Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

medicals,what happens

medicals,what happens

Old Oct 20th 2004, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all
Default medicals,what happens

Hello all,

We are not due for med requests just yet but we wondered what DIMIA were looking for.I,ve heard that TB is an issue and also cancer.Are these checked by an x-ray but also do you have checks for other potential dangers such as skin cancer.The reason i ask this is we intend moving to Perth/Queensland and most of my work is going to be outside(where it can be obviously sunny at times).I just thought maybe they check for this due to the climate in certain areas.

any help would be great chippy & misses.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 7:49 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: medicals,what happens

Originally Posted by chippy dave
Hello all,

We are not due for med requests just yet but we wondered what DIMIA were looking for.I,ve heard that TB is an issue and also cancer.Are these checked by an x-ray but also do you have checks for other potential dangers such as skin cancer.The reason i ask this is we intend moving to Perth/Queensland and most of my work is going to be outside(where it can be obviously sunny at times).I just thought maybe they check for this due to the climate in certain areas.

I don't think so, they are checking for Aids & TB mainly. My family has a history of cancer, I put this on the form, Doctor did not even raise the issue. The medical was a lot more stringent than we were expecting.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

almor is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll probably go to the same "doctor" we used. If that's the case, all he does (once he wakes up) is give you a quick once over, go down a long list of questions (do you have any history of mental illness, heart disease, being a member of the communist party etc...), take an X-ray for chest infections (TB) and take blood tests (AIDS and other nasties)... nothing too stunning... apart from the size of his bill! Its a right royal rip-off. Just glad he didn't snap on the old rubber glove.

Nothing about skin cancer discussed. Best advice is to wear a shirt, big hat and drench yourself in factor 400. We lived in NZ for a while, and although I think its worse than Oz, you could get seriously burnt in fifteen minutes or less if you tried.

Almor

Hello all,

Old Oct 20th 2004, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant future

Just had medical last week - chest xray and HIV test, they may want to know if you've had jabs against TB ie BCG vaccinations! Just general health stuff, don't know about the skin cancer issue (won't be an issue for me as in an office in Canberra!)
Old Oct 20th 2004, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

hi there, we had our medicals done a couple of months ago... chest xrays,blood test(aids, tb) eye test, urine sample, weight, and a little prod around on the stomach. Again, nothing about skin cancer (I also have alot of family withcancer backgound.) You'll be fine. We where all cackin our pants, but it's really not that bad.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:58 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by funkybuddah
hi there, we had our medicals done a couple of months ago... chest xrays,blood test(aids, tb) eye test, urine sample, weight, and a little prod around on the stomach. Again, nothing about skin cancer (I also have alot of family withcancer backgound.) You'll be fine. We where all cackin our pants, but it's really not that bad.
Good list of what we had to; I also had the cough and drop test.

Cheers
Alistair
Old Oct 21st 2004, 2:54 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Hello all,

We went to Wrexham for our meds, he is a really good one, quick prod not a lot of questions, a dream, I think he is fed up at the sight of migrants and likes them done quick. The 3 of us took under an hour for everything inc xrays and bloods.
Jenny
Old Oct 21st 2004, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

almor is an unknown quantity at this point

He's the doctor we had. I'm sure he was dead.

He must make a fortune from those exams. He did all 6 of us in less than an hour!

Almor.

Originally Posted by jensteve
We went to Wrexham for our meds, he is a really good one, quick prod not a lot of questions, a dream, I think he is fed up at the sight of migrants and likes them done quick. The 3 of us took under an hour for everything inc xrays and bloods.
Jenny
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:14 pm
Cheeky

Hi there,

We had our meds on Tuesday and x-rays the week before. (only cos they were at 2 different places.)

Thought you might like to know how much they may charge you. Bear in mind though that costs do vary from Panel Doctor to Panal Doctor.

A breakdown of what we paid is:

£95 per adult medical
£50 per child medical
£30 per X-ray
£30 per blood test

Oh and £15 to pay for the postal charge to send them to Sydney.

So all in all for a family of 4 it cost us £455

What can you do though, its what they charge......and Im sure there are people out there who have paid more (or less) than we have.

Cheers,
Cheeky

Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

Hello again everyone,

Thanks very much for all your helpful replies it,s put our little minds at ease.

dave