Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicals, what to expect?

Medicals, what to expect?

Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medicals, what to expect?

Hi everyone,
We have our meds booked for this Friday and just wondering what to expect.
We are getting really nervous now, I have to have the Hep B test as well, and am "a bit portly" shall we say after our recent holiday in OZ (Ashmore steak & seafood you're to blame )
Anyway what happens and how long does the whole process take for say 2 adults 3 kids including x-rays.

Any info is appreciated for those who have been through it.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:36 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

When you see him putting on the latex gloves and asking you to drop you trousers and bend over start panicing

Seriously, its no big deal, basically a few general things like blood pressure, eye test, hearing test, height and weight and then a blood test. Nothing to panic or worry about at all.

Good luck !
Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:37 pm
WBB

cough and drop for the lads.

Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:39 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry you'll be fine assuming you have no pre existing serious problems.

Read more about others here:-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=232492

Afterwards...
Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:41 pm
mickj

Default Re: Medicals, what to expect?

Expect a lot of fondling, you have to take all your clothes off, eye test and all that. Just kidding....you do take your top off, you lie on a bed, you are told to raise hands, legs, turn around, open mouth, have an x-ray, blood test, and that's it

Originally posted by Dicko
Hi everyone,
We are getting really nervous now, I have to have the Hep B test as well, and am "a bit portly" shall we say after our recent holiday in OZ (Ashmore steak & seafood you're to blame )
Anyway what happens and how long does the whole process take for say 2 adults 3 kids including x-rays.

Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by arnie2oz
Don't worry you'll be fine assuming you have no pre existing serious problems.

Read more about others here:-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=232492

Afterwards...

Hi when you say no existing conditions, when it comes to major ops question, my wife had a Caeserian (wow big word ) with 2 of our kids I presume these are ok? she has had no problems from it.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 5:15 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

my wife had a Caeserian (wow big word ) with 2 of our kids I presume these are ok? she has had no problems from it.
It isn't even mentioned - relax you'll all be fine
Old Jun 9th 2004, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally posted by WBB
cough and drop for the lads.

I didn't have to get my old boy out........felt a bit short changed to be honest.......
Old Jun 9th 2004, 5:47 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Hi

One important note: don't worry about the meds.

My blood pressure was Hyper Tension (heart attack material) and I'm quite fit. I worried for weeks about it, because I was fearful they might find things, paranoid.

Anyway he took BP again and I was down to borderline. Doc advised me to go to my own GP then send the results onto him. Had them done and was 127 over 74, perfect. By the way I am now a BP expert as after that scare I bought a BP monitor!!

Other stuff they do is straightforward as peoples postings suggest. We were at docs about an hour, 2 adults 2 children

The x-rays were done by diferrent person and they took 10 mins.

As I say don't worry, take a few hours of work before hand and just chill out.

All at a bargain price of £650

Walla
Old Jun 9th 2004, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by walla1
Hi

One important note: don't worry about the meds.

My blood pressure was Hyper Tension (heart attack material) and I'm quite fit. I worried for weeks about it, because I was fearful they might find things, paranoid.

Anyway he took BP again and I was down to borderline. Doc advised me to go to my own GP then send the results onto him. Had them done and was 127 over 74, perfect. By the way I am now a BP expert as after that scare I bought a BP monitor!!

Other stuff they do is straightforward as peoples postings suggest. We were at docs about an hour, 2 adults 2 children

The x-rays were done by diferrent person and they took 10 mins.

As I say don't worry, take a few hours of work before hand and just chill out.

All at a bargain price of £650

Walla
Just quick point what about the urine sample ? We dont have 5 little bottles to take with us

Will they let us sort it there?

Cheers
Old Jun 9th 2004, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

jac16 is an unknown quantity at this point

We had our Medicals at Hansworth in Birmingham (Not sure where you are booked in).

We had to make sure we had filled in the forms & take our Passports & Photo's.

We had to children with us. They gave us a Plastic cup with our name written on it and told where the toilet is (Some other people with older children had to assist their children with, shall we say, aiming)

We then had a quick session with the Nurse, weighted and measured. She also took blood

We then had a very quick session with the Doctor who asked if we had any problems, we said no and he just filled in the form very quickly.

We had an x-ray that was that. The entire thing took a full morning due to the waiting about.

The most painfull thing was paying for it - Around £400 I seem to remember.

They then sent the results off to Australia for us. (I asked if they had found any problems and was told no problems - Not a big surprise but nice to know)

Hope this was helpfull & Good Luck

Jac
Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Elvis is an unknown quantity at this point

We are going on Monday 21st June for our meds, 2 Adults / 2 Children. My husband is really worried as he has had a few ops on one knee (Drained / Cartilage removed) . He runs everyday & is very fit.
He used to play rugby this is where the knee injuries happened, could anybody tell us if this could cause a problem?
Thanks
Katrina
Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:10 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Elvis
We are going on Monday 21st June for our meds, 2 Adults / 2 Children. My husband is really worried as he has had a few ops on one knee (Drained / Cartilage removed) . He runs everyday & is very fit.
He used to play rugby this is where the knee injuries happened, could anybody tell us if this could cause a problem?
Thanks
Katrina
i seriously doubt it, these are not the kind of things they are looking for.

Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Med Prices

Of interest for others we are going to Manchester and these are the charges we have been quoted,although we didnt shop around we just wanted a place that done meds & X-ray at same place:

Adult Meds £80 X 3
Child meds (under 10) £40 X 2
Chest X-ray (anyone over 11) £37 X 3
Hep B (because of tattoo) £18 X 1
HIV bloods (anyone over 15) £16 X 2
Courier charge £10 X 5

Grand Total: £531

Which as a matter of fact doesnt look bad compared to others quoted on this thread.

Thanks for all the feedback

Good Luck everyone
Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:51 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Just quick point what about the urine sample ? We dont have 5 little bottles to take with us

Will they let us sort it there?

Cheers
Hi

You can get them from your gp, just pop in

Re my blood pressure I have a belter of a story for you all when I have time to tell!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and chill

Walla

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.