Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicals - poor eyesight

Medicals - poor eyesight

Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of
Unhappy Medicals - poor eyesight

Hiya everyone

I have been thinking about our medicals (only just sent TRA stuff in but I do like to plan ahead).
I have just one major concern :
My son has very poor vision(well, hardly any) in one of his eyes - glasses do not help as he has scarring on his retina which cannot be cured. He copes fine at school and does not need any extra help as he is able to compensate using his other eye which has perfect vision.
I am concerned that he will fail the eye test leading to him failing his medical.
My mind is now working overtime with worry.

Anybody got any advice or experiences they would like to share.

Cheers

JO
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:05 pm
Anyone seen my coat???

chopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nice
Default Re: Medicals - poor eyesight

Originally Posted by joeyb
Hiya everyone

I have been thinking about our medicals (only just sent TRA stuff in but I do like to plan ahead).
My son has very poor vision(well, hardly any) in one of his eyes - glasses do not help as he has scarring on his retina which cannot be cured. He copes fine at school and does not need any extra help as he is able to compensate using his other eye which has perfect vision.
I am concerned that he will fail the eye test leading to him failing his medical.

Cheers

JO
Fear not ol' friend.
I had my Med last Monday, and i can only read the Top Letter on the Eyesight chart with my left eye.
Right eye is fine.
Doc said no prob, just means you cant drive public service vehicles....oh well!!
So stop panicing.

Cheers'en.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:19 pm
www.perthcrest.com.au

The Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by joeyb
Hiya everyone

Cheers

JO
My eye sight is awful too. Didnt seem to worry the Doc though.

We passed no worries. Just talk to the Doc on the day, and I am sure he will re-assure you.

Good luck,

Nicola
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Thanks to you both for your reassurance - it has made me feel loads better.
I will sleep well tonight unless I think of something else to start panicking about!

Cheers

Jo
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:50 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

hehe just sitback and relax and think about the good things like the weather...
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScottyTee
hehe just sitback and relax and think about the good things like the weather...
I can feel that sunshine now!
Old Jan 31st 2006, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

Polyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud of

I would add that it may be judicious to have an ophthalmologists report to confirm that this injury is not progressive, nor in their opinion related to another medical condition. The original exam report should be ok.

Take this to the meds, allow the doc. to send with medical reports if they feel it worthy of inclusion.

Again, as previous posts, should be no worries - but be prepared.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

I don't even think we had eye tests when we had our meds done
Old Jan 31st 2006, 10:34 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I've got bad eye-sight (struggle with reading the messages on BE) and therefore was worried about the eye test.

I took the little card from the opticians with me that states the strength of my prescription and handed this over to the doctor doing the medical. She copied this down on the form.

For the test, I didn't even have to take out my contact lenses. Also, she didn't test each eye individually. She just had the usual chart with letters in different sizes at the back of her door and asked me to read off as many as I could. That was all!

Gina