Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

medicare - online application?

medicare - online application?

Old Jul 12th 2005, 11:20 pm
JME

Juanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant future
Default medicare - online application?

Hello - boring technical question I'm afraid!

The HR officer in my new job in Oz seems to think that I can apply for medicare online via their website. I had a search around it but couldn't find any application forms. She said they would be under a link called 'forms' which actually doesn't exist. Has anyone done this in advance of setting off to Oz and if so can you recall where on the site the forms are located?

So supposing I can;t enroll on the medicare thingy b4 I get to Oz, are there any companies who will do travel insurance for one-way migrants. Call me paranoid, but I need to know that if I get hit by a truck as soon as I arrive I will not be landed with massive medical bills !

Juanita
Old Jul 13th 2005, 12:33 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: medicare - online application?

Originally Posted by Juanita
Hello - boring technical question I'm afraid!

The HR officer in my new job in Oz seems to think that I can apply for medicare online via their website. I had a search around it but couldn't find any application forms. She said they would be under a link called 'forms' which actually doesn't exist. Has anyone done this in advance of setting off to Oz and if so can you recall where on the site the forms are located?

So supposing I can;t enroll on the medicare thingy b4 I get to Oz, are there any companies who will do travel insurance for one-way migrants. Call me paranoid, but I need to know that if I get hit by a truck as soon as I arrive I will not be landed with massive medical bills !

Juanita
You can go online and download the form, but you need to present proof of ID in person at a Medicare office.
http://www.hic.gov.au/yourhealth/forms/mf.htm

However, at the same link, you can register for the Medicare Safety Net online. But you need to be registered for Medicare first. (This may be what you HR person was thinking of)

If you do get hit by that truck, you should be covered by the basic reciprocal medical cover system. http://www7.health.gov.au/hsdd/rcsap...h/2000hlth.htm