Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare confusion?!

Medicare confusion?!

Old Jan 6th 2009, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice
Default Medicare confusion?!

I thought I knew enough about medicare but not so sure after reading the BE wiki http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Healthcare_in_Australia

It says;
  • If you are resident in Australia with a working visa (eg 457 visa) and you apply for permanent resident status (except a parent visa), you are immediately entitled to full Medicare coverage.
  • Medicare staff should give you a full Medicare card (normally valid for one year) upon seeing your application receipt from DIAC
New migrants have a grace period of 1 year to take out health insurance, from the date of becoming eligible for Medicare, to take out health insurance without paying a loading.
I have been on a 457 for a little over a year now and have applied for PR in Aug/Sep 2008. I have always thought that because I took up private health insurance (visitor's insurance from Medibank private) this is what will cover me instead of medicare. Do I have to (is it a requirement for people residing in Oz who satisfy the medicare criteria to have a medicare card ?) apply for a medicare card even though I am on private health insurance? If so have I already exceed the one year limit and have to pay the extra loading?

I have actually applied for a medicare exemption cert for the last financial year from medicare as my home country does not have reciprocal health arrangement with Oz. However, the tax person who did my last tax return still put in the basic medicare levy (which was not refunded to me but I thought the whole idea of an exemption cert was to get the medicare levy refunded?) except the extra as I have private health insurance.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:27 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare confusion?!

If you applied in Aug/Sept 2008 you are eligible for Medicare.

There is no loading on Medicare - that is to do with private health insurance and won't be applicable to you if you get private health AFTER you get PR (within 12 months of getting PR).

Basically, keep your private til your PR is granted. Get your medicare card NOW. When you get PR you can either keep your private or get rid of it and consider if you need it. If you do need it make usre you get it sorted before 12 months as a PR are up - or you will pay the loading.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:03 pm
ABCDiamond

The quote on the Medicare site is
As a new migrant to Australia, if you are aged 31 or over, you will not have to pay a Lifetime Health Cover loading if you take out private health insurance within 12 months of being registered for Medicare
There is a calculator available at: http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/dyna...althCover.aspx

I just ran this example:

Questions Answered
What is your date of birth? 1960
Did you have hospital cover on 31 March 2007? No
Were you granted a 2 year exemption when LHC was introduced in 2000? No
Did you first enter Australia on or after 1 July 2000? Yes
Were you an Australian citizen or permanent resident when you first entered Australia? No
Are you registered with Medicare? No

Lifetime Health Cover
Cover date: 07-Jan-2009
Lifetime Health Cover Does Not Apply

Until new migrants become registered as eligible for Medicare, Lifetime Health Cover loadings do not apply.
By changing the Medicare answer, I then got:

Questions Answered
What is your date of birth? 1960
Did you have hospital cover on 31 March 2007? No
Were you granted a 2 year exemption when LHC was introduced in 2000? No
Did you first enter Australia on or after 1 July 2000? Yes
Were you an Australian citizen or permanent resident when you first entered Australia? No
Are you registered with Medicare? Yes
What is your Medicare eligibility day? 10 August 2008

Lifetime Health Cover
Cover date: 07-Jan-2009

Lifetime Health Cover Applies
Lifetime Health Cover applies because you are within the specified age limits.

Base date for Lifetime Health Cover: 10 August 2009
The base date for Lifetime Health Cover is determined by age, time spent overseas, and for new arrivals, the Medicare eligibility day.

Lifetime Health Cover loading: 0%
The cost of health insurance premiums for hospital cover increases by a loading based on the amount of time since your base date that you have not had hospital cover
Even if you had to pay the loading, it would currently be 0% anyway.

But I would double check with your EXACT details.

Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:23 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tking
If you applied in Aug/Sept 2008 you are eligible for Medicare.

There is no loading on Medicare - that is to do with private health insurance and won't be applicable to you if you get private health AFTER you get PR (within 12 months of getting PR).

Basically, keep your private til your PR is granted. Get your medicare card NOW. When you get PR you can either keep your private or get rid of it and consider if you need it. If you do need it make usre you get it sorted before 12 months as a PR are up - or you will pay the loading.

Yes, ABCDiamond is right - this is incorrect. The 12 month grace period to avoid health insurance loading starts from the day that you register with Medicare, not the day you become a PR. So in the case of the OP, your 12 month clock starts when you register with Medicare for full benefit having become eligible by applying for a permanent visa. If you have already done this, then your clock has already started, and you should establish when your critical dates are.

Remember also that the lifetime loading doesn't come into effect until you are 30, so if you haven't yet reached that ageing milestone, then you don't need to worry about it until you do.

S
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Medicare confusion?!

looky
However, the tax person who did my last tax return still put in the basic medicare levy (which was not refunded to me but I thought the whole idea of an exemption cert was to get the medicare levy refunded?)

The cert. just means you dont have to pay a Lifetime Health Cover loading it has
nothing to do with taxation
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:31 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mulben
looky
However, the tax person who did my last tax return still put in the basic medicare levy (which was not refunded to me but I thought the whole idea of an exemption cert was to get the medicare levy refunded?)

