Reload this Page >

Medicals & Spouse visa

Wikiposts

Medicals & Spouse visa

Old Aug 28th 2003, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

stavros is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicals & Spouse visa

OK, an English person in a relationship with an Aussie for 4 years is applying for a spouses visa for Australia from the UK. Can you tell me if this is applying for a temporary or permanent visa?

The reason I ask is that if it is deemed a permanent visa, in the 107i expanation notes it says dependants (even if they are not migrating) have to take a medical as well!

We need to know if his 8 year old by another marriage not migrating will have to get a medical ?
Old Aug 29th 2003, 1:52 am
tennisoz

Default Re: Medicals & Spouse visa

Originally posted by stavros
OK, an English person in a relationship with an Aussie for 4 years is applying for a spouses visa for Australia from the UK. Can you tell me if this is applying for a temporary or permanent visa?

The reason I ask is that if it is deemed a permanent visa, in the 107i expanation notes it says dependants (even if they are not migrating) have to take a medical as well!

We need to know if his 8 year old by another marriage not migrating will have to get a medical ?

Stavros

I am new to this forum (see my thread in Immigration - Oz and NZ for details). From what I have discovered here and on the DIMIA website www.immi.gov.au/forms if you have a spouse for less than 5 years you are issued with a temporary visa which becomes a permanent visa 2 years later. The booklet 1127 Partner Migration on the DIMIA website explains all the details. However, if you wait until after 5 years you normally get a permanent visa first. I'll leave it to the experts but I would have thought the 8 year old who is included on the application requires a medical irrespective of whether it is a temporary or permanent visa you are applying for.

Good luck!

TennisOz

Old Aug 29th 2003, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medicals & Spouse visa

Originally posted by stavros

We had the same situation and yes, my hubby got a temp visa which converts to a perm after two years. As for the kid, my hubby has two kids from a previous marriage and we had a request from DIMA for meds and police checks for them even though they are not coming with us, on the letter however it stated that if you could prove that you did not get custody of them then you did not have to get meds etc. I contacted his solicitor in the UK and had him send a copy of the divorce settlement and (in our case) a letter stating that as he had been in the USA for 10 years quite clearly his ex-wife had full physical custody of the children.

There was a thread on this subject before so you might want to do a search. As I said, we applied in the USA for the spouse visa so it might be different for you.

Good luck anyway
Wannabe Wallaby