British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Medical records - Can you transfer them to Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/medical-records-can-you-transfer-them-oz-279744/)

gunnercaz Jan 24th 2005 10:23 pm

Medical records - Can you transfer them to Oz

Tried asking this at my local docs(well my mum asked on my behalf ;)) and he said that the my medical records could not be moved away...they are to be kept on site and if I do not attend after 7 years, they get destroyed??
Anybody transferred their details across or got the doctor to do some sort of print out of your details to take over there?

Hels Jan 24th 2005 10:35 pm

Re: Medical records - Can you transfer them to Oz

Originally Posted by gunnercaz
Tried asking this at my local docs(well my mum asked on my behalf ;)) and he said that the my medical records could not be moved away...they are to be kept on site and if I do not attend after 7 years, they get destroyed??
Anybody transferred their details across or got the doctor to do some sort of print out of your details to take over there?

My Hubby got our Doc in UK to do a copy of his records. Didnt cost us a penny, however we havent had to use them yet.

Hels

mlbonner Jan 24th 2005 10:45 pm

Hi

I didn't bring any details, unless you have a particular condition that requires monitoring and history I don't believe you need to. Certainly I haven't been asked for them. Doc's have to give you a copy of your records I believe if you require them, they are able to charge upto a nominal amount. This was quite a hot topic middle of last year, so if you do a search you might come up with some more info :)

renth Jan 24th 2005 11:03 pm

As the others have said, don't waste your time. You don't need them

teagg Jan 24th 2005 11:57 pm

As others have mentioned above, we haven't yet had to use them, but I wrote to the practice manager and asked for a copy of our records as we were moving abroad. I can't remember if I provided a SSAE or whether I said I was happy to go in personally and pick them up... in the end I did pick them up - and all three sets (DD DH and mine) were in separate sealed envelopes!
Again, we had no charge. However, the list in the surgery did indicate that there could be a charge.

Whilst we haven't needed them yet, and don't (I think!) have any dodgy medical aspects (well we wouldn't really be here if we did have!!), it struck me as being risk-averse to take copies....

HTH

pmntchambers Jan 25th 2005 6:29 am

Prior to leaving UK in November 2004, I asked our doctor's practice for our medical records. They said that the notes were their property but would photocopy them and send them on for a charge of 25 pounds. Once we arrived in Darwin the practice manager contacted us and said that the medical records had to be sent to a specific doctor. We are still awaiting for the named doctor to receive them.

Caroline G Jan 25th 2005 8:42 am

This kind of thing would fall under the DPA (Data Protection Act)

You should be able to get copies of ANY information held (including that held on computer) about yourself for a 'reasonable charge'. Whoever you are requesting this info from has to comply within a certain time frame too.

If you get no joy you can complain to the regulatory body.

asfry Jan 25th 2005 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Caroline G
This kind of thing would fall under the DPA (Data Protection Act)

You should be able to get copies of ANY information held (including that held on computer) about yourself for a 'reasonable charge'. Whoever you are requesting this info from has to comply within a certain time frame too.

If you get no joy you can complain to the regulatory body.

I think the time frame might be 40 days for medical records. I know that when I applied for my credit history from Experian and Equifax they advised that they had to supply the information within 7 days of receiving my request for them. This was something to with Data Protection Act in regards to organisations holding information about you, and you having the right to view/a copy of this information.

asfry Jan 25th 2005 9:57 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by asfry
I think the time frame might be 7 days. I know that when I applied for my credit history from Experian and Equifax they advised that they had to supply the information within 7 days of receiving my request for them. This was something to with Data Protection Act in regards to organisations holding information about you, and you having the right to view/a copy of this information.

Aww, bless the good ol BBC

Have a look at the attatched file.

It tells you all about how to get your medical records.

"The advantage of applying in writing is that you are entitled by law to receive a response no later than 40 days after your application was received. "

It goes on to tell you what to do if you have been denied access aswell.

Muzzman Jan 26th 2005 11:27 am

Hi, we recently registered with a GP for the first time since arriving in August. I asked if they would request medical records from the UK and the GP said no. She presumes that you wouldn't be allowed to migrate with major health problems.
Karen

Jimclevs Jan 26th 2005 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Muzzman
Hi, we recently registered with a GP for the first time since arriving in August. I asked if they would request medical records from the UK and the GP said no. She presumes that you wouldn't be allowed to migrate with major health problems.
Karen

Hello

If you have an ongoing condition for which you are taking medication (and which, presumably, you declared on your visa application) you should, I would have thought, be able to get an "introductory" letter from your GP stating the situation so that you can continue to receive this medication in Australia.

As others have said - there should be no need to take your general notes from your GP - even if they are prepared to release them to you (at a price) - no matter what the Data Protection Act might say.

Regards

Jim