Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

MEDICAL & PREVIOUS HEART OPERATION

MEDICAL & PREVIOUS HEART OPERATION

Old Sep 1st 2005, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of
Default MEDICAL & PREVIOUS HEART OPERATION

Hi all

We are currently starting the procedure to emigrate via the SIR to South Australia,
however my only concern is that my son who is 8 had corrective heart surgery as a 2 week old baby. This may go against us when it comes to the medicals even though he is fit and well playing the usual football, rugby etc. Does anybody have any experience or advice that may shed some light on whether this will be a proplem or not. I have been told that you have to be clear of any major surgey for a minimum period of 10 years.

Please advise

Regards

Mick

PS Is £2000 to much for an immigration expert to guide us through the whole process
Old Sep 1st 2005, 11:33 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MEDICAL & PREVIOUS HEART OPERATION

Originally Posted by mickagnew
Hi all

We are currently starting the procedure to emigrate via the SIR to South Australia,
however my only concern is that my son who is 8 had corrective heart surgery as a 2 week old baby. This may go against us when it comes to the medicals even though he is fit and well playing the usual football, rugby etc. Does anybody have any experience or advice that may shed some light on whether this will be a proplem or not. I have been told that you have to be clear of any major surgey for a minimum period of 10 years.

Please advise

Regards

Mick

PS Is £2000 to much for an immigration expert to guide us through the whole process
I cant help you but if you try the immigration forum some of the agents post on there and may be able to give you an answer. Also maybe search on there for similar posts - perhaps someone has had similar questions.
All the best with it
Old Sep 1st 2005, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Mick

I had a heart operation for a blocked heart valve, allbeit when i was 6 months old, a few years ago, when i had my medical it wasn't even spoken about.

I wouldn't worry about it to much, not sure what your sons problem was but i dont think it will be a problem.

All the best

Bill
Old Sep 1st 2005, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Belfield 9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

our son also had major heart surgery at 10 weeks old and is now 5, although fit and well he does need cardiac follw up for the rest of his life. We were advised to get as much information and supporting evidence from his consultant at the hospital. After getting a positive letter from the consultant supporting our application to emigrate we submitted this to our agent and they feel that there is no reason as to why we should be refused as since his op he has been fit and well.

Good luck.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BillnLinz
Mick

I had a heart operation for a blocked heart valve, allbeit when i was 6 months old, a few years ago, when i had my medical it wasn't even spoken about.

I wouldn't worry about it to much, not sure what your sons problem was but i dont think it will be a problem.

All the best

Bill
Thanks Bill
A little more re-assurance, for info my son had a switch operation, means swapping of main arteries, has a check up every 2 years and thats it. He`s got the big scar to prove it, as i assume you have.

Mick
Old Sep 1st 2005, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Belfield 9
Hi

our son also had major heart surgery at 10 weeks old and is now 5, although fit and well he does need cardiac follw up for the rest of his life. We were advised to get as much information and supporting evidence from his consultant at the hospital. After getting a positive letter from the consultant supporting our application to emigrate we submitted this to our agent and they feel that there is no reason as to why we should be refused as since his op he has been fit and well.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply

Glad to hear your son is fit and well, as ours. Where are you going and have you submitted visas or medicals yet. Perhaps you could keep us informed as you go, as we can you.

For your information my son had a switch operation, transposition of the main arteries, and probably as yours requires cardiac follow up, however at present he only has a check up every 2 years.

Wonder if there are any others in the same situation

Thanks again

Mick
Old Sep 1st 2005, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

If anyone starts 'look at the size of my scar' competitions at school, he will win every time!!!

It has its uses haha
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BillnLinz
If anyone starts 'look at the size of my scar' competitions at school, he will win every time!!!

It has its uses haha
Hi again

Didnt know you guys had actually gone already, even more re-assuring knowing that, good luck with it all and is it worth it, I presume it is.
My friend went to Brisbane last year, so if you meet a rugby playing plumber called Tom at a pommie picnic say Hi from me.

Regards

Mick
Old Sep 5th 2005, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi

Good luck.
Hello again

Dont know if you can give us some pointers with regards contents of consultants letter as we have our sons 2 yearly checkup today where I am going to ask the consultant if they can write us a similar note to support our application / medical should it be asked for.

Would be much appreciated

Thanks

Mick
Old Sep 5th 2005, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Belfield 9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I hope this is still of use to you!

Your consultants letter should contain the following:-

Age at which your boy presented with symptoms and had his surgery, what surgery he had and date. Any other problems or admissions following surgery. When he was last seen and what the outcome of that appointment was.

A summary of his previous diagnosis and how well his surgery has been, What they recommend for his future treatment/follow-ups, Do they envisage any further surgery and what they feel your sons long term outlook is.

I hope this helps, Good luck for today.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi,

I hope this is still of use to you!

Your consultants letter should contain the following:-

Age at which your boy presented with symptoms and had his surgery, what surgery he had and date. Any other problems or admissions following surgery. When he was last seen and what the outcome of that appointment was.

A summary of his previous diagnosis and how well his surgery has been, What they recommend for his future treatment/follow-ups, Do they envisage any further surgery and what they feel your sons long term outlook is.

I hope this helps, Good luck for today.
Thanks