Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance has been worth its weight

Medical Insurance has been worth its weight

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medical Insurance has been worth its weight

Had chronic tooth ache over the weekend, first of all thought it was an ear infection. Anyway couldn't get into my local dentist until Tues so I rang HCF dental centre as there was one up the road from me in Sydney. Emergency appointments 8am and 2pm. So off I trot to the centre for 2pm and was seen by 2.15. I had to have a route canal filling I had been to the dentist only 3 weeks ago as I had been having probs and they couldn't find anything wrong. Anyway they did an x-ray and again could find nothing wrong. Stuck ice cold stuff on tooth, hit the roof then hot stuff again hit the roof. He said a tooth that is very sensitive to hot normally means route canal. Oh god I thought had one before, not pleasant. Pain was so bad I just wanted that bloody needle in my gum. He did the first part there and then and said you will need 2 more visits. But as you are a member the total cost would not exceed $200. If you had gone to your dentist you would have probably had a bill for $1000+ of which HCF would have paid $400. Have been in the plan for 5 months @$212 per month family of 5 full cover. Already hadd $50 for perscription, $200 towards daughters glasses and now the potential saving of over $600. Been money well spent as far as I'm concerned. OK not payed in full but you never know whats round the corner.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:04 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medical Insurance has been worth its weight

Hi,

Hope the pain has subsided a bit now!!

Scuse my ignorance but are HCF an insurer? How did you choose them?

We're off to Aus in January. I went to the dentist on Monday and he told me that he thought I should have a wisdom tooth out :scared: Not bloody likely I said - you can try filling it again first! He's threatened that I'll need root canal if it decays any further

Conscious that we need to look at health insurance but don't know where to start.....

Originally Posted by joho
Had chronic tooth ache over the weekend, first of all thought it was an ear infection. Anyway couldn't get into my local dentist until Tues so I rang HCF dental centre as there was one up the road from me in Sydney. Emergency appointments 8am and 2pm. So off I trot to the centre for 2pm and was seen by 2.15. I had to have a route canal filling I had been to the dentist only 3 weeks ago as I had been having probs and they couldn't find anything wrong. Anyway they did an x-ray and again could find nothing wrong. Stuck ice cold stuff on tooth, hit the roof then hot stuff again hit the roof. He said a tooth that is very sensitive to hot normally means route canal. Oh god I thought had one before, not pleasant. Pain was so bad I just wanted that bloody needle in my gum. He did the first part there and then and said you will need 2 more visits. But as you are a member the total cost would not exceed $200. If you had gone to your dentist you would have probably had a bill for $1000+ of which HCF would have paid $400. Have been in the plan for 5 months @$212 per month family of 5 full cover. Already hadd $50 for perscription, $200 towards daughters glasses and now the potential saving of over $600. Been money well spent as far as I'm concerned. OK not payed in full but you never know whats round the corner.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Insurance has been worth its weight

Originally Posted by Nicstids
Hi,

Hope the pain has subsided a bit now!!

Scuse my ignorance but are HCF an insurer? How did you choose them?

We're off to Aus in January. I went to the dentist on Monday and he told me that he thought I should have a wisdom tooth out :scared: Not bloody likely I said - you can try filling it again first! He's threatened that I'll need root canal if it decays any further

Conscious that we need to look at health insurance but don't know where to start.....
HCF are a medical insurer. Get your teeth done before if you can.

Jo

Oh and the pain has gone for now.