Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medical question

Medical question

Old Mar 29th 2007, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

chatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura aboutchatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura aboutchatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura about
Default Medical question

Hi
I had thyroid cancer diagnosed in 1991. I'm not worried about this for the medical as I've had no problems since total thyroidectomy, and my life is not affected in the least by this. Even insurance companies don't want to load policies anymore, so I don't expect any problems at medical. (am I being naive!!!!!).
Anyway, my problem is getting consultants letter about condition, treatment etc.

I had the surgery and initial treatment done at a military hospital that is now part of NHS. I then moved to Cambridge, so Addenbrookes should have copies of previous treatments and their own records. I then moved to York, so same scenario (Ithink I move too much!). I can't remember name of consultant at York, so not sure how to request information.

Finally, I moved to Ireland. Medical records have gone to Health Authority as I'm no longer a British resident. So can't requset info from GP.

Irish GP's do not request medical records (great, eh?), they rely on what the patient tells them.

What I want to know is can I get a colleague (surgical consultant) who knows my full history (what I've told him) and is now treating my sister for the same (unconfirmed as yet) condition?

I've never seen him professionally. Maybe that's what I should do so it's all on paper.

Any advice.

Moira
Old Mar 30th 2007, 7:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical question

How can he sign a medical report for a condition he didn't treat? He's never even seen you as a patient. Any doctor I've worked for in 20 years of healthcare would tell you (rightly so) that they will not do it.

If you had surgery done you can request your records from the hospital where the surgery was performed.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

chatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura aboutchatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura aboutchatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Dorothy
How can he sign a medical report for a condition he didn't treat? He's never even seen you as a patient. Any doctor I've worked for in 20 years of healthcare would tell you (rightly so) that they will not do it.

If you had surgery done you can request your records from the hospital where the surgery was performed.
OK, so stupid idea- (bit under the weather- ie alcohol- when I posted).
Just worried about getting info. I'll try writing to hospital in York. They should be able to help
Moira
Old Mar 31st 2007, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

emmakc1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you need them, you can get a complete copy of your notes. give the medical records department at the hospital a call. The fee is usually £50. Wait to see what the doctors says though before you request them as you might not need to.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by emmakc1977
If you need them, you can get a complete copy of your notes. give the medical records department at the hospital a call. The fee is usually £50. Wait to see what the doctors says though before you request them as you might not need to.
Thanks, emmakc1977.

I just assumed that I would need a consultant's notes or a letter because it's a pre-existing medical condition and the Australian government need to know that I'm not going to cost them any money.
Moira