The cert. just means you dont have to pay a Lifetime Health Cover loading it has
nothing to do with taxation

Yes and no.

Everybody pays the Medicare Levy - 1.5% of your income, which gets added on at tax time.

If you earn over $70k, then you also have to pay the Medicare Levy Surcharge (MLS), which is an extra 1%, on top of the regular Medicare levy, also added at tax time.

If you have private health insurance, with an approved Australian health fund, then that exempts you from having to pay the MLS.

BUT private medical insurance is subject to aged loading, so that people don't just buy in when they get old, and in more need of medical cover. The aged loading is 2% of the premium for every year that you are over 30, to a maximum of 40% (I think though I could be wrong there).

If you are a migrant who is over 30, you have a years grace period from the date that you register with Medicare to buy private health insurance and be exempt from the aged loading - so if you are 40 when you arrive, but you take out cover within that 12 month period, they certify your age as 30 for the purposes of aged loading.

So, Medicare, private health insurance and taxation are all linked together in a complex system.

If you earn $70k, and have no private health insurance, then you will pay an extra $700 tax in the MLS. The cheapest rivate cover is about $500, plus you get a bit of health cover (though admittedly not very much), but it still saves you $200 in tax. Obviously, the more you earn over $70k, the better value private health cover becomes.

S
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so now I am confused too, as on a student visa (nowhere near PR) we are entitled to medicare treatment. But for most of us it is likely to be near 3-4 years before we get PR. But we do have to have medical insurance while on this visa.
Anyone any ideas how this works?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 1:12 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
OK, so now I am confused too, as on a student visa (nowhere near PR) we are entitled to medicare treatment. But for most of us it is likely to be near 3-4 years before we get PR. But we do have to have medical insurance while on this visa.

There is a difference between being entitled to full Medicare and the entitlements that are available under the reciprocal healthcare agreement.

though I am no expert, it sounds to me as though you are entitled to the latter.

You may want to check with the Dept of Health and Ageing though.

S
Old Jan 7th 2009, 1:32 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Confusion abounds ! I just read this on a government website:
Overseas Students:
Students are not covered by Reciprocal Health Care Agreements (RHCAs). They are not “eligible persons” and do not receive Medicare or free hospital services.
All foreign students studying in Australia, with the exception of students from Norway and Sweden, are required to take out Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
It was dated 2005.

and this from another government website:
Students
If you are visiting Australia on a student visa you are covered by Medicare.
Note: It is also a condition of your visa that you take out Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
However,students from Norway are excluded from accessing health services under the terms of the RHCA with that country.
In regard to the Reciprocal Health Care Agreements, they do say: "If your application to enrol in Medicare is approved, you will receive an Australian reciprocal health care card"

This may not be a full Medicare enrolment...

I would send an email to the link at http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...isitors/uk.jsp to double check all this.

Old Jan 7th 2009, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

According to others on student visas they have claimed just for normal things from medicare.

Thinking back, I got a medicare card back in 1999 while on a WHV. It all gets very confusing.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

I just had a read of the link from ABC diamond and it says
As a new migrant to Australia, if you are aged 31 or over, you will not have to pay a Lifetime Health Cover loading if you take out private health insurance within 12 months of being registered for Medicare. After this time you will have to pay 2% more for each year you are aged over 30 when you take out private health insurance.
I think I thought the loading applies to medicare (govt health cover), but having read the above its actually about taking up private health insurance...so my worries is nothing to worry about then since I will be taking up private health insurance anyway. The question remains if medicare card/registering with medicare is still required even having private health insurance?

EDIT: LOL I think I just answered my own question with the above quote...Yes i do have to get a medicare card even if I am on private health!

Apologies for being so thick about medicare!

Last edited by looky; Jan 7th 2009 at 6:05 am.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tking
I finally get that now! LMAO

Had a busy day hehehe
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:56 am
Just Joined

benreffell is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh ****!

I thought the Lifetime Health Cover only started when I became a PR (currently I'm a temporary res). I'm over 40 and I'm now 2mths over the 1yr limit (which I now see is the case). I'm sure this is what they told me on the phone. I've looked back through my paperwork and can't find any reference to it.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the 1yr waivered or appeal in some way?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by benreffell
Oh ****!

I thought the Lifetime Health Cover only started when I became a PR (currently I'm a temporary res). I'm over 40 and I'm now 2mths over the 1yr limit (which I now see is the case). I'm sure this is what they told me on the phone. I've looked back through my paperwork and can't find any reference to it.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the 1yr waivered or appeal in some way?
Have a read of this;
As a new migrant to Australia, if you are aged 31 or over, you will not have to pay a Lifetime Health Cover loading if you take out private health insurance within 12 months of being registered for Medicare. After this time you will have to pay 2% more for each year you are aged over 30 when you take out private health insurance.
Depends if they class new migrants as only those already with PR or if they include those on temp visa but applied for PR?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:57 am
Just Joined

benreffell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Looky,

Thanks for the reply, I suspect it begins when you are a temp resident, unfortunately for me.

I should have also mentioned I've got an "Interim Medicare Card" which I've had for just over a year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.