Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Medicals...All the gory details

The Medicals...All the gory details

Old Sep 21st 2004, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Medicals...All the gory details

I was meaning to post this the day after our medicals took place which was last Thursday but simply haven't had time so I'll go for it now.

The family Three Legs: myself, the wife (Sarah) and sons Lucas (22 months) & Zak (5 weeks) arrived at the Doctor's surgery at 4.30pm sharp to be greeted by the maddest Doc you'll ever come across. I'd describe him as a cross between Avid Merrion & Reg Holdsworth (Ex Coronation Strazza)...a bizarre oddball type but very amusing and immediately put us at ease.

The following describes what we did and I would imagine it's pretty similar routine for most medicals.

Sarah went first:

He checks the passport against the medical form and signs the form to acknowledge it is indeed the person on the application. He also writes the passport number on the form.

He then proceeded to go through the form with Sarah basically checking the answers which had already been ticked.

Following this Sarah was weighed, measured, ears & eyes checked and then asked to lie on the bed to have her belly checked...He reckons he was looking for hernia's. Blood pressure taken afterwards. He then checked eyesight from a wall chart. Everything OK.

The HIV / Aids test result was then passed to Sarah and he Okayed the chest X-ray.

Same procedure for the kids without the eye tests, HIV or X-rays although he did check their testicles !!!

Basically same for me as Sarah.

To be honest it was all very painless even though it took an hour and a half in total for all four of us.

The only raised eyebrow was when I mentioned I'd dabbled with drugs at University 10 years ago...His response amused me though: "I've been to Amsterdam twice !!!" he said...in a cheeky way. Bearing in mind the Doc was over 60 he was a cool guy.

He then sealed all the envelopes up with the forms, X-rays, certified copies of Zaks passport identity page & birth certificate and our Police checks which I'd brought. He then posted them the next day registered (with £360 insurance cover) and I E-mailed the Case Officer to say they were on there way.

Costs:
HIV Blood Tests £10 each (Adults Only)
X-Rays £42 each (Ditto)
Medicals (£80 each Adults, £40 each Children)
Police Checks £10 each (Adults Only)

Hope this helps anyone in the same boat.

Right back to the grog now...We're in full health...yippee

The family Three Legs