Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicals scared as, should i worry

Medicals scared as, should i worry

Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Medicals scared as, should i worry

Ok, just filled in my online 457 application and booked my medical and xray for tomorrow. Since im well stressed am bricking it thinking my blood pressure will be high.

Checked at home partner is a paramedic, and yeah my sytsolic was 142 the cut off point is 140. SO what happens if my bp is too high, do they refer to a cardiologist and do i have to pay loads more for that.

Am shitting my self
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:13 am
rjs
Forum Regular

rjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Medicals scared as, should i worry

Try not to worry,mine was high & the doc just sent me in another room for a few minutes to de stress & when i went back it had gone down ,they are not trying to catch you out & they understand it can be stressful, so try to relax & you will be fine .Good luck
robsxx
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sugo
Ok, just filled in my online 457 application and booked my medical and xray for tomorrow. Since im well stressed am bricking it thinking my blood pressure will be high.

Checked at home partner is a paramedic, and yeah my sytsolic was 142 the cut off point is 140. SO what happens if my bp is too high, do they refer to a cardiologist and do i have to pay loads more for that.

Am shitting my self
My Mrs had to have a cardiologist report. We had to pay for the consultation (£120), but she had loads of tests back in November, so he didn't need to repeat them. Her BP was actually fine in the cardiologists office.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Am shitting my self

What they will do is check it a few times to see if it goes down, if it does then they will just put it down to nerves.

Obviously if it's well over the top they would send you for more tests to see if it's an underlying medical problem.

Don't stress, the medicals are really easy and you'll wonder what all the fuss is about.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

i think that you will find that the Drs have a little discretion and 2 points difference may not even register... certainly not worth worrying about...

Also being a paramedic your OH is used to dealing with acute situations and is probably extremely accurate when doing BPs, ...... where as GPs tend to be a little ..... how do I put this without getting hauled in front of the NMC? ..... more relaxed in their approach... ?

Important thing is to calm down, relax and DONT STRESS

I was terrified of the medicals as I have a medical 'history' (which included previous clinical high BP )

Tell your OH to stop stressing you out and don't let him take it again
Old Jun 19th 2007, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

rhona is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by eddie007
i think that you will find that the Drs have a little discretion and 2 points difference may not even register... certainly not worth worrying about...

Also being a paramedic your OH is used to dealing with acute situations and is probably extremely accurate when doing BPs, ...... where as GPs tend to be a little ..... how do I put this without getting hauled in front of the NMC? ..... more relaxed in their approach... ?

Important thing is to calm down, relax and DONT STRESS

I was terrified of the medicals as I have a medical 'history' (which included previous clinical high BP )

Tell your OH to stop stressing you out and don't let him take it again
hi there myself and my oh are going for medicals next thursday. Can anyone tell me what to expect. What do they check? Do you have to strip - thats really stressing me out as I dont think its a female doctor! Do you go in separately?
Rhona
Old Jun 19th 2007, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all

Am shitting my self
A normal 457 doesn't need a medical - only need an X-ray.

If you'll be working with kids, in an hospital environment or as a student then you need a medical as well.

My wife and I did the 457 medicals 2 weeks ago, and only my 5-year old son needed a medical (but not the x-rays).

Z
Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

True Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rhona
hi there myself and my oh are going for medicals next thursday. Can anyone tell me what to expect. What do they check? Do you have to strip - thats really stressing me out as I dont think its a female doctor! Do you go in separately?
Rhona

Hi Rhona

I know that we heard this a million times before our meds but it doesn't make any difference - don't worry!! Honestly, we came out and wondered what all the fuss was about.

We, family of 4, all went in to see our doctor, Dr Million in Manchester. He was fantastic. OH and I had our xrays individually, had to take top half clothes off but were given a dressing gown to wear for the xrays. After supplying our wee sample (checked with a little stick) we went in to see the doctor all together. He checked the boys (6 and 9) weight, height, ears, eyes and chest - think that was it???? We had to have our height and weight checked, blood pressure, blood samples and then behind a curtain, took off jeans and was given a blanket to preserve my modesty (!) had a prod around the abdomen and then checked my reflexes - that was it - honestly, nothing scarey!!!

Good luck with your meds - I'm sure you'll come out and wonder what all the stress was about!!!!

Di x

PS: Bit concerned I've just replied to a "bunny boiler"!!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

well had it today, BP was still high but not too high and it went down, silly really im an emergency nurse and i was still nervous as anything. But it wasnt too bad and not cold shakey hands touching my balls which was good, wasnt looking forward to that but he didnt do it.

Think everything will be ok, as long as my bloods come back ok.

Since i will be working in a hospital needed the whole thing, xrays, hiv, hep b,c, and syphilis tested. Funny really like nurses and doctors are more likely to catch syphilis????

so will find out in a week if it was all ok.

fingers crossed
Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:56 am
Brendan,cath&family,Derry

brendan d is a name known to allbrendan d is a name known to allbrendan d is a name known to allbrendan d is a name known to allbrendan d is a name known to allbrendan d is a name known to allbrendan d is a name known to allbrendan d is a name known to allbrendan d is a name known to allbrendan d is a name known to allbrendan d is a name known to all

Hi, im sure everything will be fine.
We havnt got that far yet but wanted info on costs etc.
We have 4 kids, oldest being 16.
Is it an independant doctor or does it go thru your own gp?
Brendan d
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brendan d
Hi, im sure everything will be fine.
We havnt got that far yet but wanted info on costs etc.
We have 4 kids, oldest being 16.
Is it an independant doctor or does it go thru your own gp?
Brendan d

You have to use a panel doctor. The list is here: http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/over...el-doctors.htm
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You are good still having all that rubbish bookmarked
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You are good still having all that rubbish bookmarked

They aren't bookmarked

I just know exactly where to look
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
They aren't bookmarked

I just know exactly where to look
Well it's time you forgot. Pass the baton on. You've done your bit
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Well it's time you forgot. Pass the baton on. You've done your bit

True.

I'm just waiting on something to upload to the web, so I'm killing time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.