Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicals...What does it consist of?.....

Wikiposts

Medicals...What does it consist of?.....

Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all
Question Medicals...What does it consist of?.....

Hi there,

just wanted to ask expats what the medicals consist of and what are they interested in?
Is it basic things like bloods,blood-pressure,x-ray etc...or do they want you to touch your toes and pee in a cup?

Would asthma be considered a problem and bad backs?

Lynn
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:32 am
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Medicals...What does it consist of?.....

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
Hi there,

just wanted to ask expats what the medicals consist of and what are they interested in?
Is it basic things like bloods,blood-pressure,x-ray etc...or do they want you to touch your toes and pee in a cup?

Lynn
The doc tests your weight,eyesight,blood pressure,urine,blood,
inc aids test for over 15s .nervous system,full chest x ray, and testicular test on gents. have i missed any?
good luck! Jan
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:32 am
& Sharon, Mike & Luke

andyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really nice

Good question, can we just add - do we need to detox for our blood tests? Have a feeling it would be a good idea
We also have asthma and bad backs to worry about so are very interested in the replies .... awaiting with much anticipation

Hi there,

Lynn
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Lynn
Yes yes and yes.

It is pretty basic.

You may well have to bend over and will definitely have to produce a urine sample.

Any illness can affect the result if it is serious and likely to lead to an inability to work or to put excessive costs on the Australian health system.

You should be OK with a bad back or asthma but it really depends on their severity.

G
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyedwards
Good question, can we just add - do we need to detox for our blood tests? Have a feeling it would be a good idea
We also have asthma and bad backs to worry about so are very interested in the replies .... awaiting with much anticipation
The blood tests are really only for HIV or Hepatitis B.

If they did a Liver function test then most on here would probably fail

G
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:38 am
& Sharon, Mike & Luke

andyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really nice

LOL That's put my liver at rest then!!

Cheers

Originally Posted by Grayling
The blood tests are really only for HIV or Hepatitis B.

If they did a Liver function test then most on here would probably fail

G
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jan
inc aids test for over 15s .nervous system,full chest x ray, and testicular test on gents. have i missed any?
good luck! Jan
What do they do to check your 'nervous system' and what does a 'full' chest x-ray entail,is it more than the basic routine x-rays used to detect broken bones ect.?
Lynn
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grayling
Yes yes and yes.

It is pretty basic.

You may well have to bend over and will definitely have to produce a urine sample.

Any illness can affect the result if it is serious and likely to lead to an inability to work or to put excessive costs on the Australian health system.

You should be OK with a bad back or asthma but it really depends on their severity.

G
Bugger,...my husband can't touch his toes because of his back,it is bad and does only work part-time because of it but we are applying on my job and i am completely fit and raring for work so what do you reckon?
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:49 am
Bitter and twisted

What do they do to check your 'nervous system' and what does a 'full' chest x-ray entail,is it more than the basic routine x-rays used to detect broken bones ect.?
Lynn
Don't get too worried.

The chest X ray is to check the lungs for signs of TB or possible tumours.

The 'Nervous System' check is for neurological defects and consists of Reflex testing and maybe balance.

The medicals are really very basic and a lot less than you would get if you went to a hospital for an operation or any investigations.

They are only looking for Communicable diseases or any condition or Pre-condition that may end up costing the health system a lot of money.

G
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:52 am
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough

Lynn
The chest Xray is to look at your heart and lungs for any past or present condition.The other test involved looking at the reaction to the doc going over different areas of your body with a tiny tap from an instrument for that purpose. Its no biggie.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:53 am
Bitter and twisted

Bugger,...my husband can't touch his toes because of his back,it is bad and does only work part-time because of it but we are applying on my job and i am completely fit and raring for work so what do you reckon?
Don't worry. It is very straightforward. I was not even asked to touch my toes and I am in my 50's.

Be honest with the questions on the medical forms though, as if you do not reveal existing conditions which later come to light it can be considered as fraud and visas can be withdrawn.

G
Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanx everyone for your input,
I have been a bit worried if i'm honest as he has had a lot of back problems and is often in agony,although he has refused any money from the gov even when they offered it as he didn't want to have that on his record.

I think in the immigration process they should do the medicals at the start cos,i wonder how many people have forked out the money,the effort of applying and got all their hopes up to find there is a reason medically why they can't go...

Lynn
Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:18 am
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there,

Lynn
I second what every1 has sed...... money for old rope really!

boomie
x
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jan
good luck! Jan
My hubby was fortunately for him not required to have his testicles examined. I know some ladies mentioned having a breast exam, but I didn't have that. I think it is down to the individual doctor's discretion, what he/she feels is necessary.

I can't think of anything you have missed.

Katie
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:45 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Gents get a prostate exam, as well as nuts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.