully be helpful to others, and on that score you excel.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ABCDiamond again.

Oh well I tried
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:44 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kiwichild
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ABCDiamond again.

Oh well I tried
You'd better start spreading it around then, kiwichild aka Jedi Princess

Old Mar 30th 2005, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

Bella3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ev'n'John
If you and/or your partner are over 31 and you are thinking of taking out private medical insurance, you may want to do it sooner rather than later.

The government's "Lifetime Health Cover" policy means your premiums will be loaded by 2% for every year you are aged over 30 when you first take out your policy (up to a maximum of +70%). You get a grace period when you first arrive during which they will allow your "theoretical" age to be 30 but if you delay beyond that and then take out a policy, the age loading will then apply. We never fully uderstood the caclulation of the "grace period". But it worked out as a little over a year for us.

We ended up taking out medical insurance earlier than we would have liked because of this.

(By the way - $150 a fortnight sounds very expensive? We pay a similar amount per month for a family of four).

Ev.
My partner and I have been covered by my Corporate scheme with MBF until now. I will be leaving my job in April and so have been looking into paying for the similiar cover ourselves. It turns out my employer has been paying the full loaded amount for my partner who was well over 31 when we arrived here. I have had to get a statement from Medicare (Health Insurance Commission) stating when we were first eligible for Medicare cover. I just wrote to Medicare explaining my circumstances and received the letter a week later. Hopefully this will be sufficient evidence for MBF to remove the loading - saying that though there wasn't much of a difference between the premiums with or without the loading.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 4:48 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

2 - $101,500
3 - $103,000
4 - $104,500

Gee thats very low:scared: wonder if I would be classed as having a dependent because of my partners daughter.... bet I'm not though, she's legally at home with her mother. Something else to sort out. Bugger
Old Mar 30th 2005, 5:41 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i've been looking into this from a single persons perspective. i can get private health for a mere $520 per year, and since i do earn more than $52k it does make sense for me to get private cover.

btw, if you don't sign a form and give it to your employer, they do not take the surcharge, so you will no doubt end up with tax to pay at the end of the year!! :scared: i've got to jump on this quick!

2 - $101,500
3 - $103,000
4 - $104,500

Old Mar 30th 2005, 5:51 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

this is the info i got regarding your age and being 31......

Are you a migrant or a refugee who became eligible for Medicare benefits after 30 September 1999 but before 23 April 2004?

Please Note:
You would have been informed by Medicare of your eligibility to claim Medicare benefits. You will need to provide a letter from Medicare advising the date you became eligible for Medicare benefits. No loading will apply if you are a recent migrant who purchases hospital cover by the later of:

1 July following your 31st birthday; or
23 April 2005; or
(if you are from New Zealand) the first anniversary of the date of the determination of eligibility for Medicare Benefits.

so reading this, i have until 23rd april this year to sort out private health cover, or i'll get hit by the loading.

if you become eligible for medicare benefits after the 23rd april 2004 that changes to

1 July following your 31st birthday; or
the first anniversary of becoming eligible for Medicare Benefits; or
(if you are from New Zealand) the first anniversary of the date of the determination of eligibility for Medicare Benefits.

Originally Posted by Ev'n'John

Ev.