Reload this Page >

Medicals and diabetes

Medicals and diabetes

Old Jan 31st 2007, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Nette is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Medicals and diabetes

Can anyone please help?!

I am due to go for my medical in a couple of weeks and am panicking that I am not going to pass.

I have insulin dependent diabetes and even though my diabetes is very well controlled (My latest blood result put me in the ‘lowest risk’ of complications range) I am terrified they are going to fail me.

Are there any other diabetics out there who have passed their medicals? What did they ask you? What did you take to the medical to prove that your diabetes was well controlled? Has anyone failed their medical due to diabetes?

As you can probably tell, I am totally stressing out (not helping my blood sugars in the slightest!!) and would appreciate any reassurance (or not!) that you can offer!

Thanks
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

jonjelly will become famous soon enoughjonjelly will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Medicals and diabetes

hello, i dont really know much about diabetes but i know that my uncle did fail his medical beacuse he had it. he went back to the doctors and they put him on tablets and on a real strict diet. he then had another medical and passed he is in oz now. i know this type is obviously different to your diabetes but i recommend you take everything with you, they will probably photo sopy it and attach it to the forms, im sure you will be ok i know how worrying it is. let me know how you get on. good luck
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of
Default Re: Medicals and diabetes

Originally Posted by jonjelly
hello, i dont really know much about diabetes but i know that my uncle did fail his medical beacuse he had it. he went back to the doctors and they put him on tablets and on a real strict diet. he then had another medical and passed he is in oz now. i know this type is obviously different to your diabetes but i recommend you take everything with you, they will probably photo sopy it and attach it to the forms, im sure you will be ok i know how worrying it is. let me know how you get on. good luck
I know someone that has type 1 diabetes but has passed their medicals and are now in Oz. It was very well controlled and there was nothing else wrong. Hopefully you will be fine. Good luck with it.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm just worried that I am so near to achieving the dream and yet still so far!

Will let you know how I go on the big day!!!

Thanks again.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

brad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Nette
Thanks for your feedback.

I'm just worried that I am so near to achieving the dream and yet still so far!

Will let you know how I go on the big day!!!

Thanks again.
HI
As long as you can prove it is under control you should be fine.I also have diabetes and had no problem.Take your latest blood results.
Brad
Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:19 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think you will have a problem, just take your record of bm's and maybe a letter from your gp may help stating the diabetes is under control, I cant see them failing you on diabetes alone its like anything else if there are other problems related to the diabetes you may have a problem, but if you are fit and well there will be no problem at all......
Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:19 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think you will have a problem, just take your record of bm's and maybe a letter from your gp (annual review book??) may help stating the diabetes is under control, I cant see them failing you on diabetes alone its like anything else if there are other problems related to the diabetes you may have a problem, but if you are fit and well there will be no problem at all......
Old Jan 31st 2007, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

ian28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nettie,
I am in the same position, I have been a type 1 diabetic for 22 years and have just started the visa process. I did however have a pre medical, that which if passed could possibly be used as the medical for my visa application. If it does fail, they will send it to me so that I can look over the problem's and hopefully correct them.
I am probably going to use Go Matilda for the visa application as I have been recommended of them by users of this site, and they seem very helpful on first impressions.
Anyway keep in touch, and let us now how you go.
Good luck,
Ian
Old Jan 31st 2007, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

ian28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for the mispelling of your name!
Nette
Old Feb 1st 2007, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again to everyone for thier reassurance.

Will put on a posting to let you know the outcome.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:15 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Can anyone please help?!

I am due to go for my medical in a couple of weeks and am panicking that I am not going to pass.

I have insulin dependent diabetes and even though my diabetes is very well controlled (My latest blood result put me in the ‘lowest risk’ of complications range) I am terrified they are going to fail me.

Are there any other diabetics out there who have passed their medicals? What did they ask you? What did you take to the medical to prove that your diabetes was well controlled? Has anyone failed their medical due to diabetes?

As you can probably tell, I am totally stressing out (not helping my blood sugars in the slightest!!) and would appreciate any reassurance (or not!) that you can offer!

Thanks
Hiya,
Take a breath and don't worry, it is possible.
Andrew although not insulin dependent needed to see an endcronologis,an opthomologist and a urologist. He needed so supply written documentation from these to say that his condition was under control and there was a good prognosis for the future. The opthomologist had to take a photograph of his eyes and supply this with his letter. We sent all these documents after the medical forms as DIMIA requested them.
Good luck, you'll be right.
Sarah
Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Sideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really nice

Hi Nette,

I'm also Type 1 diabetic and we were just granted our visa last week. When I had my medical, they asked the usual questions about control, eyes etc and then I was sent for more blood tests to prove I was in good control. They also wanted the results from my last eye examination and a letter from a GP or consultant to reiterate that I was infact T1 and that I was a sensible person and in good control. If you can get your HbA1c under 7 then you should be fine. Good Luck!

Elaine
(Ayrshire to Melbourne Sept 07)
Old Feb 15th 2007, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Unhappy Re: Medicals and diabetes

Well, I said I would let you know how it all went!

Sad to say not as great as I thought it would.

Despite taking a letter from my Consultant Diabetologist and a HBA1C reading of 5.9%, I am being sent for more blood tests. They want kidney tests and others that I have never even heard of.

Is this the norm?????

The waiting game just goes on!!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

brickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian28
Hi Nettie,
I am in the same position, I have been a type 1 diabetic for 22 years and have just started the visa process. I did however have a pre medical, that which if passed could possibly be used as the medical for my visa application. If it does fail, they will send it to me so that I can look over the problem's and hopefully correct them.
I am probably going to use Go Matilda for the visa application as I have been recommended of them by users of this site, and they seem very helpful on first impressions.
Anyway keep in touch, and let us now how you go.
Good luck,
Ian
Choose an Agent with a good understanding of Medical Issues. Not all of them do.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 5:29 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Well, I said I would let you know how it all went!

Sad to say not as great as I thought it would.

Despite taking a letter from my Consultant Diabetologist and a HBA1C reading of 5.9%, I am being sent for more blood tests. They want kidney tests and others that I have never even heard of.

Is this the norm?????

The waiting game just goes on!!
Stick with it, this is exactly what happened to Andrew and we have been here 16 months now.
Sarah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.