Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare - a girlie question!!!

Medicare - a girlie question!!!

Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Nizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud of
Talking Medicare - a girlie question!!!

Hi,
This may sound like a really silly question - but it is one I just can't find the answer to anywhere else

So, As we all know, in the uk female contraception is free!!

Do you have to pay for it in Oz or is it covered by Medicare?????

Might sound daft - but hey - don't want any unexpected arrivals do we!!!

Thanks for ANY info.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare - a girlie question!!!

Originally Posted by Nizcac
Hi,
This may sound like a really silly question - but it is one I just can't find the answer to anywhere else

Thanks for ANY info.

No it's not free here. Get one of them 5 year implants before you come
Old Feb 21st 2007, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

nickyblonde is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Medicare - a girlie question!!!

Hi

It was few years ago that I was last in oz 2001-2002. I had to pay for the pill, but from what I can remember the prescription was not that much (probably about $20 - 30, for 6 months). Only thing I don't know is if you have to pay to see a Dr for a prescription in the 1st place, I did when in OZ, but that was because I was on a working holiday visa (therefore reciprocal arrangements, which just cover emergency treatment).

Therefore more expensive than UK, but not as expensive as a baby !

Nicky
Old Feb 21st 2007, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Nizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nickyblonde
Hi

It was few years ago that I was last in oz 2001-2002. I had to pay for the pill, but from what I can remember the prescription was not that much (probably about $20 - 30, for 6 months). Only thing I don't know is if you have to pay to see a Dr for a prescription in the 1st place, I did when in OZ, but that was because I was on a working holiday visa (therefore reciprocal arrangements, which just cover emergency treatment).

Therefore more expensive than UK, but not as expensive as a baby !

Nicky
thanks ladies - may well go for wendys' idea
Old Feb 21st 2007, 7:58 pm
Kate,Mark,Jack and Scott

sunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to all

hi nizcac,
you could always get him snipped!
kate x
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sunny somers
hi nizcac,
you could always get him snipped!
kate x
I do keep trying - but he just ain't biting
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:33 pm
Kate,Mark,Jack and Scott

sunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to all

kate
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:44 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sunny somers

kate
In prep my hubby has just had the snip. Poor man got a really bad infection aswell, they swelled up like ballons(too much information).
Lisa
xxxx

Last edited by LisaD_uk; Feb 21st 2007 at 8:44 pm. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LisaD_uk
In prep my hubby has just had the snip. Poor man got a really bad infection aswell, they swelled up like ballons(too much information).
Lisa
xxxx
See, this is my problem - our friend had similar problem - had V.nasty infection - then given wrong info re: test results - thought it hadn't worked - 12 months later went to GP for man flu - asked why it hadn,t worked - was told it had!!!!! dodgy receptionist had said it was positive result - he thought still swimming HA HA HA!!
Niz
Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:21 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have a doctor that bulk bills, you will have to pay for a doctor's appointment (and then reclaim 85% of the schedule cost from Medicare). A standard doctor's appointment for me is $40. For a six month supply of Femondene, the cost is $80. HTH.

ETA: This info applies if you're on a PR visa. Not sure about temp visas.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LisaD_uk
Lisa
xxxx
Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nizcac
Hi,

Thanks for ANY info.
Got Marvelon for 3mths, prescription $36 but my doctor bulk bills so at least didn't have to pay for the appointment. Still think it's ridiculous to have to pay, but then I suppose we were spoilt in the UK although didn't realise it at the time!

JO
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

brissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nice

so glad someone else asked about this, as i wanted to know, just dare not to ask ,anyone know if you can get microgynon ? thought id bite the bullet and ask ?
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brissie-here-we-come
so glad someone else asked about this, as i wanted to know, just dare not to ask ,anyone know if you can get microgynon ? thought id bite the bullet and ask ?
You can get pretty much all the same ones over here but they just might be called something else - take a packet with you of what you are on and they will match it over here.

You can also ask at the pharmacist to get a cheaper replacement - it means you get a cheaper brand but the contents are exactly the same.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

brissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nice

Thanx for that . will make sure that i go to doctors a day or two before to get a six month supply before i leave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.