Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicals and Toddlers

Medicals and Toddlers

Old May 5th 2006, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Location: North East - planning to move to Southern Queensland
BillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud of
Default Medicals and Toddlers

We have our Medicals on Monday and have been asked to bring along urine samples. How the hell do we do that for our 18 month old toddler who is still in nappies?

I also wondered how thorough the medical will be for a such a little one - I can hardly get him to keep still for 1 minute.....

Any advice gratefully received.

Abby, Bill and Joe
Old May 5th 2006, 5:57 am
PJA
Forum Regular

PJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant future
Default Re: Medicals and Toddlers

Originally Posted by BillandAbby
We have our Medicals on Monday and have been asked to bring along urine samples. How the hell do we do that for our 18 month old toddler who is still in nappies?

I also wondered how thorough the medical will be for a such a little one - I can hardly get him to keep still for 1 minute.....

Abby, Bill and Joe
Our toddler will be having a medical too - but urine samples are for over 5's only. I believe your toddler will have his/her chest listened to ears, throat checked and that's about it. Sure it's nothing to worry about! Remind me I said that when we have ours in June!!

Jane
Old May 5th 2006, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Abby, Bill and Joe
You don't have to take urine samples if they're under a certain age (I think it was 5). DD (2.5) was the only one out of the 3 of us who had to have a medical - DH and I just had to have chest xrays. All they did was listen to her chest and heart, check her immunisation record and then "test" her on a couple of things (speech, sight, etc etc) . Nothing too bad really.
Old May 5th 2006, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Urine samples are for over 5s only

Abby, Bill and Joe
Old May 8th 2006, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Location: North East - planning to move to Southern Queensland
BillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Luma
Urine samples are for over 5s only
Just got back from having the meds - and as everyone said - they were fine. Took about an hour for the 3 of us - and did involve undressing and being prodded a bit but nothing too bad. The doctor (Newcastle upon Tyne) was great with our 18 month year old and as you all said the urine test and blood samples were just for the adults. He told us that the X-Rays were fine and said he didn't think that Sydney would have any concerns with any of it. The Blood Test results take about 3 days but he said we could assume no problems unless he rang.

All in all quite painless (apart from the cost - there goes 410 quid we'll never see again) - so now we are just waiting for the Police Checks to come back - they have had them 4 weeks so I have to give them at least another week before phoning and getting snippy!