Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare on a 457 visa

Medicare on a 457 visa

Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Dimples01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicare on a 457 visa

Hi, I have been informed by my new Australian employers that I will need to take out private medical insurance as I will not be covered by Medicare on a 457 visa. Does the UK not have a reciprocal agreement with Oz for medicare? I believe I will also need to pay school fees!! Does anyone know if this can we claimed with LAFHA?
Thanks in advanced for any help.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare on a 457 visa

The reciprocal arrangement is for necessary medical care - I believe the rules for a 457 state that you need to have additional health insurance but remember that the vast majority of people coming in on that visa are not Poms and there may not be a reciprocal arrangement for them. As for school fees - you only pay them in NSW and ACT and you can reduce them by going for the Catholic system which will probably give you local rates rather than international rates.

LAFHA is to some extent designed to cover these additional costs which you would not incur were you living at home.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimples01
Hi, I have been informed by my new Australian employers that I will need to take out private medical insurance as I will not be covered by Medicare on a 457 visa. Does the UK not have a reciprocal agreement with Oz for medicare? I believe I will also need to pay school fees!! Does anyone know if this can we claimed with LAFHA?
Can they sponsor you for permanent residence?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I'm in the same boat. I have to pay for my health insurance. I pointed out that being a UK citizen I'm entitled to medicare. But, my employer says that health insurance for me is more to do with them not being financially responsible for anything that may happen to me while here. They wouldn't let me come off of it because HR were concerned of the financial risk to them should I get ill.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Dimples01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quoll
The reciprocal arrangement is for necessary medical care - I believe the rules for a 457 state that you need to have additional health insurance but remember that the vast majority of people coming in on that visa are not Poms and there may not be a reciprocal arrangement for them. As for school fees - you only pay them in NSW and ACT and you can reduce them by going for the Catholic system which will probably give you local rates rather than international rates.

LAFHA is to some extent designed to cover these additional costs which you would not incur were you living at home.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to Sydney and as a Catholic will be looking for a Catholic school (depending where I live of course)
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Ruskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant future

Not all schools in NSW charge the proposed fees. Some exercise some discretion. We don't pay for either of our kids
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

SunnyMD will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dimples01
Hi, on arrival in Oz go to Medicare and you will be given a Medicare card for reciprical cover - emergency, doctors appointments etc, however, what your employer says is true, you take out private health cover to protect him from having to pay for your treatment, not sure how it works but thats what we had to do !
We have Medicare for everyday stuff and emergencies, private cover for everything else and, I believe, the payments for the private cover are tax deductable too !