British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   medicals and things? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/medicals-things-434121/)

scousercarol Mar 12th 2007 4:59 pm

medicals and things?

Hi,
I am a newbie to the forum and need some advice. I have just applied for a 457 visa. I have had my nomination approved by my prospective employer in Brisbane and have filled in an online application form. What is the next step? Do I need to get medical's etc done now, or do I wait until the consulate contact me and tell me what needs doing? Any other advice would be appreciated too,
Thanks in advance,
Carol

BIDERCLAN Mar 12th 2007 5:29 pm

Re: medicals and things?

Hi Carol
We received our 457 a couple of weeks ago and filled it on line etc. We started to book a medical etc to frontload, but then realised that if we wanted the application to be prossed quicker then a panel doctor that has the facilitates to complete the medicals on line would be better. If you track your application on line it will bring up message boxes at the end of each applicants name. Click on these and it will tell you what/if anything to do next. Eventually a message should come up saying something like - medicals required - you will then be directed to another page that will list the doctors who are able to complete the medicals on line. There are not many nationally - I think about 6. We used the one in Manchester.

If you are unable to get to one of these doctors, you can still use an ordinary panel doctor and then the paperwork will be sent in the usual way - just takes a bit longer. There is a list of ordinary panel docs on the DIMA website -

Hope this makes sense:thumbup:

Good luck, shouldn't take long. Ours took 4 weeks.

Debbie B

</IMG>

fillinghams Mar 12th 2007 8:54 pm

To speed things up get your medical done asap, this will be sent off and when your immigraton officer looks at your file they can approve your visa immediatly.

Dont worry about the medical, as long as your are fit to work over here then you will pass.

scousercarol Mar 12th 2007 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by fillinghams (Post 4510996)
To speed things up get your medical done asap, this will be sent off and when your immigraton officer looks at your file they can approve your visa immediatly.

Dont worry about the medical, as long as your are fit to work over here then you will pass.

Thanks for your replys, but where do I go to get medical? Apparently, cos, I will be working as midwife in oz I will need blood tests etc I have no idea how to begin!!!

BIDERCLAN Mar 13th 2007 8:16 am

hI cAROLE

AS i already mentioned you need to attend a panel doctor to do the medicals. There is a list on the immigration site. Yes you are right because you are in the medical field you will also require blood tests, these will be done on the same day as your medical with the same doctor as will your x rays(if required) The process is slightly less complicated for the 457 visa. Track your application on line it will tell you what to do next. If you want to front load the medicals you can, but because you have an e application it is very quick to use a doctor that has this facility - results are processed within 2 days - quicker than snail mail.

Hope this makes sense

Debbie

scousercarol Mar 13th 2007 12:45 pm

Thanks for your help,
I have tracked my application and organised medicals and chest xrays. I would'nt have known to do this without this forum, so thanks everyone xx
Carol