Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

medicals results

medicals results

Old Sep 9th 2002, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

dave319 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default medicals results

I want to apply to migrate to oz on a skilled worker visa. I think i have a fairly good chance of suceeding except that i could well fail the medical due to the high cost of my treatment. Does anyone know if it is possible to get the results of the medical before proceeding with the rest of the application process. Also, am i right in thinking that you simply get a pass or fail for the medical or could i lose points in my application or something similar for my condition. All help appreciated,... dave.
Old Sep 10th 2002, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: medicals results

Originally posted by dave319:
I want to apply to migrate to oz on a skilled worker visa. I think i have a fairly good chance of suceeding except that i could well fail the medical due to the high cost of my treatment. Does anyone know if it is possible to get the results of the medical before proceeding with the rest of the application process. Also, am i right in thinking that you simply get a pass or fail for the medical or could i lose points in my application or something similar for my condition. All help appreciated,... dave.
The immigration department are looking to see if your medical condition will put undue costs onto the medical system in Australia. If it's going to cost a small sum to keep you going, they will not pay.

If your bothered and want to know if your medical condition will be ok, go and see a doctor and get them to check you out first. You may have to pay for this (not sure if the NHS will cover a full blown checkup) Tell the doctor your migrating to Australia and want to know if there is anything majorly wrong with you. Any doctor DIMA approved or not will be able to tell you if you have something wrong.

If a GP gives you the OK and has followed the tests required by DIMA, then I would assume that your fit for life in Australia. However you never can tell.

If you know that you suffer from a medical condition and your ok with it, tell the group. There are a lot of people here and some maybe in the same situation.

Also when you do go for your DIMA approved medical and they find something wrong with you, they will tell you. My medical resulted in the doctor telling me I had to lose some weight (about 12kgs over weight ), most of this weight was put on while I have been in Australia (Food is good Here). However this would not effect my assessment.

Kieron
Old Sep 10th 2002, 8:58 am
Ian Guy

Default Re: medicals results

Things like asthma and diabetes (if controlled) are OK - renal dialysis isn't - if
you need chemotherapy they ain't going to pay for it if they know you need it!

"shorrock" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by dave319:
    > > I want to apply to migrate to oz on a skilled worker visa. I think i have a
    > > fairly good chance of suceeding except that i could well fail the medical due to
    > > the high cost of my treatment. Does anyone know if it is possible to get the
    > > results of the medical before proceeding with the rest of the application
    > > process. Also, am i right in thinking that you simply get a pass or fail for the
    > > medical or could i lose points in my application or something similar for my
    > > condition. All help appreciated,... dave.
    > The immigration department are looking to see if your medical condition will put
    > undue costs onto the medical system in Australia. If it's going to cost a small
    > sum to keep you going, they will not pay.
    > If your bothered and want to know if your medical condition will be ok, go and see
    > a doctor and get them to check you out first. You may have to pay for this (not
    > sure if the NHS will cover a full blown checkup) Tell the doctor your migrating to
    > Australia and want to know if there is anything majorly wrong with you. Any doctor
    > DIMA approved or not will be able to tell you if you have something wrong.
    > If a GP gives you the OK and has followed the tests required by DIMA, then I would
    > assume that your fit for life in Australia. However you never can tell.
    > If you know that you suffer from a medical condition and your ok with it, tell the
    > group. There are a lot of people here and some maybe in the same situation.
    > Also when you do go for your DIMA approved medical and they find something wrong
    > with you, they will tell you. My medical resulted in the doctor telling me I had
    > to lose some weight (about 12kgs over weight ), most of this weight was put on
    > while I have been in Australia (Food is good Here). However this would not effect
    > my assessment.
    > Kieron
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com