Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare in OZ and Pensioners

Medicare in OZ and Pensioners

Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice
Default Medicare in OZ and Pensioners

do retirees have to pay into it? I assume when you work you pay into it along with taxes etc but do people on pensions still pay into Medicare?

thanks.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare in OZ and Pensioners

No pensioners do not pay medicare. However some still pay their private health insurance.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

All depends on how big your pension is - for those lucky enough to have monster super funds then it's taxation and deductions pretty much as usual. If you have a low enough income and have been here for long enough then you can get a health care card which will pay pretty much all of a visit to a doctor otherwise you will be subject to the same co-payment as most Australians fork out for a visit to a GP. There are tax rebates for being elderly though which sort of offset any medicare contributions. The Medicare levy is something which is calculated at the same time as your income tax is calculated btw.

Remember too that you have to have been here 10 years and have low income and assets in order to get any sort of Centrelink support in retirement - there is a general expectation that people will have a superannuation scheme to see them through their retirement
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll

Remember too that you have to have been here 10 years and have low income and assets in order to get any sort of Centrelink support in retirement - there is a general expectation that people will have a superannuation scheme to see them through their retirement

I'm amazed at how many immigrants dont realise the aussie pension is means tested, I guess coming from the UK most assume there is a pension for everyone, just not so in OZ

I think also, you also have to still live in OZ to claim, so aussie citizen not living in OZ at age 65 ( or whatever the applicable age is by then ) will not qualify even if they dont have assets. An important point for many who have worked in OZ but plan to leave.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

If you arrange things properly then no tax is paid.

The assets have been moved upward considerably to allow more people to access part pensions.

Suggest you look at
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...nts/chartc.htm

Most pensioners in Aus would not be paying medicare.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 9:10 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BeachBassist
do retirees have to pay into it? I assume when you work you pay into it along with taxes etc but do people on pensions still pay into Medicare?

thanks.
Re-iterating what JadnRich said, don't equate "Retirees" and "Pensioners". There are many retirees who are not pensioners (I'm one). A "Pensioner" in Oz means someone who is receiving the Age Pension, the state means tested subsistence pension.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

All people of a certain age get the health card these days I would consider that these people are pensioners.

The asset limits are quite liberal now and most people would get a part pension or if no pension then they are eligible for the health care card.

We thought that we were not eligible for any pension but found out that they work the funds out differently at Centrelink nothing like what we work out so we get a part pension. Not much but the benefits are worth having. Whether that will continue who knows.

I suggest everyone have a look at what they are entitled to if you are of pensionable age as you may be surprised.

We get pension from UK and oh had very good super here.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 1:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wol
Re-iterating what JadnRich said, don't equate "Retirees" and "Pensioners". There are many retirees who are not pensioners (I'm one). A "Pensioner" in Oz means someone who is receiving the Age Pension, the state means tested subsistence pension.
The term "Pensioners" can be misleading to non Australians.

Most of us think of "Pensioners" as being over 65 and retired, etc.

Here a "Pensioner" can also be anyone who gets a Disability Support Pension, or various other types of pensions, such as Single parent pension, for any ages.

Old Mar 9th 2009, 1:14 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I'm amazed at how many immigrants dont realise the aussie pension is means tested, I guess coming from the UK most assume there is a pension for everyone, just not so in OZ
They should compare how much they pay into the UK pension via employee and employer NI contributions, against the zero amount paid in Australia, for the Government funded pension.

That comparison would show that the UK scheme is funded for everyone, whilst the Australian scheme relies on the funding being put into private pensions by the employer instead.
And only those outside the private scheme being looked after by the State, if needed.

Old Mar 9th 2009, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

wulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of light

All people of a certain age get the health card these days I would consider that these people are pensioners.

This statement is wrong. I am an Australian citizen 73yrs and do not have a health card. I also pay the Medicare Levy.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:17 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I think also, you also have to still live in OZ to claim, so aussie citizen not living in OZ at age 65 ( or whatever the applicable age is by then ) will not qualify even if they dont have assets. An important point for many who have worked in OZ but plan to leave.
Not true, it depends if there's a reciprocal agreement set up between the two countries. So you don't necessarily have to be living in Australia to claim. I believe there is one between Canada and Australia as I remember looking into it a while back. If I remember correctly you need to have worked in Australia for 10 or more years in order to qualify. If you spent most of your time in Australia and then lived in Canada for 10 years or so then your pension would be paid accordingly (Australia would pay the largest chunk and then Canada).

