Medicare

Old Apr 4th 2002, 6:51 am
Just Joined

AndyP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicare

Hi

I'm currently going through the process of a 457 visa, but I'm confused as to the medicare system.

Apparantly the 457 isn't covered by medicare but UK residents are covered by the reciprocal agreement? Does this apply for 457 holders?

My problem is I take a common medication in the UK which I will need in Oz so I need to know if I can get it out there.

If anyone can shed any light I'll be very grateful (I'm due to be out there in about 6 weeks!)

Thanks

Andy
Old Apr 4th 2002, 7:17 am
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medicare

Andy,

An extract from the HIC website http://www.hic.gov.au/yourhealth/our_services/am.htm#b (HIC administers the Medicare program )

---------------------------------------
Am I eligible?
People who reside in Australia are eligible if they meet any of the following four criteria:

they hold Australian citizenship
they have been issued with a permanent visa
they hold New Zealand citizenship, or
they have applied for a permanent visa, restrictions apply to persons who have applied for a parent visa (other requirements apply).
The Commonwealth Government has signed Reciprocal Health Care Agreements with some countries. Under these arrangements, residents of these countries are entitled to restricted access to health cover while visiting Australia.
---------------------------------------
Not sure exactly where you you'd find the details of the Reciprocal Health Care Agreements though.

Cheers,
Paul.
Old Apr 4th 2002, 7:36 am
Just Joined

AndyP is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Paul

I've looked at this website a lot and unfortunately it isn't very clear for my specific problem.

I've read somewhere pre existing treatments are not covered but then again I've read if you run out of your medicine you just go to a doctor who'll sort you out with some more. Very Confusing!!!!!
Old Apr 4th 2002, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Wannastay is an unknown quantity at this point

as someone in Victoria on a 457 visa, the Medicare "Reciprocal Agreement" sucks the big one.

you pay full Medicare taxation (as a Citizen would), though you are only covered for Immediate and/or life threatening conditions that require prompt treatment.

basically, if you are not dying, you wont get it on Medicare. pre-existing conditions, if not life threatening, will be your own burden. You dont have to register with a specific Doctor, just rock up to a Surgey and get in line. Charges for decent doctors are aroung the $45 per half hour, plus whatever the cost of the prescription is.

might be worth calling medicare direct if you have any specific q's.

oh, private health insurance over here ? MEGA expensive, about to go up (you wont be eligible for the Gap Cover 30% premium rebate) and most of the important cover doesnt start for 12 months after you start paying.
Old Apr 5th 2002, 3:05 am
Alan Collett

Andy,

I think you'll find that you will be covered by Medicare as you are going to
Australia as a member of the NHS in the UK, but that over-riding this your employer
as your sponsor will have the responsibility of meeting the costs of any medical and
hospital costs. Either way you shouldn't have to pay anything personally - attend
your local Medicare office with your passport soon after you arrive and ask for a
Medicare Card.

Best regards.

Alan C www.gomatilda.com

AndyP wrote in message <[email protected]>... Hi

I'm currently going through the process of a 457 visa, but I'm confused as to the
medicare system.

Apparantly the 457 isn't covered by medicare but UK residents are covered by the
reciprocal agreement? Does this apply for 457 holders?

My problem is I take a common medication in the UK which I will need in Oz so I need
to know if I can get it out there.

If anyone can shed any light I'll be very grateful (I'm due to be out there in
about 6 weeks!)

Thanks

Andy

--
Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 5th 2002, 9:05 am
Vicki Stone

Hi

I totally agree with wannastay only life threatening/ immediatly necessary treatment
is covered under the agreement with the uk When my daughter broke her arm and I tried
to claim a rebate from medicare I was told it wasn't an emergency!!!??? I had to go
back to the doctor to get her computer notes to get the rebate!! I have my medicare
card in front of me and it says in big letters RECIPROCAL HEALTH CARE - IMMEDIATELY
NECESSARY CARE ONLY. I hope this helps. On a 457 you are no different than a holiday
maker in terms of medicare.

vicki

--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Old Apr 5th 2002, 3:35 pm
Robert Brockway

AndyP <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Hi

: I'm currently going through the process of a 457 visa, but I'm confused as to the
    : medicare system.

: Apparantly the 457 isn't covered by medicare but UK residents are covered by the
    : reciprocal agreement? Does this apply for 457 holders?

: My problem is I take a common medication in the UK which I will need in Oz so I
    : need to know if I can get it out there.

: If anyone can shed any light I'll be very grateful (I'm due to be out there in
    : about 6 weeks!)

As others have noted, the reciprocal system is for immediate health care only. There
is no substitute for travel insurance to cover you for the period that you not be
covered by full Medicare. Make sure the insurance people know you're coming as a
resident. Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. Email: [email protected]
not eat spam!