Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medical/travel ionsurance for that final journey.

Medical/travel ionsurance for that final journey.

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 7:46 pm
NZ or Bust!

Sazzle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical/travel insurance for that final journey.

My understanding is that normal travel insurance is a problem for us migrants. I want us to be insured for travel, baggage and medical issues for the journey to NZ and for say the first 24 hours there.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Sazzle; Jun 23rd 2004 at 7:50 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 10:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical/travel insurance for that final journey.

Originally posted by Sazzle
My understanding is that normal travel insurance is a problem for us migrants. I want us to be insured for travel, baggage and medical issues for the journey to NZ and for say the first 24 hours there.

Any ideas?

I think this came up a few weeks ago, try a search, sorry can't remember who started it.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Sazzle

Any ideas?
Ive just taken out cover with insureandgo. flights are now protected in case we have to cancel and cover is for 3 days from the day we travel. 2 adults 2 children £38
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 10:45 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's one
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...avel+insurance
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Originally posted by andy thomas
Ive just taken out cover with insureandgo. flights are now protected in case we have to cancel and cover is for 3 days from the day we travel. 2 adults 2 children £38

http://www.insureandgo.com/
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 10:48 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by andy thomas

we used them too Andy u can pick how many days you insure yourself for.....we went 6 days and is costing £45 for 2 adults the 2 kids are free

www.insureandgo.com
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default medical insurance

I am not too sure about New Zealand, since it's now over 30 years since I worked in Auckland, but I know I was covered by their National Health Scheme as soon as I touched down on the plane, as an immigrant.
I know there's a two-way reciprocal agreement between Australia's "Medicare" Scheme, offering free public hospital treatment and cheap GP doctor consultations, and the UK's National Health Scheme, even covering tourists and young backpackers on working visa holidays.
Just check to see if NZ still has a National Health Scheme. I'm pretty sure that as an immigrant from Britain or Australia, you'd be coverec once you land.
You may just need travel insurance for flights and/or luggage loss. The insurers will inevitably try to sell you a whole "package" including medical/hospital insurance which you won't need if flying direct via Australia to New Zealand.
Just ask yourself one thing. Do you have private health insurance at the moment, in Britain? If not, why would you need it in New Zealand, or in transit thro' Australia where you'd be covered anyway, just as in Britain?
You will need every penny to set up shop once you arrive. There are 101 little things (and not so little!) like TVs, furniture and fridges to buy for your new house and you may well kick yourselves later for spending 40 quid ($100) when you didn't need to.
Wise words of an old fool!
Old Jun 24th 2004, 6:27 am
NZ or Bust!

Sazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone

YEp, we would be covered by the NZ health system. no problemos.

But what was our main worry was some caring soul stealing our bag at, say, the airport.

The contents of our baggage has to keep us going till the container arrives. Dont want it to be any harder than it needs to be.