Wikiposts

Medical Records

Old Aug 6th 2004, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

little miss c is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bundy
Posted this the other day....

Don't think there are any rules on this, but the more you take, the better. Immunisation records would certainly be a good place to start. If any of you are currently on any medication or receiving any treatment, having your notes will ease the transfer of care when you're in Oz.

You have a couple of options for obtaining your notes:

Firstly, your GP has to provide copies if you ask, but you will have to pay. I used to work in a doctors surgery and believe me, photocopy someone's notes take forever and it hard work, hence the payment!

Secondly, you can ask your GP (usually by putting something in writing to the Practice Manager) for a simple print out of your on-screen record. This will list medications, dates of treatment, dates of immunisation, height, weight, BP etc etc. Basic medical summary in effect and enough for most doctors to get a good idea of your medical history.

If you have had hospital treatment, you can also get hold of your hospital notes by applying to your local health authority.

Hope that helps!

Thanks everyone, i will find out how much it cost, especially as there are four in the family
:scared:
Old Aug 6th 2004, 1:27 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

I have just spoken to a very nice man at west sussex health authority and he has given me a very usefull piece of information.

The maximum charge any different authority can charge for copies of your medical notes is £50

The act to quote is
Data protection act 1998, section 7, fees and misc provisions reg 2001.
Old Aug 6th 2004, 1:29 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

And I just found this - could help!

http://www.patients-association.com/...calrecords.pdf
Old Aug 6th 2004, 2:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Stand up for your rights, you are entitled to a copy of the records.

A small word of advice - when you get the records, check they all relate to you! I had a hospital discharge form for a totally different person in mine - she was aged 27 , having her tonsils removed.......I was aged 6 at the time! I also had the results of a biopsy my mum had done when I was 14 - when I told her she said there was loads of trouble at the time as the hospital said they'd sent the results, but the surgery couldn't find them. No wonder, they'd been filed in the wrong notes.
Old Aug 6th 2004, 5:29 am
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future
Default Re: Medical Records

Originally posted by little miss c
Do I have to get our medical records from our GP to take to Aus when we go?
Things I need to do keep popping up in my head
trying not to panic:scared:

Hi we are only taking copies of our 6 year old daughters medical notes.
£30.00 we were charged and that was after we had to write in to the practise manager who then authorised it......

Leanne
Old Aug 6th 2004, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Hi
I had the same problem ,until i told them to go and look up the policy on Data protection.You can have your records and if you have the info held on computer there is a maximum charge of £10 per person .If however you you want the info that has not been inputted they can charge more.My computer printout cost me £18.50 for a family of four.
Get arsey with them ,or assertive
donna
Old Aug 8th 2004, 12:49 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Medical Records

This one keeps coming up time and time again.

You don't need to bring your medical records, they are not needed, they are not wanted. Doctors in Australia don't have registers of patients with all the accompanying paperwork like in the UK.

You want to go and see the doctor, just pick one you like the sound of and make an appointment.

Kids immunisation records, yes, bring those, they are important but don't waste your time arguing about your UK medical records.
Old Aug 8th 2004, 4:58 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by renth
This one keeps coming up time and time again.

You don't need to bring your medical records, they are not needed, they are not wanted. Doctors in Australia don't have registers of patients with all the accompanying paperwork like in the UK.

You want to go and see the doctor, just pick one you like the sound of and make an appointment.

Kids immunisation records, yes, bring those, they are important but don't waste your time arguing about your UK medical records.
I was all set to type the same thing. So I'll just second the above. Our Doctor wasn't interested in seeing any history, just the Immunisation Records were needed for school children.

When we were living in Sydney, we would go to one of 4 local Doctors, so even if they kept records, each would only have 25% of the total !!

Up here in QLD we are only using one Doctor, and the only record they seem to keep, is a record of Prescriptions issued.

Have any Migrants already here, actually got their new Doctors to read any old Medical Notes ?

Old Aug 8th 2004, 5:01 pm
owieb

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Have any Migrants already here, actually got their new Doctors to read any old Medical Notes ?
Nope, they're not interested from what I can gather. We didn't bring any with us, but none of the doctors we have visited have ever asked about them.

Old Aug 8th 2004, 8:43 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owieb
Nope, they're not interested from what I can gather. We didn't bring any with us, but none of the doctors we have visited have ever asked about them.
But surely if you have an existing medical condition, they'll need to know what treatment you've had/are having?

Couldn't bear the thought of having to start from scratch with all my thyroid testing, so I'll be taking my notes
Old Aug 8th 2004, 11:13 pm
owieb

Originally Posted by bundy
But surely if you have an existing medical condition, they'll need to know what treatment you've had/are having?

Couldn't bear the thought of having to start from scratch with all my thyroid testing, so I'll be taking my notes
Maybe we are just super healthy!

I guess if you do have something that is important then take it with you, but i wouldn't bother paying to have an entire medical history photocopied.

Be interesting to see if people who have existing conditions have taken medical records with them.

Last edited by owieb; Aug 8th 2004 at 11:15 pm.

Old Aug 8th 2004, 11:16 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just wondering that as I have asthma and need fairly regular medication.

Do I just need some sort of letter from the GP detailing the medication I need?
Old Aug 8th 2004, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Got to agree.
The doctor may not want a whole folder full of your medical history but a printout of recent treatment may well help if you have a recurring problem. The more info the doctor has the easier the diagnosis.

A previous posting referred to wrong info ie someone elses medical info mixed in with yours.
When my daughter emigrated to Aus she asked us, after a couple of years if we could send her medical printout from our doctor's surgery. We asked for it on her behalf, with a signed letter from her. They printed it out, we left it in the sealed envelope and posted it to our daughter. When it arrived in Aus it was a full medical history of my wife's!!!
Potentially embarrassing to say the least.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

I think I'd go for the printout as its sometimes hard to remember the dates etc of when and how we've had things done. Wouldn't this be useful for us when completed insurance or medical cover forms?

The entire 'note taking' thing seems to make those taking them panic at the thought of someone wanting to read them. Its like its a big secret and its about you!

Tracey