Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicals in Hitchin

Medicals in Hitchin

Old Feb 20th 2004, 8:04 am
Sydney since Oct 04

l_jg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicals in Hitchin

We had our medicals at Hitchin, Herts yesterday. Everything seemed ok, doctor was nice enough, but not very chatty, I think we were the last ones of the day and he just wanted to go home! Cost a bit more than expected because I have a tattoo - extra £50 for Hep B and Hep C tests :scared:

The costs seemed comparable to other posts I've read on this forum...
£130 each for medical and xray
£25 for Hep B test (because I have a tattoo)
£25 for Hep C test (again, because I have a tattoo)
£40 to send them off to Adelaide
Total cost £350 :scared:

Should get the blood test results at end of next week, so fingers still crossed until then....

Just wondering if anyone has actually checked with DIMIA whether the extra blood tests are necessary, I know some people on the forum who have tattoos weren't asked to do extra blood tests, and I'm just wondering whether this doctor saw the dollar signs flash before his eyes - especially as he asked the cheque to be made out to himself AND he put the cheque in his wallet when we were leaving - how dodgy is that?!?

Good luck to everyone else doing meds at the minute

Lisa
Old Feb 20th 2004, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Medicals in Hitchin

Originally posted by l_jg
We had our medicals at Hitchin, Herts yesterday. Everything seemed ok, doctor was nice enough, but not very chatty, I think we were the last ones of the day and he just wanted to go home! Cost a bit more than expected because I have a tattoo - extra £50 for Hep B and Hep C tests :scared:

The costs seemed comparable to other posts I've read on this forum...
£130 each for medical and xray
£25 for Hep B test (because I have a tattoo)
£25 for Hep C test (again, because I have a tattoo)
£40 to send them off to Adelaide
Total cost £350 :scared:

Should get the blood test results at end of next week, so fingers still crossed until then....

Just wondering if anyone has actually checked with DIMIA whether the extra blood tests are necessary, I know some people on the forum who have tattoos weren't asked to do extra blood tests, and I'm just wondering whether this doctor saw the dollar signs flash before his eyes - especially as he asked the cheque to be made out to himself AND he put the cheque in his wallet when we were leaving - how dodgy is that?!?

Good luck to everyone else doing meds at the minute

Lisa
don't know whether extra blood tests are required by dimia, but had to have them also because of tattoo. and yes your doctor sounds dodgy, but then i hasd to pay in cash for mine!

Mummy
Mummy
Old Feb 20th 2004, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

that seems a bit dodgy to me !! We are planning to use the doctor in Hitchin aswell.

I wonder whether my bloke will have to have the extra blood tests- he doesnt have a tattoo but has his nipple pierced ( don't ask !! ) or is it only tattoos ??

natty
Old Feb 20th 2004, 11:56 am
Sydney since Oct 04

Theoretically he should have the hepatitis tests done, as you can get hepatitis from piercings too, but I bet all those people who have their ears pierced and no tattoos did not have to do a hep test. Maybe you should check when you phone to book and try a few different doctors - not all of them require the hep tests even for people with tattoos, it seems as though it is down to the individual doctors to make that decision!

Good luck!

Lisa

Originally posted by natty
that seems a bit dodgy to me !! We are planning to use the doctor in Hitchin aswell.

I wonder whether my bloke will have to have the extra blood tests- he doesnt have a tattoo but has his nipple pierced ( don't ask !! ) or is it only tattoos ??

natty
Old Feb 20th 2004, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

Thanks Lisa

yes I will give them a ring nearer the time. a bit premature of me as still waiting for skills assessment result ! still its good to be prepared !!

natty
Old Feb 20th 2004, 2:00 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

We had our medicals in Hitchin. He semmed quite nice. I don't care where he sticks the money, as long as he posts those forms off!
Old Feb 20th 2004, 7:59 pm
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by SteveBannister
We had our medicals in Hitchin. He semmed quite nice. I don't care where he sticks the money, as long as he posts those forms off!
To right!! My hubby had his medical done there too and everything was ok and above board. He was granted his visa last year so we know that everything was done right.

I don't think it was the time of day by the way. we went at lunch time and he didn't speak much then either!!!

Sally
Old Feb 20th 2004, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottalison6 is an unknown quantity at this point

nice one..paperwork requesting meds arrived from agent today so i'll be heading to hithin asap??

Anyone know the waiting times???for booking meds!!

cheers

scott
Old Feb 21st 2004, 6:06 pm
Sydney since Oct 04

We got booked in within a week, had the xray and medical done on the same day which was very handy as didn't have to take so much time off work!

Originally posted by scottalison6
nice one..paperwork requesting meds arrived from agent today so i'll be heading to hithin asap??

Anyone know the waiting times???for booking meds!!

cheers

scott
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

We had ours done in Hitchin too, sounds like the same doctor. He insisted back then that we pay in cash. Can't say the examination was very thorough, tell a lie, the only bit that was thorough was my breast examination!!! My son was very keen to do the eye test, Dr Happy said "Can you see the eye chart?" , son said "yes", Dr Happy said "good, let's check your reflexes". My son wanted to read the letters out but oh no Dr happy was obviously in too much of a rush it being last thing Friday afternoon. Not complaining though, got the forms done & we got here!

Loopy
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 3:06 am
Just Joined

miss brodie is an unknown quantity at this point

Um, I had meds in Hitchin too ... and the doc had clearly been on the booze. "Can you see my hand?" was the eye test and "You don't have any tattoos do you? " as he sat looking at my tattoo!