Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance for me?

Medical Insurance for me?

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:08 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Insurance for me?

Just been reading another thread (sorry)

Have to say never thought to look into it furhter as I just assumed that with my heart condition I wouldn't be able to get medical insurance and living in the UK at the moment I wouldn't even know where to start looking - google is only as good as you knowing what to google.

I'll have to have my Mitral Valve replaced in about 2 - 3 years apparently (MVP).

Will i be able to get insurance???
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:43 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Medical Insurance for me?

I think you will, but there are time limits for existing conditions. You need the check that bit out with each insurer.

A quick read for you: http://www2b.abc.net.au/tmb/Client/M...70&m=4683&dm=2
2007 open-heart surgery (a mitral valve replacement); COST = approx $100,000
Pity you can't DIY; the valve itself only costs $6,426 for the model 501DM.

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think you will, but there are time limits for existing conditions. You need the check that bit out with each insurer.

A quick read for you: http://www2b.abc.net.au/tmb/Client/M...70&m=4683&dm=2

Pity you can't DIY; the valve itself only costs $6,426 for the model 501DM.
Thanks ABC

I'm sure I could find someone who'd want to DIY
Reckon Kp will show up in a minute lol
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 1:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Would it be covered by Medicare? (assuming you're already an Australian citizen or permanent resident)
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
Would it be covered by Medicare? (assuming you're already an Australian citizen or permanent resident)
We do have a PR visa,
Would it be covered by medicare?
I keep hearing that its best to go private for something like heart ops?
But then i don't know how true that is

THanks JAJ
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJen
We do have a PR visa,
Would it be covered by medicare?
I keep hearing that its best to go private for something like heart ops?
But then i don't know how true that is.
If you have a PR visa, then yes, it will all be covered by Medicare.

I think it makes no sense to say "go private" for heart ops. Private hospitals aren't equipped for heart ops. This means you'll have it done at a public hospital anyway. And that means, you'll have the same surgical team who would do it under Medicare.

In any case, I think it would be highly unlikely that you could afford the cost of doing such a major op privately. You probably haven't yet realised how very different "private" health care operates in Oz comapred to the UK.

In short: private hospital insurance will cover 25% of the cost per the "Medical Benefits Schedule" (MBS). And even under private hospital cover, Medicare will pay for 75% of the cost per the MBS. But the thing is, as you are having the op done privately, the doctors involved in the op willl not charge the 100% per MBS, they will charge their private fee rates. Let's say that for example they all charge 115% of the MBS price. You will have to pay that extra 15% of their fees then - that part of the cost is not covered by private health insurance.

Now, for a heart op, there will be several doctors involved. Those extra fees will mount up. And we haven't talked about extra fees for medications, room excess fee etc yet.

If you have the op done under Medicare, everything will be covered under Medicare and not cost you a cent (except possibly some consultant's visits before the op and follow up consultant's visit after the op).
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
If you have a PR visa, then yes, it will all be covered by Medicare.

. Private hospitals aren't equipped for heart ops.

hmmmm. yes they are
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 8:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mulben

hmmmm. yes they are
Thanks all interesting reading we do have medicare cards I guess first port of call is to see a dr when we arrive and see what they suggest.

Here in the UK they don't want to do anything until my heart is really struggling (fills ya full of confidence eh?) Which they estimate to be in about 2 - 3 years time.
Perhaps in Oz they won't want to leave it that late?
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know which Private Sydney Hospitals are available but Melbourne has St Vincents and Epworth both leaders in cardiology.
We have been through the private system without private cover, if they know how you are paying for it (no insurance )the fee can be reduced ... it all in the lap of the gods.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 11:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mulben
I don't know which Private Sydney Hospitals are available but Melbourne has St Vincents and Epworth both leaders in cardiology.
We have been through the private system without private cover, if they know how you are paying for it (no insurance )the fee can be reduced ... it all in the lap of the gods.
Well the gods aren't keen on me at the moment