Reload this Page >

Medicals and past depression

Medicals and past depression

Old May 5th 2005, 9:41 am
Just Joined

ckilcline is on a distinguished road
Default Medicals and past depression

Hi

We had our medicals yesterday and all went well but I had a bout of depression a couple of years ago due to some family issues and the doctor said he would like to include a note from my GP explaining that it was just reactionary and isn't a long term thing.

The doctor said he wasn't worried but I just wanted to get any thoughts on whether people think this would affect our application. Other than that we're both very fit and healthy with no health problems.

Any comments ?

Thanks in advance
Caroline
Old May 5th 2005, 9:47 am
Just Joined

ckilcline is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Medicals and past depression

Sorry - just realised I posted this in the wrong forum. I'll put it where it should be now !

Apologies.
Old May 5th 2005, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Spindels is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife had a similar situation to yours. The doctor required a letter from her GP. He was mostly interested in whether it was a reoccuring problem and whether it would affect her longterm. GP's letter confirmed that she was ok and we gave it to the doctor who included it in the medical envelope and we didn't hear anything else. I think they are more interested if you are clinically depressed and on longterm medication meaning that you will not be to support yourself.
Old May 5th 2005, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Should have no problems at all.
Old May 5th 2005, 10:40 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ckilcline
Hi

We had our medicals yesterday and all went well but I had a bout of depression a couple of years ago due to some family issues and the doctor said he would like to include a note from my GP explaining that it was just reactionary and isn't a long term thing.

The doctor said he wasn't worried but I just wanted to get any thoughts on whether people think this would affect our application. Other than that we're both very fit and healthy with no health problems.

Any comments ?

Thanks in advance
Caroline
My wife had the same problem. Despite the doctor being cautious and sending her report to Sydney as category B they still passed her first time. No worries!
Old May 6th 2005, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

Wouldnt worry I had the same the medical doctor just said to me you werent depressed you were sad and everybody gets a bit down

If we stigmatised everyone who had been depressd at some time no one would get to Australia its sort of like the thing people dont talk about but most of us have been there at some point

and many of us trying to sell the blasted houses are going there again

keep your chin up
love Mary
Old May 6th 2005, 2:57 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Medicals and past depression

Originally Posted by ckilcline
Hi

Any comments ?

Thanks in advance
Caroline
Hi,

I had depression 7 years ago (post natal) Dr didn't bat an eyelid! It was in my notes that it probably wasn't true post natal depression as I only had it after one of four pregnancies but my best friend lost her baby which probably had more to do with it.

We've been here 4 months now so it didn't get in our way.....Good luck.

Phil x