Here's a bit of info on the Canada agreement:
http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/...socagree.shtml
You can select any country from that page, here's Canada's:
http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/...ustralia.shtml

Here's one between the Swiss and Australia.
http://www.geneva.mission.gov.au/gene/cons_social.html

Here's something interesting too. This list shows how many people in each country are getting pensions while outside the UK (for UK residents).
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/...5-10-26c.188.3
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Not true, it depends if there's a reciprocal agreement set up between the two countries. So you don't necessarily have to be living in Australia to claim. I believe there is one between Canada and Australia as I remember looking into it a while back. If I remember correctly you need to have worked in Australia for 10 or more years in order to qualify. If you spent most of your time in Australia and then lived in Canada for 10 years or so then your pension would be paid accordingly (Australia would pay the largest chunk and then Canada).

Here's a bit of info on the Canada agreement:
http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/...socagree.shtml
You can select any country from that page, here's Canada's:
http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/...ustralia.shtml

Here's one between the Swiss and Australia.
http://www.geneva.mission.gov.au/gene/cons_social.html

Here's something interesting too. This list shows how many people in each country are getting pensions while outside the UK (for UK residents).
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/...5-10-26c.188.3

Is there one between UK and OZ Not according to centerlink. You have to be residing in OZ at time of claim. That is info given out by them 3/4 months ago, I thought out of curiosity I would check the regulations, despite the highly unlikely situation of of us qualifying for one.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:39 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Is there one between UK and OZ Not according to centerlink. You have to be residing in OZ at time of claim. That is info given out by them 3/4 months ago, I thought out of curiosity I would check the regulations, despite the highly unlikely situation of of us qualifying for one.
I have no idea. I've never lived in the UK so I've never checked it out. However, I wouldn't just take Centrelink's word on it... I would check it out in debt to be sure.

I'll have a look though see what I can dig up.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
They should compare how much they pay into the UK pension via employee and employer NI contributions, against the zero amount paid in Australia, for the Government funded pension.

That comparison would show that the UK scheme is funded for everyone, whilst the Australian scheme relies on the funding being put into private pensions by the employer instead.
And only those outside the private scheme being looked after by the State, if needed.

I think we would be a little green around the gills to think the cost of aged pensions to australians paying tax hasnt been factored in to our taxes

Did you know with the recent decline in the stockmarket, taking most aussies superanuation with it, one paper claimed there has been a doubling of the amount who now qualify for the State Pension. Bet that doesnt get whacked onto our taxes either
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:42 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by comet555
I have no idea. I've never lived in the UK so I've never checked it out. However, I wouldn't just take Centrelink's word on it... I would check it out in debt to be sure.

I'll have a look though see what I can dig up.
At a quick glance I'd say the answer is no, it doesn't appear to have anything to do with whether you're in Oz or not at the time. Although you do have to be living in a country they have an agreement with. It appears as though the UK doesn't have one anymore.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...agreements.htm

Agreement with the United Kingdom
The agreement with the United Kingdom ended on 1 March 2001. If you were getting benefits under the agreement on 1 March 2001, you will continue to get those payments.

If you are an Australian resident who migrated to Australia on or before 1 March 2000, the date on which Australia served notice of termination of the agreement on the UK, you will continue to have your UK contributions recognised for grants of Australian Age Pension.

How do I claim an Australian pension while outside Australia?If you are living in an Agreement country, you can claim an Australian pension by:

•visiting the relevant offices of the social security authority in any agreement country
•telephoning Centrelink International Services on our International Numbers, or
•downloading our International Claim Forms.
You cannot claim an Australian pension unless you are residing in Australia OR an Agreement country.

My point is still the same though....Australian citizens CAN get their pensions overseas as long as they are moving to a country they have an agreement with. Unfortunatley the UK is not one of the countries at this time.

Last edited by comet555; Mar 9th 2009 at 3:45 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.