Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Medical Thread

The Medical Thread

Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:43 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up The Medical Thread

There are lots of threads for applications, visa categories and TRA so I thought I would start a dedicated thread to medicals, where to have them in your area and how you found the examination and any problems that may or may not have arisen from them.

I reckon its a stressful last part of the journey and myself am having nightmares as to what/if they find anything wrong with me

So I feel a thread to support those going through the same would be good.

I shall start, we have our meds tomorrow at Harley Street, its £40 each for the Xray and £130 for the meds.

We shall have to pay extra for the Hep B test as I have a small tattoo on my arm, although I am Hep B vaccinated and always have been.

I went to the panel doctor to book appointment and first impressions are, that they are really friendly and informal. The Xrays are done a few doors down about 20 mins prior to your medical, so you have them to give to the doctor.

I will let you know how we found it when its done.

Has anyone else got anything to add regarding medicals?
Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:08 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Medical Thread

I have lost my appetite as im so nervous.

A good thing (I think)
Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
There are lots of threads for applications, visa categories and TRA so I thought I would start a dedicated thread to medicals, where to have them in your area and how you found the examination and any problems that may or may not have arisen from them.

I reckon its a stressful last part of the journey and myself am having nightmares as to what/if they find anything wrong with me

I shall start, we have our meds tomorrow at Harley Street, its £40 each for the Xray and £130 for the meds.

We shall have to pay extra for the Hep B test as I have a small tattoo on my arm, although I am Hep B vaccinated and always have been.

I went to the panel doctor to book appointment and first impressions are, that they are really friendly and informal. The Xrays are done a few doors down about 20 mins prior to your medical, so you have them to give to the doctor.

Hi PP
We have our medicals and x-rays booked for 28th April. £58 each for xrays then just up the road for our medicals. £110 each for meds, kids are £80 each and bloods are £30 each. I will have to probably pay extra for the Hep B test as I also have two tattoos. These charges are with a panel doctor in Newcastle Upon Tyne. Will let everyone know what its like when we have been.
Lynne x

PS Good luck PP with tomorrow!!!
Old Apr 17th 2006, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

zermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud of

From memory I'm pretty sure Harley St was good. Hubbie went there for his NZ meds and I think it was pretty straight forward and no hassles. I think he may have had to do a little excersise (please don't quote me on that though). BUt anyway he whizzed in there in between jobs and he was in and out in good time and I think he found parking close by (all metered with parking vultures lurking in cafes nearby of course). Good luck and I'm sure everything will be fine! Just don't comment like I did that oh my weight is a little high when I jumped on the scales. Then I suffered repetitive questions about so how long have you been putting weight on for (i'm not really that big honest!). I was so annoyed as I told him the first time it was too much chocolate cake when I was first pregnant, how many times does the guy want to know the same thing! Anyway this doctor was in NZ so nothing to worry about over there and by the way we passed our meds so that was ok (glad the chocolate cake didn't hold us back!)
Old Apr 17th 2006, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

We have just returned from a holiday in Oz. There seem to be a few options open to us workwise and are filing our skills assessment now.

What I need to know is:

Is there anywhere in the Southampton Area that we can get our medicals done?

How much are they?

Is it worth getting them done now rather than waiting?

Thanks

Debs
Old Apr 17th 2006, 1:05 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woody1cruiser
We have just returned from a holiday in Oz. There seem to be a few options open to us workwise and are filing our skills assessment now.

What I need to know is:

How much are they?

Thanks

Debs
Hi Debs

We had our medicals and x-rays done in Southampton last year. The prices might have gone up since then but I think this is what we paid....

We had the chest x-rays done at the Chalybeate Bupa hospital and took these along to the GP afterwards. The x-rays cost £61.50 each.

We had the medicals done at the Walnut Tree Surgery, an Aussie called Dr Goodall and he kept us so entertained talking about his experiences in Perth and Tasmania we almost forgot we were having a medical exam. A really nice guy. The adults price was £140 each but my 10 year old was cheaper (I can't remember how much)

It was all very quick and we all went in together. Blood pressure, height, weight, sight and urine tests, had our chests listened to and blood tests. No boob grope or anything remotely embarrassing. Clothes left on.

