MediCare and English Docs

MediCare and English Docs

Old Aug 5th 2003, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

anthonykirby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MediCare and English Docs

Hi All,

Silly question but here goes...

1. Do I need to get my medical records from my GP and take them over to Oz with me?

2. How will I go about getting a MediCare card? What documentation will I need for this?

Thanks in advance guys

Anthony (frantically sorting out items of non-importance!)
Old Aug 5th 2003, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

DogsComingToo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: MediCare and English Docs

Originally posted by anthonykirby
Hi All,

1. Do I need to get my medical records from my GP and take them over to Oz with me?

2. How will I go about getting a MediCare card? What documentation will I need for this?

Thanks in advance guys

1. Regarding the medical records, I phoned up my GP practice yesterday and was given the name and address of the local health authority. Apparently you have to apply in writing for the health authority to obtain a copy of your medical records (you aren't allowed the originals) from your GP. The practice manager also mentioned, although she wasn't 100% sure, that you need a doctors address in Australia for them to send the records too. She said this was because we aren't allowed to see our medical records directly. Bloody stupid system if you ask me. I suggest you get on the case asap Anthony.. as knowing the local health authorities it could take them weeks to even reply!!

2. Haven't looked into MediCare yet.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

unrefined_mind is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

Thanks in advance guys

Not so....everyone needs to know these things

1) would be a good thing to take them

2) this link will give you all the info http://www.hic.gov.au/yourhealth/our_services/am.htm

All best mate

UM
Old Aug 5th 2003, 11:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you have to apply in writing - so they know they are giving them to the right person; No they do not have to be sent to another doctor, you may have a copy of them yourself.
It is your right under the Data Protection Act - speak to your local Health Authority and ask for their procedure to get copies. They are held at the practice anyway, so that is where the copies will come from!
In Oz - I'm told - you are usually registered with a practice, not with an individual doctor anyway. For Medicare, first do a search on the forum, secondly, make sure you have an NHS card when you leave the UK.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Pollyana
In Oz - I'm told - you are usually registered with a practice, not with an individual doctor anyway. For Medicare, first do a search on the forum, secondly, make sure you have an NHS card when you leave the UK.
You don't even need to register. If you need to see a doctor just go to the local practice and ask for an appointment. Don't like the doctor see a different doctor at same practice or go to a different practice.
Seems to be very casual down here.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 12:51 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Thanks in advance guys

Don't bother with the medical records, you don't need them here. It is a waste of time and money. You don't register with doctors in Australia.

As for the Medicare card, go to the nearest Medicare centre, they are all over the place and do it there. You will need to have been in the country 10 days to do it that way. This allows time for the Immigration and Medicare databases to get in synch.

Can you imagine the UK immigration and NHS databases getting in synch? I don't think so...
Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Hi

Our doctors wouldn't give us copies of our medical records. Said it was illegal!!! Youy must get copies of kids immunisations though. (they will give you that at least) I know you don't have any yet but for those who have. You need them to get them into school/kindy/daycare & also to recieve your childcare benefits.

Just need you passport and maybe birth certificate for medicare. Get the forms from medicare office like renth says after 10 days.

We haven't needed our medical records since being here either, the only thing I thought about that surely must come in handy is past history from pregnancies & giving birth.

Diane
Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:19 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Need ? - no. If you have a complicated medical history, by all means bring a copy over for your Aus doctor to refer to.

Wait at least a week after arrival. The immigration department take a while to inform Medicare of your arrival.

You don't need to get a Medicare card. On arrival with a permanent residence visa you automatically qualify for Medicare and can officially register after using it.

To get a Medicare card, look in the phonebook to see where the nearest walk-in office is. Here in SA they are suituated in big shopping malls. If you have one nearby, walk in with your passport and they'll get you to sign a few forms. You'll get a temporary paper card which you can use until the plastic one arrives in the post.

If you don't have a Medicare office nearby, call the number in the phonebook and they'll send the paperwork in the post. You'll have to send a certified copy of your passport details + visa.

I signed up for Medicare after about 10 days. Haven't registered with a doctor and don't intend to until I need to see one.

I signed up for private healthcare too, but that's just a high taxpayer incentive in my case.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by renth
Don't bother with the medical records, you don't need them here. It is a waste of time and money. You don't register with doctors in Australia.

No so - I brought my medical records and dental x-rays with me - and each set of records have been referred to by both a local surgeon and a dentist before starting 2 courses of treatment - one for an ear problem, and one for a teeth problem.

These were both for specific (i.e. complicated) problems and I wouldn't have wanted them to start treating me before seeing my history.

But, true, G.P.'s won't want to see your lists of UK colds/flues bfore charging you here. he he

AndyH
Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

I would only bring records if you have an ongoing problem that they may be useful for. We didn't bother but the doctors in the UK just gave me a print out of the kid's immunisations. I didn't even need those though when registering the kids at school, just had to tick the boxes of what they'd had.

Like everyone says it's a lot more relaxed, you just pop into a Drs and make an appointment, fill in a form and off you go. I've been to two different practices already, depends on which is easiest to get to or has appointments!

Loopy
Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:37 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Loopy
I would only bring records if you have an ongoing problem that they may be useful for. We didn't bother but the doctors in the UK just gave me a print out of the kid's immunisations. I didn't even need those though when registering the kids at school, just had to tick the boxes of what they'd had.

Like everyone says it's a lot more relaxed, you just pop into a Drs and make an appointment, fill in a form and off you go. I've been to two different practices already, depends on which is easiest to get to or has appointments!

Loopy
That's right, and although we had a good relationship with the receptionists at our doctors in the UK, I know most of them can be right bitches.

Over here if you get attitude you just go "right then, I'll take my business elsewhere" because over here a visit to the doctor is business.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

The doctor I saw was obviously trying to give value for money or was genuinely an old fashioned Dr. I went in and tried to sum things up quickly - as at my Drs in the UK with the Dr half writing the prescription before you've sat down scenario- but this Dr really took his time and was most thorough. I must have been in there 10 minutes for something fairly minor.

You do think twice about going to the doctors knowing you have to pay. Don't know if this is good or bad, cuts down on time wasters but you could delay in going for something potentially nasty. I keep telling the kids lets wait a few days & see how you feel & 9 times out of 10 they're better by then.

Loopy
Old Aug 6th 2003, 3:07 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally posted by Loopy
The doctor I saw was obviously trying to give value for money or was genuinely an old fashioned Dr. I went in and tried to sum things up quickly - as at my Drs in the UK with the Dr half writing the prescription before you've sat down scenario- but this Dr really took his time and was most thorough. I must have been in there 10 minutes for something fairly minor.

You do think twice about going to the doctors knowing you have to pay. Don't know if this is good or bad, cuts down on time wasters but you could delay in going for something potentially nasty. I keep telling the kids lets wait a few days & see how you feel & 9 times out of 10 they're better by then.

Loopy
They are very thorough as well, my wife went in about an ingowing tonail and got a full breast examination too.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 3:32 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
They are very thorough as well, my wife went in about an ingowing tonail and got a full breast examination too.

Hmmm... a little too thorough.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Not had much dealings with the medical side of things here thank goodness but I would like to say that I took my son to see the quack about a "problem" (Pm me if you want the "shitty" details)
that had been ongoing in England for at least 4 years and it took at least half of that to get them to even listen to me in England.
Anyway, Dr was very nice (English actually) and as Loopy said - I was waffling away 10 to the dozen trying to get the history out as quickly as possible. Anyway he took time to listen and referred him for a scan & tested his wee which is something Uk didn't do. (and it was bulk billed - even better)

Ra Ra Ra

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.