Medicare Levy

Old Nov 27th 2004, 4:49 am
Wickers

00wickers has a brilliant future00wickers has a brilliant future00wickers has a brilliant future00wickers has a brilliant future00wickers has a brilliant future00wickers has a brilliant future
Default Medicare Levy

I've been in Australia for just over three months now (457 working visa) and have applied for a Medicare Card, which I understand entitles me to limited medical cover through the reciprocal agreement with the UK, but I've yet to get private medical cover.

Firstly, do I have to pay the "Medicare Levy' if so, how? and does anyone have a good recommendations for private health cover?

Thanks
Old Nov 27th 2004, 10:51 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medicare Levy

i may be wrong but the medicare levy only comes in when you are over a certain income. But if you have a high income and have private health insurance then u dont pay the levy....but dont quote me on that!!!!! Ambulance cover is paid thro ur leckie bill(in Qld anyways) private medical not a clue I had a look round but the prices r so diff and so r the services they provide
Old Nov 27th 2004, 11:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
i may be wrong but the medicare levy only comes in when you are over a certain income. But if you have a high income and have private health insurance then u dont pay the levy....but dont quote me on that!!!!!
You are confused between the Medicare levy itself and the Medicare levy *surcharge*.

Jeremy
Old Nov 28th 2004, 6:28 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
You are confused between the Medicare levy itself and the Medicare levy *surcharge*.

Jeremy

silly me sowwie
Old Nov 28th 2004, 8:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by 00wickers
I've been in Australia for just over three months now (457 working visa) and have applied for a Medicare Card, which I understand entitles me to limited medical cover through the reciprocal agreement with the UK, but I've yet to get private medical cover.

Firstly, do I have to pay the "Medicare Levy' if so, how? and does anyone have a good recommendations for private health cover?

Thanks
If you are getting paid wages, then the employer will be deducting the Medicare Levy at the same time as deducting tax.

The basic Medicare levy is calculated at 1.5% of your taxable income

You are exempt from the levy if you are not an Australian resident for tax purposes, or if you have certificates from the Levy Exemption Certification Unit of the Health Insurance Commission showing that you are not entitled to Medicare benefits.

Prescribed Person exemptions