Reload this Page >

Medicals and police checks

Medicals and police checks

Old Nov 11th 2003, 1:21 pm
Melbourne wannabe

Sparkley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicals and police checks

Sorry - more questions!
I'd hoped to organise these before my trip to Oz but haven't had a chance so will have to do it when I return - or might even try and get the police check rolling before I go. I don't want to hold up applying any longer than nec - how long did getting appointments (medical) and then awaiting results (both) take for you?
Cheers me dears!
Sparkley
Old Nov 11th 2003, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I would ring up and get appointments before you go as many of the places have around 4 week waits. You can book a long way in advance if you like and can always cancel if need be.

Our Doctor filled the forms in there and then, blood test results took about a week.We took them straight back home with us ready to post off.
Old Nov 11th 2003, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Burnsy74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sparkley,
The police check should take less than a week. Just call in to the local cop shop and fill out the forms, they will send them internally to headquarters and you should get the back within the week.
Burnsy74
Old Nov 11th 2003, 3:20 pm
Melbourne wannabe

Thanks - I'll follow both of your advice!
Sparkley
Old Nov 11th 2003, 3:25 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Burnsy74
Sparkley,
The police check should take less than a week. Just call in to the local cop shop and fill out the forms, they will send them internally to headquarters and you should get the back within the week.
Burnsy74

just had my police check back and it took around 3 weeks, the medical was booked a week in advance for thursday.

good luck

Old Nov 11th 2003, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Burnsy74
Sparkley,
Burnsy74

Don't bank on it ! My police checks (Met) gave a limit of 40 days - we got them back in about 30 days.

Medicals were really quick as we went to a travel clinic in central London that was geared up for these things - could have done it all in a few days.

Good luck
Old Nov 11th 2003, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Barbara 2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medicals and police checks

Our police checks took about 2months to get back.
We sent them in London.
My partner also sent an application off to Dublin for his Irish check which was an absolute nightmare to chase up. About 20 phonecalls London to Dublin at peak rate, of which the last 4 became extremly irate!- and we got it after waiting nearly 3months.
Got the medical results back within a few days. Waited a couple of weeks for the xray appt, got the med one straight away.

Good luck!
Old Nov 11th 2003, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

rumbletum will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Medicals and police checks

Originally posted by Sparkley
Sorry - more questions!
I'd hoped to organise these before my trip to Oz but haven't had a chance so will have to do it when I return - or might even try and get the police check rolling before I go. I don't want to hold up applying any longer than nec - how long did getting appointments (medical) and then awaiting results (both) take for you?
Cheers me dears!
Sparkley
Hi Sparkley

I think your police check will probably take longer than one week. When we went into the local police station, they said they didnt have any forms and we had to ring Lloyd House in Birmingham for the forms to be sent out. Took a couple of days. We filled them in and sent them off before we went on holiday in the summer. Didnt get them back for about 4 weeks which I thought was very good. The forms actually stated that processing time was up to 40 days.
With regards to the medicals, this was a lot quicker. Just rang a doctor on the Panel, who was fairly close to our address, made the appointment for two weeks later, and only waited 10 days for the blood tests results to come through.
Then just had to pick up the medical forms and Xrays and send them off to Adelaide with the application form.
Good Luck, hope you dont have to wait too long
Old Nov 11th 2003, 8:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

A week is being horribly optimistic. Bear in mind that your form has to go from your local Police HQ up to New Scotland Yard, and back to you, all by post. Thats ithout any time taken for checking the form.
Burnsy, I may be wrong but I think if you are in NI it makes its a lot quicker cos its virtually done on the spot, rather than through NSY, so that could explain the speed.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 2:49 pm
Melbourne wannabe

Burnsy, I may be wrong but I think if you are in NI it makes its a lot quicker cos its virtually done on the spot, rather than through NSY, so that could explain the speed.
Oh cool - I'm in NI too!

Hey Burnsy maybe cya in Melbourne!
Old Nov 12th 2003, 6:32 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Seems to be different depending where you are. For what it's worth, I e-mailed my local police force (from Kent police website), they sent me a form pretty quickly and then it took about three weeks to get the letter confirming that I'm a good boy.

I've just booked my medicals in London for 1 December. £145 for everything and I can pick the results up a couple of days later. Going to a place that does X-Rays and medicals together.