Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare on our Reccie

Medicare on our Reccie

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Canberra for 2 days......bored....now Narrabeen on Sydneys northern Beaches
mcstu1 has a spectacular aura aboutmcstu1 has a spectacular aura aboutmcstu1 has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy Medicare on our Reccie

We have recently received our PR visa and are leaving for our reccie / validation trip on sunday. in true good timing fashion my 2 year old son decided to headbut my wife and she may have broken her nose! the doctors here say to leave it 10 days and then come back and we will see if we need to reset it. the problem being we will be in melbourne in 10days!!! any ideas on how we get medical care wile in Aus??? will it be free? any help appreciated.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

daveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Medicare on our Reccie

Who 'nose'...................someone will have the answer for you.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

scousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nice

Is it possible to fly with a broken nose? Something about cabin pressure? I am not really sure, but thought I have read it somewhere!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 8:59 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

You would really want to consider the implications of arriving on holiday in Australia and then getting a nose reset.

Firstly you will have to pay for the medical care here. Although if you register for Medicare first then there may be a portion of it you can claim back providing you are entitled to a medicare card and hold PR. Bottom line is though its gonna cost you here.

But really with the bruising thats going to be involved, swelling and the aggro of just simply to-ing and fro-ing from GP to hospitals, xrays and everything else - I could think of nothing less I would rather do on my holidays.

You should consider rescheduling flights maybe or alternatively considering if your travel insurance will cover you for the incident and rescheduling.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:24 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Centurion
Firstly you will have to pay for the medical care here. Although if you register for Medicare first then there may be a portion of it you can claim back providing you are entitled to a medicare card and hold PR. Bottom line is though its gonna cost you here.
Depends on where you are from... If you are from the UK there is an agreement in place to have access to necessary medical cover which allows subsidesed healthcare.

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...ta_italy.shtml
Old Mar 24th 2007, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Matt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to behold

Hi. I'd get your GP's advice asap if possible before you leave. The 10 days is an arbitrary amount of time that is normally recommended to wait just to allow all of the bruising to settle to see if it is malaligned. If it is then it will need straightening. Now, I'm no ENT surgeon but I think if you leave it a little longer (and I'm not sure how long you're away for) then if it is malaligned then they can just rebreak any newly formed cartilage/bone during the operation - whenever that may be. I'd certainly try and get a formal medical opinion before you go changing flights/delaying the holiday etc. If it's now too late to get an appointment with your GP, then phone your local hospital, ask them to page the ENT doctor on-call and ask their advice over the phone. Do this about mid-day/early afternoon which is when they are likely to have finished ward rounds and not be in theatre. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 3:05 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt Sabin
Hi. I'd get your GP's advice asap if possible before you leave. The 10 days is an arbitrary amount of time that is normally recommended to wait just to allow all of the bruising to settle to see if it is malaligned. If it is then it will need straightening. Now, I'm no ENT surgeon but I think if you leave it a little longer (and I'm not sure how long you're away for) then if it is malaligned then they can just rebreak any newly formed cartilage/bone during the operation - whenever that may be. I'd certainly try and get a formal medical opinion before you go changing flights/delaying the holiday etc. If it's now too late to get an appointment with your GP, then phone your local hospital, ask them to page the ENT doctor on-call and ask their advice over the phone. Do this about mid-day/early afternoon which is when they are likely to have finished ward rounds and not be in theatre. Hope this helps.
I worked for an ENT for about a year and yes, the 10 days is arbitrary to let the swelling go down. And if you leave it a little longer it won't really matter all that much. We used to tell people it had to be at least 14 days, so I guess it depends on the doctor.
For the OP, you may not want to be traipsing around Australia with the bruising and pain that go along with a potentially broken nose. Those would all be truly lovely vacation photos (not) with the bruised up face. If it were me, I would see if I could change the flights etc by a couple of weeks until your wife's nose is healed.