Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance. medibank v GMHBA

Medical Insurance. medibank v GMHBA

Old Oct 30th 2007, 12:27 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medical Insurance. medibank v GMHBA

Anyone know how the big boys like Medibank Private compare to people like gmhba.

GMHBA appear cheaper, but is that because they have a smaller hospital/doctor/dentist lists, or because they are not-for-profit org, and don't have to support the nice shopping mall centres etc.

Anyone use GMHBA in QLD ?
Old Oct 30th 2007, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Medical Insurance. medibank v GMHBA

Originally Posted by datamile
Anyone know how the big boys like Medibank Private compare to people like gmhba.

GMHBA appear cheaper, but is that because they have a smaller hospital/doctor/dentist lists, or because they are not-for-profit org, and don't have to support the nice shopping mall centres etc.

in my experience dont bother private, you end up paying shortfalls on the difference between what medicare will give and what your insurance will pay out.

Go medicare as its far better than the nhs (which is still fantastic in my eyes) and best of all free.

You get to choose your doc and have a private room on private health but many people in the medical profession on this site say go medicare every time.

If you are pregnant then more often than not private do elective sunroof job. Not in medicare.These are words from a midwife.

Just my opinion after researching it forever and im due another heart valve replacement in 10-15 yrs.

All the best
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:17 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Any more opinions ? Insurance does look expensive, but guess I'm worried about the kids breaking their legs, or us getting older etc
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

Any more opinions ? Insurance does look expensive, but guess I'm worried about the kids breaking their legs, or us getting older etc
If there is an emergency situation you will be seen almost immediatly in an emergency department, patients are seen on a most serious basis.
You can take out ambulance, dental and optical only cover, you don't have to have hopsital cover.
Check out the preffered practioner list with your insurer to make sure there are some in your area, you will get cheaper services from these.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 1:36 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Anderson
in my experience dont bother private, you end up paying shortfalls on the difference between what medicare will give and what your insurance will pay out.

Go medicare as its far better than the nhs (which is still fantastic in my eyes) and best of all free.
Dont forget about the medicare levy surcharge.....for me it works out cheaper paying for a basic private medical insurance plan than paying MLS - I'm sure a lot of people would be in the same boat.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 4:38 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Dont forget about the medicare levy surcharge.....for me it works out cheaper paying for a basic private medical insurance plan than paying MLS - I'm sure a lot of people would be in the same boat.

Yeah, I have a super cheap policy with HCF. It's $33 a month, which works out much less than the MLS.

I just look at it as being a mechanism to allow me to pay a smaller MLS on a monthly basis, instead of all at once at tax time. I don't plan to claim against this poilicy, as it covers so little.

I have had quite a bit of hospital treatment since I arrived, and so far all of it has been absolutely top notch, on the Medicare system. The longest I have had to wait was 6 weeks for a slot for surgery. I'm not complaining.

S
Old Oct 31st 2007, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bcworld
Sorry i cant forget about it if i dont know what it is! LOL

Can you explain please as at the moment i dont have a job and im not planning to until february

cheers

al
Old Oct 31st 2007, 6:46 am
DownUnder

Medicare and the various levies

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/17482.htm
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mr Anderson
Sorry i cant forget about it if i dont know what it is! LOL

Can you explain please as at the moment i dont have a job and im not planning to until february

cheers

al
There is a 1% medicare surcharge for singles earning more than $50,000 and couples earning more than $100,000 per year.
You will also pay the normal 1.5% of your taxable income when you start work.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:17 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smee
There is a 1% medicare surcharge for singles earning more than $50,000 and couples earning more than $100,000 per year.
You will also pay the normal 1.5% of your taxable income when you start work.
And having private health insurance negates the additional 1% sting in the tail.

Be warned that there is an aged loading on taking out private insurance. If you are over 30, then there is a 2% premium surcharge for each year you are over.

This is however waived for immigrants if they take up insurance within 12 months of arriving in Australia.

S
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
And having private health insurance negates the additional 1% sting in the tail.

Be warned that there is an aged loading on taking out private insurance. If you are over 30, then there is a 2% premium surcharge for each year you are over.

This is however waived for immigrants if they take up insurance within 12 months of arriving in Australia.

S
the premium charge for over 30's is waived after 10 years.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

I'm with GMHBA, was once Medibank Private.

In principle it is so, that the higher the premium the more you get back from your health fund, no matter which one you join.

Primarily it is important to think about the reasons why you want or possibly you should have one. As others mentioned before, you don't have to pay the 1% medicare when you earn over $50,000 as a single or $100,000 as a couple. For that reason you are by far better off with a cheap healthfund, eg GMHBA, because at the end of the day, you get something for it, even if it is only for the reason to have an operation now and then rather then being on a waiting list for months.

Secondly, if you don't do it know, again, just get in and take the cheapest option, it saves you a lot of money later in life when you would prefer to have private health cover for whatever reason, because you will have to pay the "age load".

As the midwife says, a birth through a private hospital cost you an arm and a leg. However, even when you have private health cover you don't have to go to a private hospital. You still could give birth in a state hospital. I only go private when I think that is the best option at that point in time for me. I have the highest cover with GMHBA (hospital + extra). In a private hospital, GMHBA + Medicare paid for my shared bed (if only singles are available they pay for that as far as know and I had to pay my excess), they paid for the theatre fees. The surgeon charged $2,500, medicare paid about $900, GMHBA only about 300.

For extras GMHBA pays towards my glasses $250, a tooth crown $300.

Cutting a long story short, the medicare levy of 1% is not giving you any more benefits, you are better off to join a health fund just in case of the future which would be my least consideration.

Last edited by Evelin; Oct 31st 2007 at 10:14 am.