Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

medicare,centrelink, tfn

medicare,centrelink, tfn

Old Dec 4th 2011, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

engineeer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default medicare,centrelink, tfn

I ve a plan to move to melbourne in start of february for few weeks time with my wife just to validate my visa and to register with medicare , tfn ,centrelink during my visit i will stay in some serviced apartment here i will like to tel u that i am going to validate 176 victoria sponsored visa...My question is as i will stay in some apartment whose address i cant use as my postal address or residencial address in forms relating medicare, bank account, centrelink, and for tfn ..my question is it possible for me to use the address of my very close relative who is permanently living in Canberra ACT state...also plz tell me after landing in melbourne after how many days i can go to medicare office and how much time they will take to finalising my request will they take with them our orginal passports untill the application finalises..I hope moderators and members will help me like always.Regards
Old Dec 4th 2011, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: medicare,centrelink, tfn

Hi. I'm not sure you can use someone else's address to register. I seem to recall needing a bank statement and lease agreement both showing my name and address in Australia when I registered with Medicare. Also they needed sight of passport showing my Visa.

That was 3 years ago but doubt the process has changed much x
Old Dec 4th 2011, 4:12 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

There is no reason to register until your permanent move. It is a simple process once you have an address and for Medicare you should not register until such time as you are living in Aus as it can trigger the start of your 12 month grace period before Lifetime Loading kicks in. See www.privatehealth.gov.au for more info.

Just enjoy your validation visit as a holiday and leave the rest for your final move.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tking
Hi.

it can trigger the start of your 12 month grace period before Lifetime Loading kicks in. See www.privatehealth.gov.au for more info.

Just enjoy your validation visit as a holiday and leave the rest for your final move.
Thanks for answering my q ..plz explain wat the above statement means wats the grace period
Old Dec 4th 2011, 4:20 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

The link above has all the info. Good luck.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

I want to validate my visa with my wife and want to activate medicare in feb 2012 after that we will go back to home country and in july 2012 i will move permanently to melbourne and my wife will join me in feb 2013 after completing her education degree back home thats the scenario give me sme gud suggestion..
Old Dec 4th 2011, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by engineeer
I want to validate my visa with my wife and want to activate medicare in feb 2012 after that we will go back to home country and in july 2012 i will move permanently to melbourne and my wife will join me in feb 2013 after completing her education degree back home thats the scenario give me sme gud suggestion..
It is foolish to start medicare, appy for TFN etc on a validation trip. Don't do it, wait until you move here permanently.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Validate you visa but don't bother with anything else until you actually move here. If you apply for your TFN i believe you will be required to start doing tax returns,
Old Dec 8th 2011, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by engineeer
Look at www.medicareaustralia.gov.au and it will answer all your questions. Go to the individuals and families section at the top and then click on the migrants and travellers link from the right hand column.

There you will see that Australia and the UK have a reciprocal health agreement if you need to see a doctor or go to a public hospital while in Australia. You won't be covered for private hospitals.

If you do want a Medicare card it will only be valid for the duration of your visit. You will be issued with a temporary card (paper print out) when you enrol in the Medicare office but a plastic card takes 7-10 working days to arrive so some offices don't bother if you are only in the country for a couple of weeks.

Up until July I worked for Medicare for 3 years.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 9:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kips
Look at www.medicareaustralia.gov.au and it will answer all your questions. Go to the individuals and families section at the top and then click on the migrants and travellers link from the right hand column.

There you will see that Australia and the UK have a reciprocal health agreement if you need to see a doctor or go to a public hospital while in Australia. You won't be covered for private hospitals.

If you do want a Medicare card it will only be valid for the duration of your visit. You will be issued with a temporary card (paper print out) when you enrol in the Medicare office but a plastic card takes 7-10 working days to arrive so some offices don't bother if you are only in the country for a couple of weeks.

Up until July I worked for Medicare for 3 years.
Some of his othet posts indicate he's not from the UK
Old Dec 8th 2011, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Some of his othet posts indicate he's not from the UK
oops ! I just assumed he was. No details next to the name indicating where he lives doesn't help !!!
Old Dec 8th 2011, 9:19 am
Addicted to browsing BE

Also if he gets Medicare on validation he may incur Lifetime Loading on private health which could cost money.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 11:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kips
oops ! I just assumed he was. No details next to the name indicating where he lives doesn't help !!!
I know, I just remember seeing another post - can't remember where he's from but its not UK.
Useful link etc for anyone else coming over from the UK though
Old Dec 8th 2011, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tking
Also if he gets Medicare on validation he may incur Lifetime Loading on private health which could cost money.
No kidding. And remember folks, the deadline is a year from the day you arrived permanently in the country, not the day you registered for medicare.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 4:07 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Validate you visa but don't bother with anything else until you actually move here. If you apply for your TFN i believe you will be required to start doing tax returns,
No. The tax no. is only your reference - it's only in use once you become a tax resident. It wouldn't be useful to get it, anyway, until you come permanently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.