Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medical records etc - what to bring?

Medical records etc - what to bring?

Old Aug 6th 2006, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Ann & Paul is a jewel in the roughAnn & Paul is a jewel in the roughAnn & Paul is a jewel in the roughAnn & Paul is a jewel in the roughAnn & Paul is a jewel in the rough
Default Medical records etc - what to bring?

Can anyone clarify for me what medical records etc we need to bring with us?

I have asked our dentist and have been told that they don't transfer their records so no go there. We have summaries from our GP, which we requested when we had our medicals. Are these enough or are we meant to get our full medical records before we leave? Also Hospital records, what happens with these? We have our last optician's prescriptions so presume that will be okay.

Also what will the schools want to see for Caroline? I have her most recent end of year report and we have her work for the past year. Do I need to get a letter or anything else from her school?

Hope someone can help, brain is going into melt down now!

Cheers

Ann
Old Aug 6th 2006, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

sunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant future
Default Re: Medical records etc - what to bring?

the medical summaries from the GP should do you fine. If you have any prescription medication bring a copy of your prescrition. This was discussed no so long back and that seemed to be the general opinion.
As for schools, ours are at a private school, they wanted copies of most recent reports, and also a medical from the GP which we got sorted before we left the UK.Not sure what is requested by the State schools.
Maybe e-mail a couple of schools in the area where you are thinking of settling and ask for advice?
Old Aug 6th 2006, 11:13 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ann & Paul
Can anyone clarify for me what medical records etc we need to bring with us?

I have asked our dentist and have been told that they don't transfer their records so no go there. We have summaries from our GP, which we requested when we had our medicals. Are these enough or are we meant to get our full medical records before we leave? Also Hospital records, what happens with these? We have our last optician's prescriptions so presume that will be okay.

Also what will the schools want to see for Caroline? I have her most recent end of year report and we have her work for the past year. Do I need to get a letter or anything else from her school?

Hope someone can help, brain is going into melt down now!

Cheers

Ann
Strictly speaking, althogugh you have a right to see your medical records in the UK and to have copies made of them (for a fee!), the records remain the property of the NHS and will be retained in the UK. If you've had any major illnesses/operations/tests/screenings done and have hard copy results/reports, I would imagine they would be worth bringing. Dental records are retained by your dentist - each dentist starts a new one. We brought absolutely no records at all - with the exception of my last spectacle prescription.

As far as your daughter is concerned, you don't say how old she is. If you have a copy of the *red book* listing her developmental checks and immunisation record, they will make a note of the details of the latter. Schools are only really interested in children under 7 so that they can get them onto the immunisation register. If she's over 7, they won't be that bothered. Former school reports would probably be well received, although I only gave my dd's school her reports last week and she's been there nearly a year!

HTH.

Sue
Old Aug 6th 2006, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't bring anything from school or doctor and have been just fine without it. If you need to pay for it then save your money for important stuff when you get here

I did bring my 6 year olds red book though, but haven't been asked for it
Old Aug 7th 2006, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Ann & Paul is a jewel in the roughAnn & Paul is a jewel in the roughAnn & Paul is a jewel in the roughAnn & Paul is a jewel in the roughAnn & Paul is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that guys, one less thing for me to try and organise!

Ann
Old Aug 7th 2006, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Hi
Not been asked for anything here except for kids red books to transfer immunisations over to their register here. Save your money!!!