Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare - How does it work?

Medicare - How does it work?

Old Nov 1st 2009, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all
Default Re: Medicare - How does it work?

Ive just paid out over $5,000 for my son's dentist to have his braces fitted, my tax agent told me I had to go to medicare to claim some of it back but when I went into medicare yesterday they told me I have to save the receipts and claim some of it back on my tax for next year!Feel a bit like a yo yo at the moment!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 2:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Ozzy7
Ive just paid out over $5,000 for my son's dentist to have his braces fitted, my tax agent told me I had to go to medicare to claim some of it back but when I went into medicare yesterday they told me I have to save the receipts and claim some of it back on my tax for next year!Feel a bit like a yo yo at the moment!
Your tax agent got that wrong. Medicare does not cover dental.

Tax Offset for medical expenses over a specified limit
There is a medical expenses tax offset that may be available if you have out of pocket medical expenses over a specified limit in an income year.

The 2008-2009 year threshold is $1,500, and any medical costs exceeding this can be claimed against, and a Tax Offset of 20% of the excess is claimable.

This is claimed on your end of year tax return through the ATO.

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

The commitment to bulk billing has been increasing for decades. In 1985 the percentage of services bulk billed was 46%, it is now 70%+.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I agree fully with most of what you say, but:

Even the ACT has gone from 50.6% to 52.2% !
NSW 84.5% up to 84.8%.
Also note that these statistics refer to all Medicare services, not just GP visits. A big chunk of it would be hospital stays, pathology tests etc.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by James516
Also note that these statistics refer to all Medicare services, not just GP visits. A big chunk of it would be hospital stays, pathology tests etc.
The figures are for GP attendances.

Bulk billing figures for GP attendances in the December quarter 2008
84.5% New South Wales
50.6% Australian Capital Territory

Medicare Total services (including hospital stays, pathology tests etc) Bulk Billed for 2008/09
77.2% NSW
63.1% ACT

1984/1985 it was
50.2% NSW
21.8% ACT