I think other places are sometimes a bit cheaper, but I was very happy to go here as he'd been recommended to me and as I suffer from white coat syndrome I wanted to feel as relaxed as possible. He told me straight after the blood pressure reading was fine which put my mind at rest.

We had to book several weeks in advance though as he was very booked up.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 1:06 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woody1cruiser

What I need to know is:

How much are they?

Thanks

Debs
Hi Debs,

Here's the list of panel doctors for the UK

http://www.australia.org.uk/vti/FORM...el_Doctors.pdf

There is a panel doctor in Southampton.

Costs to vary a bit. You'll have to give them a call and find out.

Here's a few threads that might have some info for you:-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...or+southampton

Good luck.

D D

Last edited by DollyDaydream; Apr 17th 2006 at 1:12 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 1:06 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Stop stressing Sam........you WILL be fine
Old Apr 17th 2006, 2:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all - and especially Sam!
Hope you appreciate my reasons for shunting this into Lifestyle instead of Immigration.

Its just this - medical stuff can sometimes get very personal, and many posters will not realise that while Lifestyle threads are part of the forum, Immigration stuff goes through Usenet and is far more widely available and searchable. DIMA staff do read these forums - esp the Immigration one.
Having said that - if you have a delicate medical issue of any kind, be careful before posting it ANYWHERE on here. Many people's posts can be matchbed to their files without too much of a problem.

And now, back to the medicals. For my five cents worth, I worked myself into a real stew as I do not like doctors. medicals or anything related to them. But I came out smiling, mind at ease, after a good chat, lots of reassurance, oh - and he wanted the website address as well
Please don't stress, its easier than you think.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 2:29 pm
We're here and it's fab

Mark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Hi Debs,

Here's the list of panel doctors for the UK

http://www.australia.org.uk/vti/FORM...el_Doctors.pdf

There is a panel doctor in Southampton.

Costs to vary a bit. You'll have to give them a call and find out.

Here's a few threads that might have some info for you:-

Good luck.

D D
Hi

I noticed my local panel doctor is Middlesbrough. Do I organise the medicals myself or do I wait until I am prompted? Have just received a positive from Vetassess and am looking to send my 139 Visa in the next week.

Ali X
Old Apr 17th 2006, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of

Hi,we are going for meds at Carlisle tomorrow!!!!!!Just trying to take it easy today,Iam pretty sure we will be fine,got xrays and meds for £280 total for 2 of us,cheers all the best to everyone who has got them soon,Dave&Claire
Old Apr 17th 2006, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hi all - and especially Sam!
Hope you appreciate my reasons for shunting this into Lifestyle instead of Immigration.

Its just this - medical stuff can sometimes get very personal, and many posters will not realise that while Lifestyle threads are part of the forum, Immigration stuff goes through Usenet and is far more widely available and searchable. DIMA staff do read these forums - esp the Immigration one.
Having said that - if you have a delicate medical issue of any kind, be careful before posting it ANYWHERE on here. Many people's posts can be matchbed to their files without too much of a problem.

And now, back to the medicals. For my five cents worth, I worked myself into a real stew as I do not like doctors. medicals or anything related to them. But I came out smiling, mind at ease, after a good chat, lots of reassurance, oh - and he wanted the website address as well
Please don't stress, its easier than you think.
I shall be happier when its done.

I have excellent lung capacity and do power walking/keep fit now but I suppose there is so much riding on this.

Filled in my forms this arvo, even that felt better.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 3:03 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark & Ali
Hi

I noticed my local panel doctor is Middlesbrough. Do I organise the medicals myself or do I wait until I am prompted? Have just received a positive from Vetassess and am looking to send my 139 Visa in the next week.

Ali X
If it were me, I would probably wait for a couple of months. At least until your application has been received and you have a file number to attach to your meds.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by dotnron
If it were me, I would probably wait for a couple of months. At least until your application has been received and you have a file number to attach to your meds.

Is that the reference number in your acknowledgement that you use for your meds?
Old Apr 17th 2006, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Is that the reference number in your acknowledgement that you use for your meds?
Yes, it's usually CLF/xxxxx or something like that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.