Medicals...

Old May 4th 2007, 11:13 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicals...

Okayyyyy

Filling in the medicals forms and we realised that weneeded to contact our dr re: question 16 about any illness/ operation we've EVER had, the receptionist said we'd need to take the forms in fr the gp to fill in, he called us to say he'd have to charge us about £180 to fill in the 5 forms we need.......
So on top of the medical fee;s which come to about £560 we have to add on £180 we'd budgeted for the £560 but was not told we'd have to get info from our dr who'd charge us for this so not sure where we'll rummage the £180 from, has anyone else had this???

Jen
Old May 4th 2007, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of
Default Re: Medicals...

We had meds yesterday, when went for meds queried with Doc ref this question and he just filled in where neccessary. Didn't need our Doc to sign anything at all. I think they only need info if it's major. We only had broken arms, and children etc. Plus took letter from consultant re our youngest. Doc said that was adequate
Old May 4th 2007, 11:28 am
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of

We took two letters from our Med Centre to the medicals. One was a copy of a letter my consultant sent two years ago, discharging me from his care following a back operation. The other was a copy of Ann's latest smear results. Completed the rest of the Forms ourselves prior to medicals, and brought along any current medicines. Our local medical centre charged us NOTHING for printing off the above letters.

Your GP must be saving for a very special (and expensive) holiday. Or maybe he didn't understand the question!

Karl
Old May 4th 2007, 11:33 am
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of

If the GP fills in the form for you... every last runny nose may be mentioned!! Pick out anything major, then ask receptionist to print off any relevant letters which confirm condition has been resolved or is under control.

That way, you should get the back-up info you need for free or, at worst, have to pay a token 10 quid or so under the Data Protection Act.

Karl
Old May 4th 2007, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Karl & Ann
If the GP fills in the form for you... every last runny nose may be mentioned!! Pick out anything major, then ask receptionist to print off any relevant letters which confirm condition has been resolved or is under control.

That way, you should get the back-up info you need for free or, at worst, have to pay a token 10 quid or so under the Data Protection Act.

Karl
I agree with Karl and Ann.

The major things will be what they want, I just asked for a copy of the last letter which the consultant wrote to my GP. I also didn't get charged anything although I asked for about 5 letters in all.

£180 is outrageous. You could always wait and see what the panel doctor wants regarding any existing or previous conditions when you see them as there will be a waiting period of about a week-ten days for the blood results which will give you time should you need to get anything.
Old May 4th 2007, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

but the form says EVER????
We can't remember if we had any operations when we were little, I was seen at the hospital when I was young but my parents can't remember the dates.
I know you can say(bl**dy useless lol)

trouble is we thought if we don't include all the info we may have to re- do the medicals and then we'd have to find another £560?
Do feel really ripped off now, must have MUG stamped across our foreheads.

Jen
Old May 4th 2007, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JenJen
We can't remember if we had any operations when we were little, I was seen at the hospital when I was young but my parents can't remember the dates.

trouble is we thought if we don't include all the info we may have to re- do the medicals and then we'd have to find another £560?

Jen
Why don't you call and speak to the actual panel doctor in advance of the appointment and ask them what they want you to bring in relation to any illnesses you have/had. This is what I did. If they need any info from your GP at least you will know what you need to get.

I don't think that things you can't remember would be relevant anyway unless they have a lasting effect on your life now?

Even if you don't include everything you need with you you won't be asked to retake the medicals just to submit any additional information requested.
Old May 4th 2007, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Jen

They want to know if you are going to be a burden on the health service. It doesn't matter if you can't remember dates, just put down whatever you can remember. If they need anything from your GP, the panel doctor can request it direct from your GP and it won't cost you anything.

The only thing we were asked for is the youngests red book and even though I have a thyroid problem, they didn't ask for any more details on it all they needed was what medication I was on and how much I took per day.
Old May 4th 2007, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Watty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to all

Hi

we did meds in Manchester last September and we didnt take the forms to the GP and it didnt come up during meds. I disclosed a medical condition and provided a letter from my hospital consultant which was suffice and brought current optical prescription. OH didnt have anything.

I personally wouldnt do the GP thing, especially at that price

Good luck
Old May 4th 2007, 2:10 pm
Pasta Fari

Jen
Yes, the Form may say ever, but I believe it's reasonable to apply some common sense. I've had a few minor ops to remove some harmless cysts. I didn't write these on the Forms as my health did not/does not/will not suffer as a result of them, but mentioned them to the panel doctor at the medical. He didn't bother making any note of them.

I mentioned my bad back on the Forms, and took a copy of my discharge letter along, because it was a serious condition which affects the sort of work I can do. Fortunately it does not affect my ability to do my MODL/136 occupation. Hence I've also been honest about it, and won't be caught out later for not declaring it.

Also, we declared a slight knee problem for Ann, and mild hayfever for one of our daughters. No problem at the medical as far as these are concerned.

We also failed to write on the Forms that Ann had to go into hospital twice - to give birth!! No problem - panel doctor just made a note himself.

Don't worry about every last tiny detail or illness. If it's serious - mention it, otherwise failure to do so could scupper your chances later. Provide copies of letters to show anything serious has been sorted, or is being managed, or is not expected to re-occur etc.

If you can't provide any documentary reassurances then, unless it's something which will involve a major drain on Australian health service etc, chances are you won't be turned down - although you may have to sign a health undertaking.

Don't fret! It'll send your BP up...

Karl
Old May 4th 2007, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

Lol thanks

I do flap and myhusband was on panic express but will get him to sort it out with the gp.

thanks again
Old May 4th 2007, 3:27 pm
LIVING THE DREAM!!!!!!!!!

Cameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Clan has a reputation beyond repute

Dont worry, my sons have both had operations over the past few years and I panicked when I couldn't remember dates. So I phoned my doctors surgery and as I could give lots of info about the ops, dobs, etc the receptionist was able to confirm dates over the phone for me.