Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare levy surcharge and tax return - help please

Medicare levy surcharge and tax return - help please

Old Oct 29th 2008, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Medicare levy surcharge and tax return - help please

I was under the impression that if we took out private medical insurance within a year of arrival (as PR) we would be exempt from this surcharge for the tax year so we waited until the last minute (11 months after arrival) to get it. Our income is over the threshold amount so it is payable if we aren't exempt.

When OH went to complete his tax return online last night we couldn't spot any such exemption, instead it looks like we were only exempt for the 1/12 months since the insurance came into force. Having spoken to the tax office today, I think I have just stuffed up and confused it with the fact that you escape the "over 30" loading if you apply within a year, but not the surcharge. Can anyone confirm if that's the case? Thanks.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare levy surcharge and tax return - help please

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
I was under the impression that if we took out private medical insurance within a year of arrival (as PR) we would be exempt from this surcharge for the tax year so we waited until the last minute (11 months after arrival) to get it. Our income is over the threshold amount so it is payable if we aren't exempt.

When OH went to complete his tax return online last night we couldn't spot any such exemption, instead it looks like we were only exempt for the 1/12 months since the insurance came into force. Having spoken to the tax office today, I think I have just stuffed up and confused it with the fact that you escape the "over 30" loading if you apply within a year, but not the surcharge. Can anyone confirm if that's the case? Thanks.
From what you said just then - unfortunately you will have to pay 1% extra (1 month benefit)
Old Oct 29th 2008, 4:48 am
ABCDiamond

Sory to give bad news but..

Individuals and families on incomes above the MLS thresholds, who do not have private patient hospital cover pay MLS for any period during 2007-08 that they did not have this cover.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...1/002&st=&cy=1

Old Oct 29th 2008, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery

We too have stuffed up but to a lesser extent. Took out the insurance in October so liable for about 3 months worth of MLS.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Thanks. I'm not going to be popular with OH; I was the one saying "save the premiums and wait until the last minute"
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Looks like I stuffed up too.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

If I arrived part way through the 2007-8 financial year do I still pay the additional levy for all 366 days?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discobay
If I arrived part way through the 2007-8 financial year do I still pay the additional levy for all 366 days?
No. You pay the levy from the date you arrived till 30 June (if your taxable income for the period was over the threshold).