Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medical records....

Medical records....

Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:48 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medical records....

What happens to your medical records when you emigrate? do you need to take them with you? C x
Old Sep 1st 2006, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical records....

Originally Posted by shiels
What happens to your medical records when you emigrate? do you need to take them with you? C x

No, your local health authority archives them.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

If you have young children it's handy to bring their "red books" with all their immunisation records, as that's a big thing here. The time scale for injections is different, so it helps to have all the UK dates/details, so you can get them on the Oz Immunisation Register.
If their injections are not up to date, if affect your child benefit & kindys are very keen that new kids are in line with the Aussie immunisations.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

It's best to ask your doctor to give you a copy of your records to bring here. Some will do this for free, some will charge.

Plenty of posts about this with more details

:-)

Alex
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woogle
If their injections are not up to date, if affect your child benefit & kindys are very keen that new kids are in line with the Aussie immunisations.
Not if you are registered as a consciencious (sp?) objector.

I am pro-immunisation, but you should be aware that there is an alternative and that it is not compulsorary to have immunisations.

I've just tried to do a search, but can't find the exact thread that I was looking for, which gives the details as to how to do this.

**** Pls note I am NOT suggesting avoidance of vaccinations.....each to their own.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 3:55 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Not if you are registered as a consciencious (sp?) objector.

I am pro-immunisation, but you should be aware that there is an alternative and that it is not compulsorary to have immunisations.

I've just tried to do a search, but can't find the exact thread that I was looking for, which gives the details as to how to do this.

**** Pls note I am NOT suggesting avoidance of vaccinations.....each to their own.
Children are 13 and 10 and although the eldest, my son, is approaching the age when he should recieve the TB jab, the Uk are no longer giving it to children who are not decended from other countries, so there is no longer an option with this particular vaccine...... C x
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 6:03 pm
bromley to brisbane

ClareBear is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by shiels
Hiya
We paid to have copies of ours made (photocopies, 10p a page) as our little one has a colourful health record and we didn't want any tests to be repeated unnecessarily. Otherwise your GP here will be obliged to hang on to them indefinitely, I think.
Clare x
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ClareBear
........ GP here will be obliged to hang on to them indefinitely, I think.
Clare x
Incorrect.

GP returns them to the local Strategic/Local Health Authority (or whichever name they choose to go by). GP Has NO obligation to maintain the records indefinitely.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 12:23 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

My GP told me he would mark out records as inactive once we left, and they would get archived. There is a retention requirement for records, so they wont be destroyed for a good number of years.

He gave me the copies of our records. Not particularly usefull for Dan, as he has only had run of the mill problems, good for Harrys immunisation record, and also good for me so the docs here have my maternity history when we try for more kiddies