Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medical Records: Do we need to take them?

Medical Records: Do we need to take them?

Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about
Default Medical Records: Do we need to take them?

Just wondering what to do with our UK medical records.

Do we need to take them with us or just leave them here

Bill
Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of
Default Re: Medical Records: Do we need to take them?

Were planing to take ours as its a case of you never no, mind you i think we have to pay for them. Someone told me that in oz you can not see your med records where in the uk you can. Not to sure how true but thats what i was told and i think it cost you $85 to see your doc but you get some back ( read this on a thread recently )
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:02 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BillnLinz

Bill

your medical records have to remain the property of the NHS as do any dental records.....

but our doctor was happy to photocopy them for us free of charge..... having read the other posts in previous threads im smilin as there are 7 of us in our family as they have had to pay.

but to be honest....we haven needed them.... and we have been to see the doc several times since oct when we arrived.

boomie
x
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Boomie
your medical records have to remain the property of the NHS as do any dental records.....

but our doctor was happy to photocopy them for us free of charge..... having read the other posts in previous threads im smilin as there are 7 of us in our family as they have had to pay.

but to be honest....we haven needed them.... and we have been to see the doc several times since oct when we arrived.

boomie
x

We never took ours and have never needed them here. To be honest I doubt a dr here would have the time to look through them. Unless you have ongoing complicated complaints I would not bother.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

storerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of light

I intend to get mine if it is free or cheap. However as I have no medical issues I am not that bothered. I have got a vaccinations cert, so no worries.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Under the Data Protection Act you may have a copy of your records if you wish, though you may have to pay.
Once in Oz, unless you can find a bulk-billing GP you will have to pay part of the cost, but this varies from practice to practice, and even depends on the time of day. The place I use charges anything from $40 to $90, and you can then claim part back from Medicare. Saw the Eye Doctor this week, cost me $71, and I will be getting $30 back, as a rough guide.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 11:23 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by BillnLinz

Bill

Short answer is, no you don't need them.

Slightly longer answer is, that you may want to bring them with you if there is an on-going or previously complicated condition that may require medical notes to treat efficiently/effectively.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Parker is on a distinguished road

The advice I was given by the doctor is:

If you have children its a good idea to get the notes to take. Childcare centres and schools want to see immunisation histories and docs like a record of childhood illnesses.
If you have had a baby and think you will have another, try and get the records of your pregnancy and birth so the doc will have the case history to look at.
If you have asthma or anything that is an on going condition take them
If you have anything that is complicated condition take them
If you have had any kind of jabs, allergies etc take them

If its pages of colds and you've never had anything like a TB shot then wouldn't bother. Buts its rare for this to be the case, most people have had immunisations for example.

The advice is that for a small fee (compared to what you are spending in total for your move) its worth taking them.

Once you are in a situation where the doc needs to know something and you can't remember its a bit late.