British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Medicals aarrgghh!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/medicals-aarrgghh-116852/)

teresa.c Nov 11th 2002 3:52 pm

Medicals aarrgghh!!

I have just read the last lot of threads about medicals and now I am more confused than ever!
What exactly will prevent you getting into OZ, other than the obvious HIV and TB?
How bad does your BP have to be? I have had mild hypertension for a while now, will they refuse me on these grounds?
What else should I be worrying about??
Please put my mind at rest!!:scared:

Ginny Nov 11th 2002 9:19 pm

Re: Medicals aarrgghh!!

Originally posted by teresa.c
I have just read the last lot of threads about medicals and now I am more confused than ever!
What exactly will prevent you getting into OZ, other than the obvious HIV and TB?
How bad does your BP have to be? I have had mild hypertension for a while now, will they refuse me on these grounds?
What else should I be worrying about??
Please put my mind at rest!!:scared:

Hi there,

There are limits for your BP depending on age. For 40 and under I think it was 140/90. I think if your hypertension is well controlled then you should be ok otherwise you may need to get a Cardiologist review. Try doing a search because when we were going through our medicals there was quite a few threads on this.

Hope this helps

Ginny

poggle Nov 11th 2002 10:07 pm

Hi Teresa,

Firstly, stop worrying!! its the last thing you want to be doing if you suffer with hypertention!!
Im not a doctor, or Nurse [unfortunately!!!] but going on advice given from previous postings, the main concern re: the medicals seems to be a case of will you be a burden to the health service in aus. If your condition require expensive drugs, then it may be a concern to them. So if you are not on medication to control your hypertention im sure you'll be ok! I was worried about the medicals a while ago, as my partner is overweight, although his B.P. and everything else is 'normal'! we were worried we might fail on the weight issue! but were re-assured by other posters that it would be ok! Check out past posts on the 'search' im sure you will realise your not alone in your worries!

Hope this helps, good luck!

Cheers! Kaff xx;)

dani Nov 11th 2002 10:28 pm

Hi Theresa,

I had my medicals in July and found out I had hypertension! Thank God that it was discovered as it is classed as the silent killer. I am now taking medication. It took a couple of months to get an acceptable reading and the medication was recorded on the form. I had my visa granted in October and am flying out in December. So all is not lost!
Hope this helps.

Dani

teresa.c Nov 12th 2002 9:19 am

Thank you everyone for calming me down!! Funnily enough I am a nurse.....I think thats why I was worried......knowing too much and all that!! Its nice to know the weight thing wasnt an issue aswell, both my hubby and I being a bit porky!!( i just had a baby, thats my excuse anyway!!)
Will let you all know how it goes!!

Cheers:)