Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

medical question

medical question

Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:02 pm
JONES FAMILY

HOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to all
Default medical question

hi can anyone help
we have just had our meds done and the doctor had to tick box b on form 26 due to the fact that the xray showed i had increased cardiothoracic rate 16/31 can anyone tell me what this means and will it mean i have to go for further tests. the doctor said not to worry as everything else is ok but obviously i am going to worry

thanks in advance

sarah
Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:21 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: medical question

Originally Posted by HOPPITY
hi can anyone help
we have just had our meds done and the doctor had to tick box b on form 26 due to the fact that the xray showed i had increased cardiothoracic rate 16/31 can anyone tell me what this means and will it mean i have to go for further tests. the doctor said not to worry as everything else is ok but obviously i am going to worry

thanks in advance

sarah
When the medicals get to the LCU in Sydney, becuase you are B-category, one of their doctors is going to look at the x-ray. S/he may decide:

1. You need to have further tests done in the UK before the visa application can proceed.

or 2. They give you the visa, but you need to go and see one of their doctors for further tests when you arrive in Oz. (This often also means they only give you 6 months to validate the visa from the time you did the medicals or did the police checks whichever one was earlier.)

or 3. The Sydney doctor disagrees with the UK doctor and decides there is nothing wrong with your chest x-ray and the visa is granted without any conditions.

Bear in mind that the UK doctor has saod "don't worry". And he hasn't sent you off to your GP for further tests. In other words, although your thoractic ratio is abnormal, the panel doctor must think it's a very small abnormality or he would have sent you off to your GP pronto.

You could look for a poster on here called "ozziedoc". She is training to be a doctor. She may be able to tell you more what a ratio of 16/31 (0.52) means exactly. Or phone your GP for an explanation.

Gina
Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:25 pm
JONES FAMILY

HOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GinaUK
When the medicals get to the LCU in Sydney, becuase you are B-category, one of their doctors is going to look at the x-ray. S/he may decide:

1. You need to have further tests done in the UK before the visa application can proceed.

or 2. They give you the visa, but you need to go and see one of their doctors for further tests when you arrive in Oz. (This often also means they only give you 6 months to validate the visa from the time you did the medicals or did the police checks whichever one was earlier.)

or 3. The Sydney doctor disagrees with the UK doctor and decides there is nothing wrong with your chest x-ray and the visa is granted without any conditions.

Bear in mind that the UK doctor has saod "don't worry". And he hasn't sent you off to your GP for further tests. In other words, although your thoractic ratio is abnormal, the panel doctor must think it's a very small abnormality or he would have sent you off to your GP pronto.

You could look for a poster on here called "ozziedoc". She is training to be a doctor. She may be able to tell you more what a ratio of 16/31 (0.52) means exactly. Or phone your GP for an explanation.

Gina
Hi Gina
thankyou for your quick response i really do appriciate it. I will look for ozziedoc and ask her if she can let me know what this means

thanks again Gina

Sarah
Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gina
thankyou for your quick response i really do appriciate it. I will look for ozziedoc and ask her if she can let me know what this means

thanks again Gina

Sarah
Hi sarah

If you are worried, then you should phone the Doctor that did the exam or your GP, to explain to you in laymans terms what your condition means to you.

I wouldnt worry to much about it. If the Doctor didnt send you straight to your GP or the nearest A&E, you will be okay.
It's normal for the mind to calculate (usually) all the worst case scenarios. Most of the time, you do more harm to yourself worrying than the source of the worry is doing to you!

As far as your visa goes, I'm sure evryone will tell you on this site that they are not looking for supermen or women. Many people have chronic ailments and have no worries with the visa. Many people are grossly overweight and get in: with all the risks that go alongwith obesity.

I would first of all phone your GP and they will alay your fears about the condition.

Best of luck.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:38 pm
JONES FAMILY

Originally Posted by Stephen
Hi sarah

If you are worried, then you should phone the Doctor that did the exam or your GP, to explain to you in laymans terms what your condition means to you.

I wouldnt worry to much about it. If the Doctor didnt send you straight to your GP or the nearest A&E, you will be okay.
It's normal for the mind to calculate (usually) all the worst case scenarios. Most of the time, you do more harm to yourself worrying than the source of the worry is doing to you!

As far as your visa goes, I'm sure evryone will tell you on this site that they are not looking for supermen or women. Many people have chronic ailments and have no worries with the visa. Many people are grossly overweight and get in: with all the risks that go alongwith obesity.

I would first of all phone your GP and they will alay your fears about the condition.

Best of luck.
thanks for your quick reply Stephen I will do that

take care

Sarah
Old Feb 15th 2007, 3:50 pm
JONES FAMILY

hello just a quick update to let you know that our visa,s were granted last week, so everything was ok with my medicals (just got a big heart with lots of love to give, thats all)

Sarahx
Old Feb 15th 2007, 3:57 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

hello just a quick update to let you know that our visa,s were granted last week, so everything was ok with my medicals (just got a big heart with lots of love to give, thats all)

Sarahx
Thats great news Sarah...CONGRATULATIONS!!!......did'nt see your 'got it' post....or maybe i just missed it....... Best of luck with the move C x
Old Feb 15th 2007, 4:11 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sarahx
Congratulations on the visa. Best of luck with the move.
J x